Received text message in flight NOT connected to wifi

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2022, 9:21 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Received text message in flight NOT connected to wifi

On WED 6/8 i was flying on DL 1104 from, JFK to LAS, my cellphone was NOT connected to Wi-Fi,in mid flight my iPHONE was in my shirt pocket signaled that a text message had been received, four attempts to respond failed.
I noticed there was one “bar” showing which then disappeared for the rest of the flight.
I was under the impression that cellular only worked via Wi-Fi while flying.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Delta’s in-flight messaging is for internet messaging only (iMessage, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp), not SMS, and you must be connected to the Wi-Fi to use it.

If you had one bar of cellular signal showing, it sounds like you forgot to put your phone into airplane mode and it momentarily contacted a ground tower.
DutchessPDX and KRSW like this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:14 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Surprised your battery didn't drain completely before you got to LAS. Constant hunting for a tower connection typically kills battery life.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by javabytes
Delta’s in-flight messaging is for internet messaging only (iMessage, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp), not SMS, and you must be connected to the Wi-Fi to use it.

If you had one bar of cellular signal showing, it sounds like you forgot to put your phone into airplane mode and it momentarily contacted a ground tower.
Doesn’t the Wi-Fi calling thing turn on anyway for some in airplane mode when connected to Delta’s in-flight Wi-Fi and thus get SMS that way anyway?

Originally Posted by nrr
On WED 6/8 i was flying on DL 1104 from, JFK to LAS, my cellphone was NOT connected to Wi-Fi,in mid flight my iPHONE was in my shirt pocket signaled that a text message had been received, four attempts to respond failed.
I noticed there was one “bar” showing which then disappeared for the rest of the flight.
I was under the impression that cellular only worked via Wi-Fi while flying.
Sometimes natural conditions or other circumstances are such that RF signals momentarily reach more extreme distances than commonly typical.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Doesn’t the Wi-Fi calling thing turn on anyway for some in airplane mode when connected to Delta’s in-flight Wi-Fi and thus get SMS that way anyway?
True, it could, though that would require not just connecting to the Wifi network but also buying internet access, which it seems OP did not do.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by javabytes
True, it could, though that would require not just connecting to the Wifi network but also buying internet access, which it seems OP did not do.
With US T-Mobile users on Delta, in-flight WiFi was at times freely connecting for communication connectivity if having used it repeatedly before. Even if never having paid for DL WiFi.

But in this case the OP may have had one bar of cellular service for long enough to get an SMS.
KRSW likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 11, 2022 at 10:12 pm
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I am shocked--SHOCKED--that you did not have your phone in airplane mode.

Oh, the humanity.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is not uncommon. I frequently get "Welcome To Canada" alerts from Google Fi on flights LGA--ORD.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:10 am

Yep, it's possible. Usually cell service (at least in the USA) cuts off around 2,000' AGL. Many factors involved here. I've had SMS come in at 8,000' AGL, but replying took a bit of effort. I've heard of it working much higher in rare cases.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't iPhones route all SMS through Apple's servers? If that's the case, I'd imagine SMS messages would be more than happy to be transmitted via WiFi. I know my T-Mobile Samsung S10+ works fine on Gogo for all its functions, even phone calls. I also know that Android phones also can turn on WiFi in the background. Not sure if iPhones do this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by KRSW
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't iPhones route all SMS through Apple's servers?
That’s not correct. Even if both the sender and receiver are using iMessage, the message is sent as Green SMS if the data connection is poor. iMessage can be turned off for all text messages to send as SMS.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by TGarza; Jun 15, 2022 at 9:35 am
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: SA, JAL, EK
I can attest to the occasional longevity of cell phone network. I was able to receive and send both text and data for twenty minutes after takeoff from SEA to SFO, till about the time we passed Mt St Helens.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TGarza
That’s not correct. Even if both the sender and receiver are using iMessage, the message is sent as Green SMS if the data connection is poor. iMessage can be turned off for all text messages to send as SMS.
Indeed.

It’s with TMobile WiFi enabled and active on the in-flight internet-connected iPhone that SMS gets routed via T-Mobile’s servers while the phone’s connection to the ground cells is non-existent or extremely poor.

SMS can be transmitted via WiFi. I do it routinely, as my Wi-Fi calling devices are most often in airplane mode even on the ground; and the calls and SMS and iMessages come in and go out via the WiFi, not cell phone service when in “airplane mode”. But in such case, it would show something like “T-Mobile WiFi” squeezed in between the airplane symbol and the Wi-Fi signal arc bars on the phone.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 15, 2022 at 11:28 pm
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nerd
This is not uncommon. I frequently get "Welcome To Canada" alerts from Google Fi on flights LGA--ORD.
Many years ago, I was flying ARN to either ORD or EWR. I forgot to turn off my flip phone. When I got it out of my carry-on, I had a text message saying, "Welcome to the Azores". We were no where close to that country.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Many years ago, I was flying ARN to either ORD or EWR. I forgot to turn off my flip phone. When I got it out of my carry-on, I had a text message saying, "Welcome to the Azores". We were no where close to that country.
Did you happen to have either WiFi calling enabled on that phone or a non-US SIM plan on that phone?

Maybe you got the message around Massachusetts en route to EWR? There is the 351 phone area code in the north east part of MA there. And Azores come up with 351 for the international country phone code first in alphabetical order.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 16, 2022 at 2:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.