Laptop Hard Drive Advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop Hard Drive Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
In a similar situation I have used multiple 'profiles' in edge to access separate office.com / office 365 accounts. I like this over using incognito/private because I can have separate saved logins and bookmarks in the two profiles.

Related to the new HD/SSD topic, most/many drives come with cloning software that makes the replacement simple; Usually I put the new drive in an enclosure, clone it, then swap. Enclosures are ~$20-40 so that beats the $150 copying service fee.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by CarlTheWebmaster
In a similar situation I have used multiple 'profiles' in edge to access separate office.com / office 365 accounts. I like this over using incognito/private because I can have separate saved logins and bookmarks in the two profiles.

Related to the new HD/SSD topic, most/many drives come with cloning software that makes the replacement simple; Usually I put the new drive in an enclosure, clone it, then swap. Enclosures are ~$20-40 so that beats the $150 copying service fee.
Yep, I have one. Cloning the drive is easier than replacing a phone.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 7:44 am

It may be easier, but I find it's not a clean processes. Especially if you're diagnosing a "hard drive failure". My preference is to do a clean install and have a fresh system. You clear out old junk registry entries, you don't have any (or have less) legacy stuff lying around (unless you need to install from an old base and patch accordingly). My systems are always faster as a result.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by CarlTheWebmaster
Enclosures are ~$20-40 so that beats the $150 copying service fee.
FYI, the $150 price included the cost of a new SSD (compatible with my laptop and preloaded with an operating system) and installation. I would be responsible for transferring of the files/documents/folders, etc.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
My approach to replacing a hard drive is to simply clone the existing drive onto an external drive, set the partition to bootable and put the new drive into the machine. No hassle with reinstalling and reconfiguring anything, but obviously that requires some tech knowledge.
I'll add that if they're charging 150 to swap a laptop drive, that should include cloning the existing drive to the new one. The physical swap on a laptop of that size is quite likely a matter of a few screws and a plastic panel for about 5-10 minutes of work.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 6:01 pm

Replacing a rotating hard drive with an SSD is the best bang for the buck upgrade for a laptop like yours.
I've done it plenty of times using Samsung SSDs. The Samsung Data Migration software makes it quick & painless. There should be no need to copy/recopy your files.

Having said that, if your budget allows for a new laptop you should at least take a look to see what you might want.
In my experience, many consumer-grade 17" laptops (not gaming laptops) of your vintage and older have crap components and sell simply because they have a 17" screen.
Current 17" models may be better, and there are tons of 15" - 16" options if that screen size works for you.
For a new laptop make sure it either comes with 16GB RAM or has an empty/available RAM slot to allow for a later upgrade. Laptops with 12GB rub me the wrong way, maybe I just like multiples of 8.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
I'll add that if they're charging 150 to swap a laptop drive, that should include cloning the existing drive to the new one. The physical swap on a laptop of that size is quite likely a matter of a few screws and a plastic panel for about 5-10 minutes of work.
Maybe for somebody used to working on that particular laptop. Even once I found out where the drive was hiding it was probably 20 minutes for the swap.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Maybe for somebody used to working on that particular laptop. Even once I found out where the drive was hiding it was probably 20 minutes for the swap.
For most modern laptops, any SSD should be on the "underside" of the mainboard and should only take about 10-15 minutes to swap out (should being the key word). Some systems had the SSD under the keyboard. Those were the pains in the behind and would require an hour or so to make sure all the cables were mapped and unplugged and then take out the mainboard, replace the drive and then reverse your steps.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
For a large laptop such as the OP's, the process should be even faster as space is less of an issue. Only caveat is some systems having the weird non-standard connectors (SFF-8784?) that was tried out a few years ago.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
For a large laptop such as the OP's, the process should be even faster as space is less of an issue. Only caveat is some systems having the weird non-standard connectors (SFF-8784?) that was tried out a few years ago.
Actually that's not necessarily true. HP would use standard interfaces as it's easier and cheaper to get replacements. That said, bigger usually means bigger battery. Things are still usually tight in terms of space.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
For most modern laptops, any SSD should be on the "underside" of the mainboard and should only take about 10-15 minutes to swap out (should being the key word). Some systems had the SSD under the keyboard. Those were the pains in the behind and would require an hour or so to make sure all the cables were mapped and unplugged and then take out the mainboard, replace the drive and then reverse your steps.
Mine was on the main board but quite a bit had to come apart to get to it. It's been long enough I don't recall the details.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I guess I'm lucky that my motley collection of various devices from UMPCs (tiny Fujtsu - didn't end up shelling out for a 1.8" SSD) to standard laptops (Acers) with Lenovo Yoga and HP/Compaq convertible inbetween were easy enough to work on and most required only 1-2 min. with a screwdriver at most to remove the HDD, and/or change the RAM if possible.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
If you are a little uncertain about swapping a hard drive, youtube is your friend to show you the way.
DenverBrian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.