Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Must Bring 5 Technology Items While Travelling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Must Bring 5 Technology Items While Travelling?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2023, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Question Must Bring 5 Technology Items While Travelling?

What are your top 5 must-bring technology items with you while travelling? I'll start first:

1. Wireless phone (usb port) charger - brand: Xiaomi
2. Headphone - brand: Sony XM3
3. iPad
4. Camera - brand: Ricoh GR II
5. GoPro
Old Jan 30, 2023, 5:40 am

1. Phones, three: iPhone 14 Pro Max, Moto Edge 2022, iPhone 8, all with roaming service
2. Tablets two: iPad 11" Pro, iPad Mini 5, both with roaming service
3. WiFi router: NAVPower WD009, provides pass thru WiFi service
4. Headset: Apple Airpods Pro 2, noise cancelling
5. Flashlights: 3-5 Sofirn LEDs, for nightstands & bathroom night light
6. Multi chargers (2) with adapters
7. Battery pack: Sony CP-F10L, 10k mah
This is my usual load out for any trip of more than a day or two. It all goes in my backpack quite easily.
KRSW likes this.

Last edited by draver; Jan 30, 2023 at 7:13 am
Old Jan 31, 2023, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Nice! I'm curious, why three phones? For work?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by lokihardt
Nice! I'm curious, why three phones? For work?

In my situation, the 3 phones are personal, work and client. I work in both the work domain and client domain.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 4:37 am

No, my primary phone is my 14 Pro Max. It carries 2 esims, 1 for voice, 1 for data and burner phone type number.

I like having at least one spare as a loner/hot spot for friends or family if in a group. The Moto is a new, free phone from T-Mobile I am trying to learn to use, and they are all very easy to stow and all have a line of service that gets free high speed data roaming around the world. I have 5 lines besides our 2 primary phones that are all spares essentially. I figure why not max out the value in those? Especially since they each get 5Gb of free high speed international roaming and 4 flights of unlimited data since the June perk of free travel data from TM?

Communication tech is sort of a hobby for me, and serves me well with my moderate world travel.
sea_jeff, bukzin and TGarza like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta
Must bring:
1. Smartphone (+ 1 spare phone with data SIM)
2. Laptop
3. Noise-canceling wireless ear buds (headphones in the past, but I'm trying to slim down my bag significantly)
4. Battery pack
5. "Stuff" - cables, chargers, adaptors

Almost always also bring:
6. Kindle
7. Airfly Duo (for Bluetooth connection to airplane audio)

Sometimes bring but not essential:
8. Wired earbuds ("just in case" I lose my wireless earbuds or something)
9. Flash drive with copies of some documents (usually relying on the cloud seems to be enough)
10. Other "stuff": USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort adaptor, other adaptors, etc.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Always:
1. iPhone XS
2. iPad mini (latest)
3. Airpods pro + wired headset
4. charger bag (cables, chargers, small flashlight) - this is constantly evolving toward more usb c and smaller chargers over time.
5. Charger/battery x 2 (Could probably be slimmed to just one)

Almost always
6. Kindle - I like having a reading device with no other apps or distractions on it.
7. Insta360 One X2 and various mounts.

Sometimes:
8 . Travel guitar and audio interface.
9. Laptop, but since I never travel for work I usually end up not using it and have kind of stopped even considering it.

I have a very small folding wireless keyboard that I brought on a recent trip (for trip reporting maybe?) but I didn't end up using it.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I don't really count cables and chargers as separate devices - they're necessary accessories for the main device.

Work Essentials:
1. iPhone (plus cable and charger)
2. Work MacBook (plus USB-c cable and charger; various dongles if I'm presenting)
3. iPad (plus USB-c cable and charger)
4. AirPod Pro
5. AirTags

Vacation:
1. iPhone (plus cable and charger)
2. iPad (plus USB-c cable and charger)
3. Fujifilm XE-1 camera body and various lenses (plus battery charger and SD cards)
4. AirPod Pro
5. AirTags

I also generally carry a number of camera accessories (tripods, cleaning supplies, etc.) as well as 1-2 power banks and a flashlight. I don't necessarily consider these essential or even "technology" (flashlight).

I once forgot to bring my phone on a business trip once, and it was like I lost an arm or something I missed it so much. I also left earphones behind one trip, and that was also painful. In both these cases, I would be tempted to buy a replacement if I was on a long trip without them.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 5:28 pm

I'll argue that flashlights CAN be tech with the right brand and model. I am very fond of Sofirn LED SC31 Pro model with 18650 cells. Illuminated side button, 1-2000 infinitely variable lumens, strobe, pulse, candle light flicker and more. Solid, durable and inexpensive. Optional magnetic tailcap, diffuser and interchangeable stubby 18350 battery & body. With Anduril software they have about 20 user configurable features.

I just ran one for about 12 hours per night as a bathroom night light on a 15 day cruise without needing to be charged.

SC 31 Pro Flashlight SC 31 Pro Flashlight
KRSW and bukzin like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:34 pm

Traveling for work, personal travel, or both? Domestic USA? Or, International? W/ or w/o the significant other? The kids? Length of travel time? Time at destination?

Personal
Personal Laptop & it's brick
Personal iPhone
USB Charger Brick
USB to Lightning Charger Cord (2m)
Some sort of BT Headset - usually wired/hook over the ear (I'm a runner)
#5 1/2 - USB Thumb Drive

The list could be endless based on other factors above. But, I could "live" with those five items personally. If it's for work, whole larger mess b/c all my work stuff is so locked down.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Always:
2 phones
Laptop, sometimes 2
iPad
Bose ANC headphones

Often:
15” 4K Portable monitor
Power bank
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by lokihardt
What are your top 5 must-bring technology items with you while travelling? I'll start first:

1. Wireless phone (usb port) charger - brand: Xiaomi
2. Headphone - brand: Sony XM3
3. iPad
4. Camera - brand: Ricoh GR II
5. GoPro
If it’s just 5 then:

Phone & charger
Tablet
Headphones
Sony SW100 radio (LW/MW/SW/FM)
Laptop
or
Ebook reader
KRSW likes this.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Feb 6, 2023 at 8:21 am
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:27 pm

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
- 2 phones (work and personal) - I use eSIMs for roaming on the personal phone
- iPad mini
- airpod pro
- macbook air
- my insulin pump ;-)
Old Feb 16, 2023, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by draver
No, my primary phone is my 14 Pro Max. It carries 2 esims, 1 for voice, 1 for data and burner phone type number.

I like having at least one spare as a loner/hot spot for friends or family if in a group. The Moto is a new, free phone from T-Mobile I am trying to learn to use, and they are all very easy to stow and all have a line of service that gets free high speed data roaming around the world. I have 5 lines besides our 2 primary phones that are all spares essentially. I figure why not max out the value in those? Especially since they each get 5Gb of free high speed international roaming and 4 flights of unlimited data since the June perk of free travel data from TM?

Communication tech is sort of a hobby for me, and serves me well with my moderate world travel.

Nice list of travel / comm gear. I’ve held on to my Google Fi service for years mostly for the easy international connections. But data costs are high
while home here in US.

Seems like some of the roaming options from TMobile may be a better choice.

Which of theirs are you using and any negatives while international?

Thx
Old Feb 16, 2023, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
If it’s just 5 then:

Phone & charger
Tablet
Headphones
Sony SW100 radio (LW/MW/SW/FM)
Laptop
or
Ebook reader
Wow, the reviews on that Sony radio are really impressive. Does it weight 3 pounds? Seems a bit heavy if it’s the size of a cigarette box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.