Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IPTV

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

IPTV

Which service do folks here use? I am looking to get access to televised items in a different country.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Google Chromecast + NordVPN + Swedish TV apps

Easy enough, although rebooting and disconnecting/reconnecting the VPN connection is necessary once a while.
TGarza likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 12:59 pm

Seconded on NordVPN. I've had far better luck with them than any of their competitors for getting around geoblocking. Not 100%, but I've always been able to get it to work with a couple reconnects.

I don't use a VPN for "privacy" so I don't really care that they're run by a Panamanian shell company.
TGarza likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

I'm actually fine for VPN. My VPN provider of ~15 years is working well. I was looking for IPTV providers.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:24 pm

Depends on the shows you're looking for. I find for countries I would be interested in (or those I set up for), browser based is often good enough. Occasionally if it's an app, I just set up a VPN for them if they're looking for entertainment (soaps, dramas, etc.) vs. news-based (Youtube is often helpful here, but if not, there are other alternatives)
Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Depends on the shows you're looking for. I find for countries I would be interested in (or those I set up for), browser based is often good enough. Occasionally if it's an app, I just set up a VPN for them if they're looking for entertainment (soaps, dramas, etc.) vs. news-based (Youtube is often helpful here, but if not, there are other alternatives)
Any IPTV service recommendations?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by sapman986
Any IPTV service recommendations?
You'd need to provide a bit more details like language and what country you're going to be based in (at the least). I have seen cases where payments have been rejected (service cut off) and where credit cards were shut down (considered fraud). I'm based on Canada and have helped some of my neighbours source services for chinese language stuff (mostly by the regular cable providers who use IPTV stuff) or through a few web sites. I have tried a few android boxes, unfortunately these tend to have a habit of the apps getting shut down shortly after they're bought and at a considerable cost (these boxes often cost $100+).

What you might consider doing... Head to your nearest ethnic mall ( in my case, Pacific Mall or First Markham Place for chinese language stuff) and snoop around the A/V shops. They will often have providers listed there. Then do some research on the company (eg, age, channels provided, where they're based, etc.). I'm not saying this to be annoying. It's just that I've been burned (and seen others burned) by some of these. With illegal providers, often your credit card will get compromised. Some of these pirate their signals and get shut down... or in a few cases, since the provider is not within country, some of them get flagged and blocked by credit card providers as suspicious transactions. Depending on what you're looking for (eg, a source of news for people) there might be free legit sources as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.