Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Way to put photos on one file rather than upload individually?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

My normal expense report procedure is to scan my receipts and save them all into one file on my laptop where I will upload that file into the expense report portal for my company. Well my HP printer died this morning with a general error message saying "call HP". Helpful.

Anyway I can take a photo of each of my receipts but sounds like a pain to upload one at a time into the portal. Any recommendations on how to save all together

Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by enviroian
My normal expense report procedure is to scan my receipts and save them all into one file on my laptop where I will upload that file into the expense report portal for my company. Well my HP printer died this morning with a general error message saying "call HP". Helpful.

Anyway I can take a photo of each of my receipts but sounds like a pain to upload one at a time into the portal. Any recommendations on how to save all together

Thanks
Winzip? Is that still even a thing?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:46 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold

Thanks
Take a photo of all of them together?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Take a photo of all of them together?
this
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are many apps that will scan a document with your phone camera and save it as a PDF.

Take the PDFs, drag and drop them online to merge into 1 file -

Use a site like:
https://smallpdf.com/merge-pdf
chrisl137 and mfranzwa like this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:28 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Or https://online2pdf.com/
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
this
There are some receipts that I don't have printed out
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm often in a similar situation.

The photos I upload one at a time (after cropping and shrinking them). The various documents, (signoffs, details filled in, etc.) I used to take home and scan them to .pdf, bit I got a Fujitsu ScanSnap which is very portable (fits in a little gym bag with power brick and USB cable) and just scan all the docs to a single .pdf (or multiple files with appropriate titles on each one as necessary), and then hit send. For the pix, I think WinZip is still around, or I believe you can just do it from Explorer - just select all of them (or whichever ones you want) and then select "save to compressed folder"

For the pictures, I use an old version of Corel PhotoPaint which makes it easy to crop, straighten out, etc. and then shrink (.jpeg).Of course, all this assumes you have a laptop with the with all the apps, drivers, etc.

I would normally do all this when the job is done, often over a nice cuppa at a local coffee shop with free wi-fi.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The printer in question is one I bought in Chicago so either 2013 or 2014. It's a HP office jet 6700. I went through all the troubleshooting (reset and replaced all ink cartridges) but no dice. It says probably a replacement ink head is best next step and they are $157. I don't think I paid that much for the printer 11 years ago. Perhaps it just has come to it's end life.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The printer in question is one I bought in Chicago so either 2013 or 2014. It's a HP office jet 6700. I went through all the troubleshooting (reset and replaced all ink cartridges) but no dice. It says probably a replacement ink head is best next step and they are $157. I don't think I paid that much for the printer 11 years ago. Perhaps it just has come to it's end life.
Yeah - lot of comments on printers in the Travel Tech forum.

The consensus seems to be:

1. Forget about inkjets unless you really need pro-quality photo copies. You've already run into the "why" of this.
2. Laser printers have gotten much cheaper, the toner doesn't dry out, and is available at reasonable prices.
3. Some lasers are even small enough to take on site with you, or use whatever is available. Pretty much any PCL5/6 driver will work with them, and the print, diagrams, whatever are very sharp and clear.

If you really need color, that's a different story. Check the forum for thread(s) on color lasers.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigLar
Yeah - lot of comments on printers in the Travel Tech forum.

The consensus seems to be:

1. Forget about inkjets unless you really need pro-quality photo copies. You've already run into the "why" of this.
2. Laser printers have gotten much cheaper, the toner doesn't dry out, and is available at reasonable prices.
3. Some lasers are even small enough to take on site with you, or use whatever is available. Pretty much any PCL5/6 driver will work with them, and the print, diagrams, whatever are very sharp and clear.

If you really need color, that's a different story. Check the forum for thread(s) on color lasers.
The only reason I use a printer is to print out receipts that I don't get live and scan them. That's it.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only reason I use a printer is to print out receipts that I don't get live and scan them. That's it.
So instead of just printing them out as a PDF, you print the document out hardcopy, and then scan it to a PDF?

What am I missing here..
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

- dupe -
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are some receipts that I don't have printed out
Print or export them straight to PDF and merge with the rest of them.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This free software has the ability to merge images (jpg, etc) into 1 file (vertical or horizontal). And reduce the size and other features.
https://www.irfanview.com/

winzip has a combine pdf feature
cblaisd and Loren Pechtel like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 19, 2022 at 1:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.