Reload this Page >

Gmail's move to OAuth 2.0 authentication for older apps

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

My current email set up is

"Real" inbox hosted on isp
Gmail fetches copies of that mail
My pop3 client (Pegasus Mail) then downloads from gmail.

Pegasus is long-in-the-tooth and does not have OAuth 2.0 capability. But I hate to give it up, having used it for 30 years.

Two-factor authentication won't work on this setup (I've tried)

In little words can you tell me what my options are? I **think** they are a) start pop3 fetching directly from isp inbox; b) get a more modern pop3 program.

I do NOT want to move exclusively to a cloud/web interface; Pegasus' folder capabilities are so superior.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:06 pm

lol, you are just one of those people that doesn't like change, even when it's for the best. They have to drag you kicking and screaming to use map and a modern email client.

You can use any modern email client with gmail, you aren't forced to use their web interface. I use the web interface for searching email, and setting up filters.

Other than that I'm using Apple Mail as the main client on the desktop these days, which is a decent client. I gave up trying to stay with thunderbird some time ago. On my phone, I use the gmail app. In your case, I'm sure you will find lots of reasons to hate any of those because they aren't pegasus and that's what you are used to and what you like. I liked t-bird, but it became so problematic at one point with being able to authenticate itself with the mail servers, I had to move away from it rather than continue to struggle with those issues.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting anything I do is appropriate for you or anything you will like.

-David
Kgmm77 and gfunkdave like this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Apr 10, 2022 at 9:14 pm
Old Apr 11, 2022, 6:59 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
lol, you are just one of those people that doesn't like change, even when it's for the best. They have to drag you kicking and screaming to use map and a modern email client.
Yes, I am a Luddite in some ways, but Pegasus Mail is incredibly configurable (some alternative pop3 clients are pretty dumbed down) and I like having 30 years worth of email in one program

You can use any modern email client with gmail, you aren't forced to use their web interface. I use the web interface for searching email, and setting up filters.
I do the same and my Pegasus Mail fetches from gmail. (Although I think that I'm going to change it to fetching direct from the isp now that they have spam tools as good as gmail's)

Other than that I'm using Apple Mail as the main client on the desktop these days, which is a decent client. I gave up trying to stay with thunderbird some time ago. On my phone, I use the gmail app. In your case, I'm sure you will find lots of reasons to hate any of those because they aren't pegasus and that's what you are used to and what you like. I liked t-bird, but it became so problematic at one point with being able to authenticate itself with the mail servers, I had to move away from it rather than continue to struggle with those issues.
I use gmail and Google calendar on my phone (where it syncs to my Time and Chaos calendar). I've been playing with Thunderbird but find it something of a resource hog. Until yesterday, I did not know that Microsoft has a "Mail and Calendar" program for those of us who don't need Outlook's complexity and simply despise it. It's actually a nice program.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting anything I do is appropriate for you or anything you will like.

-David
I always pay attention to your wisdom even when don't heed it And we still have our shared love of iPhones, I presume?
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:01 am

Another option may be to have gmail forward email to your Pegasus address, rather than having Pegasus pull email from gmail.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure what the problem is - didn't Gmail announce this several years ago? You just create an app-specific password for your Pegasus and use that. Or am I missing something?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'm not sure what the problem is - didn't Gmail announce this several years ago? You just create an app-specific password for your Pegasus and use that. Or am I missing something?
I **think** this is saying that that app-password approach will no longer work on some (like Pegasus Mail) programs:

On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in
technology
[email protected]
To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of
third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account
using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in
using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0.

*What do you need to do?*
*Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier,* has less secure access to
your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other email
software where you can sign in using *Sign in with Google*.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And it shouldn't matter if you use an app password.

https://support.google.com/accounts/.../6010255?hl=en
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:43 am
Original Poster

This isn't very definitive: "Because less secure apps can make your account more vulnerable, Google will automatically turn this setting off if it’s not being used."

I use this setting multiple times a day with Pegasus Mail. So maybe I don't need to do anything but wait and see....
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just turn off the "less secure app" access and switch to an app password for Pegasus. It's a happy medium.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
My current email set up is

"Real" inbox hosted on isp
Gmail fetches copies of that mail
My pop3 client (Pegasus Mail) then downloads from gmail.

Pegasus is long-in-the-tooth and does not have OAuth 2.0 capability. But I hate to give it up, having used it for 30 years.

Two-factor authentication won't work on this setup (I've tried)

In little words can you tell me what my options are? I **think** they are a) start pop3 fetching directly from isp inbox; b) get a more modern pop3 program.

I do NOT want to move exclusively to a cloud/web interface; Pegasus' folder capabilities are so superior.
Wow... I haven't heard of anyone using Pegasus Mail in YEARS....

I did a quick search... It looks like the dev team is working on it supporting it, although it's been six months since the last update...
cblaisd likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Ive been having the hardest time with this. I keep getting these emails saying I will lose access, and then I make all these changes via godaddy and spend hours doing it, and then a few months later, it wants to change things again. Is there someone I can just pay to do this? ha!

"There are email accounts in your organization using Basic Authentication, which Microsoft will no longer support after 06/08/2023. You'll still be able to access your email through your browser, but not from an email app, such as Outlook or Apple Mail — don't worry, none of your emails will be lost.

In order to continue using your email apps, you need to update your settings from POP/IMAP to Exchange for each device you use to check your email. This also applies to other users who are set up within your account using POP/IMAP settings."

But, they don't explain how to do it or what to put in its place.
Old May 29, 2023, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Ive been having the hardest time with this. I keep getting these emails saying I will lose access, and then I make all these changes via godaddy and spend hours doing it, and then a few months later, it wants to change things again. Is there someone I can just pay to do this? ha!

"There are email accounts in your organization using Basic Authentication, which Microsoft will no longer support after 06/08/2023. You'll still be able to access your email through your browser, but not from an email app, such as Outlook or Apple Mail — don't worry, none of your emails will be lost.

In order to continue using your email apps, you need to update your settings from POP/IMAP to Exchange for each device you use to check your email. This also applies to other users who are set up within your account using POP/IMAP settings."

But, they don't explain how to do it or what to put in its place.
Not an exchange expert, but forcing you to Exchange from POP or imap could be kinda painful. I mean if you're using Outlook, you could export to PST and then re-import it. Not sure about Apple Mail or other apps. Also costs might go up as Exchange accounts are usually not free.
Old May 29, 2023, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know someone I could pay to manage the whole process for me? I’m just a sole email person, but I import from hotmail and gmail to my godaddy personal domain, so a tiny added later. Jsut so over spending hours and hours w chat bots and foreign chat people that really are misguiding people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.