Community
Wiki Posts
Search

i think virtual number is what i need

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2022, 11:10 am
Original Poster

i think virtual number is what i need

Expat here who cannot get SMS from companies for account approvals because I don't have a US phone number. Once had hangout/GV number but was closed down when I couldn't connect to old "real" number.

Now in the US and I would like to get a phone number that would allow me when back abroad to accept messages and calls to prove identity

please recommend a good, inexpensive way to do this. many thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 12:40 pm

Do u have access to a phone that would support wifi calling by usa carriers (eg most iphones, some Samsung/pixel)

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 19, 2022 at 3:26 pm
Old Oct 19, 2022, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I’m in much the same position and currently use Fi but it’s way overpriced. Looking into Plum but not convinced.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 5:07 pm

The Walmart Freedom Pop T Mobile sim costs $10 to purchase but the monthly plan is free with minimal voice, text and data. The plan includes WiFi calling. Freedom Pop was purchased by Red Pocket. I haven’t tested the sim outside the US. Just mentioning this as an option.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TGarza
The Walmart Freedom Pop T Mobile sim costs $10 to purchase but the monthly plan is free with minimal voice, text and data. The plan includes WiFi calling. Freedom Pop was purchased by Red Pocket. I haven’t tested the sim outside the US. Just mentioning this as an option.
Freedom Pop brought back the free plan?! I had a few of their SIMs in some old phones but dropped them when they went to a minimum monthly charge.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Freedom Pop brought back the free plan?! I had a few of their SIMs in some old phones but dropped them when they went to a minimum monthly charge.
yes and without the Freedom Pop app for calls
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Do u have access to a phone that would support wifi calling by usa carriers (eg most iphones, some Samsung/pixel)
I think so.

Have a xiaomi Poco pro 3.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:00 am

Programs: NEXUS, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, United MileagePlus
I have a Google Voice number as an alternative phone number to give to potential mass marketers (including some financial institutions). Usually I can get an SMS and the verification goes through, but for some accounts I get an error message that the number cannot be verified.
BTW, I am based in the US
Old Oct 21, 2022, 3:32 am

My experience has been that Google Voice works 99% of the time for SMS verifications if you've ported a number in from a real cell provider rather than have GV assign you one. The cheapest way to do that is to sign up with Fi (whose numbers come from T-Mobile's blocks) and then cancel, taking the option to port to GV for free. You can also port in any number you want by paying $20.

The only verifications that don't work are the ones like the IRS used to use where they actually check the name on the account with the carrier--but those are super rare and don't work on prepaid either.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: NEXUS, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, United MileagePlus
Thanks for the comment. I actually did import the number from a cell provider (I think it was Straight Talk, not one of the main carriers) as I changed regions in the US. I know Straight Talk did have some issues with phone number verification so maybe this is a Straight Talk rather than Google issue.

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
My experience has been that Google Voice works 99% of the time for SMS verifications if you've ported a number in from a real cell provider rather than have GV assign you one. The cheapest way to do that is to sign up with Fi (whose numbers come from T-Mobile's blocks) and then cancel, taking the option to port to GV for free. You can also port in any number you want by paying $20.

The only verifications that don't work are the ones like the IRS used to use where they actually check the name on the account with the carrier--but those are super rare and don't work on prepaid either.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by MarcDavidMiller
Thanks for the comment. I actually did import the number from a cell provider (I think it was Straight Talk, not one of the main carriers) as I changed regions in the US. I know Straight Talk did have some issues with phone number verification so maybe this is a Straight Talk rather than Google issue.
That'll be an issue with anything other than postpaid service on the big three carriers--the service provider (IRS is the main one) tries to verify the customer details against the carrier's account records, but prepaid carriers often don't even keep all that info, much less have a mechanism to verify it.

For the much more common SMS-as-second-factor, anything that looks like a "real" number as opposed to VoIP will work.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
For the much more common SMS-as-second-factor, anything that looks like a "real" number as opposed to VoIP will work.
How does a number "look like" a "real" number?

Whether VOIP/Google Voice numbers will work for verification depends entirely on whether the service wants to allow such numbers or not. In my experience, places like banks generally will allow them, because they are just as valid as any other number for things like 2FA. Many online services where you have to give a number during sign-up will NOT accept them, because the point of giving that number is less around authentication, and more around confirming that you're not a bot or someone trying to create multiple accounts - but is much easier to do using VOIP accounts than if a "real" number is required.

There's multiple services these providers use to determine if a number is a physical mobile, VOIP, or something else. You can get a vague idea of what a number is by going to https://freecarrierlookup.com/ and entering the number. Google Voice and most VOIP numbers will show up as "Is Wireless: n". Mobiles will show up as "y".
Old Oct 30, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Originally Posted by TGarza
yes and without the Freedom Pop app for calls
FreedomPop does not support roaming , therefore native wifi calling while overseas will not work either.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by ovacikar
FreedomPop does not support roaming , therefore native wifi calling while overseas will not work either.
Freedompop supports WiFi calling and texting which worked for some on another forum outside the US but there are better options. FreedomPop will cancel inactive lines.

Last edited by TGarza; Oct 31, 2022 at 5:16 am
Old Oct 30, 2022, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
delete...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.