Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

US eSIM card with phone number & data (no plan)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2023, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold

Hi,
I am traveling to the continental US and I would love to have voice&messages within my eSIM card. Is there any way how to obtain an eSim without any monthly based plan and for non-US citizens? I used Airalo and globalesim.app before but both provides only data for their esim. I also discovered the T-Mobile Prepaid Esim App but i crashed on the payment because I do not have US credit card and they verify that.
It is little bit crazy that in 2023 it is not a couple of minutes of work to get esim with data and phone number from your home, but you have to go the physical stores and get overpriced solutions.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:43 am

mint mobile

I use mint mobile to get a US number with data.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mint is the way to go.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:35 pm

Mint Mobile or Visible. Red Pocket Mobile is iPhone only esim.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 6:52 pm

usmobile has 10day trial, but i believe it's verizon-phone only

most are monthly (usmobile gets down to $5-$12/month)

how long do you need the number for?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 8:57 pm

If you have an iPhone, you can use the T-Mobile test drive app to get 30 days free. You do need to be in the U.S. or VPN there to set it up, but you don't need to pay. Download the app in advance and set it up on the wifi at your arrival airport.

I think (but don't remember 100%) that Visible's 14-day trial works without a card. Visible or Mint should also let you pay for your service with a foreign card.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:51 am

Programs: Mucci; BAEC GGL; (In memoriam: KLM Flying Dutchman Royal Wing & FB Platinum Elite)
Globalesim will provide you with add on option of UK/US orCA mobile number alternatively use whatsapp or skype
Old Jan 10, 2023, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies.

Originally Posted by beamac
Globalesim will provide you with add on option of UK/US orCA mobile number
I used them before and it work very well, but since approx. last June they still have some problems and the voice&messages services is not working. They even publish it on their website that they are experiencing *temporary* issues in the US and the voice&messages services is not working (data works well). The skype/whatsapp is not an option for me because I need the US number for receiving sms messages + receiving phone calls

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Mint is the way to go.
Do they provide prepaid one-time only eSim without any contract? Can I buy it online? I was trying to find it on their website but there are only monthly plans.

Originally Posted by paperwastage
most are monthly ... how long do you need the number for?
Exactly I needed just for about 15 days and that is it.

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
If you have an iPhone, you can use the T-Mobile test drive app to get 30 days free. You do need to be in the U.S. or VPN there to set it up, but you don't need to pay. Download the app in advance and set it up on the wifi at your arrival airport.
I have an iPhone and checked the app and it is no longer available, but they have a new version of that, but it is not available in my country App Store I do not have US app store account and do not want go through that troubles just for that.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 4:25 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Don't know where OP is located, but some UK providers (for example EE) have had plans that allow roaming in Europe and North America without extra charges.

If, on the other hand, it's important to have a US number so that people in the US can call you without incurring international charges, then the news is not so good. Both AT&T and T-Mobile used to have plans for a basic phone with a US number where for a flat $ fee per day you could have unlimited voice and texts (but no data except when connected to a wifi network), only payable on the days you actually used the phone; but those days are gone. Only monthly plans now.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1P
Don't know where OP is located, but some UK providers (for example EE) have had plans that allow roaming in Europe and North America without extra charges.
I am located in CZ and the local providers has ridiculous prices for everything (voice, sms, data) in US. It is something like 10-11$ per megabyte of data and around 3$ per minute

Originally Posted by 1P
The news is not so good. Both AT&T and T-Mobile used to have plans for a basic phone with a US number where for a flat $ fee per day you could have unlimited voice and texts (but no data except when connected to a wifi network), only payable on the days you actually used the phone; but those days are gone. Only monthly plans now.
Shoot that is what i was afraid of I knew I saw some prepaid plans without contracts on AT&T website the only downside was that I needed to visit the store and set it up with an agent, but now even this option is gone Really weird that in 2023 it is a big problem to have temporary US number with eSim and data.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by casey89
Do they provide prepaid one-time only eSim without any contract? Can I buy it online? I was trying to find it on their website but there are only monthly plans.

Both Mint and Visible are prepaid month to month. Both have had free promotions to try the service.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Hmm actualy the Mint might be a solution. This is 3 months plan for $45 which is quite costly but it comes with US number:
https://www.mintmobile.com/product/0...sim-card-plan/

There is no contract signing and I can cancel it any time right?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 5:37 am
Original Poster

I am not sure what they want to physically delivery if I select the eSIM card? There is free shipping but not sure shipping of what.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.