Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have to suddenly be out of town for over a month. How do I quickly secure all PCs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I have to suddenly be out of town for over a month. How do I quickly secure all PCs?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Due to a family emergency, I have to suddenly be out of town for over a month.

I have 3 PCs at home... not encrypted and only requires a Windows password to log-in... plus several portable hard drives, none of them are encrypted. Yes, me being old and stupid.... I kept a lot of sensitive personal and financial data on them. Yes, I deserve to be judged for my stupid, after I finish dealing with this family emergency.

Short of yanking all the nvme M.2 SSDs out of the computers and take them with me, is there a quick way to secure them? (just in case my home is broken into and someone steals my PCs) As for the large 3.5" portable hard drives, I'm thinking of just taking them to self-storage unit where I keep most of my family's old junk and leaving them in a beat-up old leather couch?

My house has a security system, several Blink cameras, as well a couple of nosy neighbors.(who didn't even mange to stop a recent porch)....
Old Dec 16, 2021, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HibernateNow
As for the large 3.5" portable hard drives, I'm thinking of just taking them to self-storage unit where I keep most of my family's old junk and leaving them in a beat-up old leather couch?
I'd probably just take your desktop computers there, too.

I leave my house for four weeks every summer. Never gave it a thought. Don't even have security cameras or an alarm system. Then again, I live in a super low crime area of the suburbs--but it does help I live on a cul-de-sac.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
How high-crime is your area? If it's just "normal," then shutting all PCs down (assuming your Windows password isn't "password" or some way-too-easy guess) and engaging your security system should be plenty.

The 3.5 inch hard drives: Triple bag or quadruple bag them in Ziplocs and drop them in the toilet tank. Or shove them in a return air vent of your HVAC system, back far enough so they're invisible. No casual burglar is going to look there.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I'd probably just take your desktop computers there, too.
Unless it is some kind of high tech enhanced security storage unit, I really don't think a normal storage unit with a pad lock is any safer than home? I think if OP is really that worry about his house being burglarized, just hide the drives somewhere in the house like another poster suggested. Although I don't think I would put them in the toilet tank... LOL.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Can you turn on BitLocker for the drives before you go? That will start the encryption process but it may not complete before you go and there's a risk that Windows reboots itself (Windows loves to reboot itself to install upgrades, at the least opportune moments), after which I am not sure whether the process automagically restarts (I assume it does but I am not 100% sure).
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Update:

I used my cat's spare, never-used litterbox. I put all the hard drives in plastic bags at the bottom of the litterbox. (my cat is being boarded at a pet hotel, so nobody will be using it) I dumped a new bag of cat litter over the hard drives and filled them to the usual amount that I give my cat. Since it's clumping cat litter, I also just the right amount to simulate cat pee. (which created several authentic-looking clumps that my cat usually made) I also made the area around the litterbox very messy, exactly like how my cat does it all the time. Was thinking about using the real clumps that my cat made, but I don't want to imagine what uncleaned litterbox will smell like in a month.

If a burglar wants to scoop up all the cat litter to look for stuff in my house... well... all I can say is that he is in the wrong profession.

Now I just have to remember where they are after I come back.(or after I pick up my cat from the pet hotel) If I forget the litterbox, my cat will probably head there and make my hard drives smell FOEVER!(yes, even through the heavy-duty plastic bags that I used)
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Due to a family emergency, I have to suddenly be out of town for over a month.

I have 3 PCs at home... not encrypted and only requires a Windows password to log-in... plus several portable hard drives, none of them are encrypted. Yes, me being old and stupid.... I kept a lot of sensitive personal and financial data on them. Yes, I deserve to be judged for my stupid, after I finish dealing with this family emergency.

Short of yanking all the nvme M.2 SSDs out of the computers and take them with me, is there a quick way to secure them? (just in case my home is broken into and someone steals my PCs) As for the large 3.5" portable hard drives, I'm thinking of just taking them to self-storage unit where I keep most of my family's old junk and leaving them in a beat-up old leather couch?

My house has a security system, several Blink cameras, as well a couple of nosy neighbors.(who didn't even mange to stop a recent porch)....
Lasers?

Update:

I used my cat's spare, never-used litterbox. I put all the hard drives in plastic bags at the bottom of the litterbox. (my cat is being boarded at a pet hotel, so nobody will be using it) I dumped a new bag of cat litter over the hard drives and filled them to the usual amount that I give my cat. Since it's clumping cat litter, I also just the right amount to simulate cat pee. (which created several authentic-looking clumps that my cat usually made) I also made the area around the litterbox very messy, exactly like how my cat does it all the time. Was thinking about using the real clumps that my cat made, but I don't want to imagine what uncleaned litterbox will smell like in a month.

If a burglar wants to scoop up all the cat litter to look for stuff in my house... well... all I can say is that he is in the wrong profession.

Now I just have to remember where they are after I come back.(or after I pick up my cat from the pet hotel) If I forget the litterbox, my cat will probably head there and make my hard drives smell FOEVER!(yes, even through the heavy-duty plastic bags that I used)
Yeah, that could be a catastrophe.

David
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Update:

Have some giant flower bed metal pot big enough to hold the well-sealed plastic-wrapped hard drives? Thieves may knock over the pot, but they are unlikely to dig through the thing. Hopefully you don't have someone watering the plants while you are away.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Have some giant flower bed metal pot big enough to hold the well-sealed plastic-wrapped hard drives? Thieves may knock over the pot, but they are unlikely to dig through the thing. Hopefully you don't have someone watering the plants while you are away.
This may be a good idea. Thieves may use metal detectors so just covering the item with kitty litter would not be a deterrent; in fact may be the opposite.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by jbeckett
This may be a good idea. Thieves may use metal detectors so just covering the item with kitty litter would not be a deterrent; in fact may be the opposite.
im calling BS on any thief breaking into a personal residence with a metal detector. That’s over the top. And please don’t put your stuff in a toilet tank. Also over the top. The air vent is a good idea and the cat litter even better.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 3:32 pm

What it the thieves read Flyertalk, break into your house, and see the unused litter box? By removing the drives you have made it super easy for them to just attach to a USB cradle and pull your data.

What if they break in, install a keylogger on your keyboard, and come back after you returned but have left to go to Target to get groceries.

Or what if they kidnap your cat and hold it hostage until you turn over your checkbook?
Tanic, DenverBrian, HDQDD and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jbeckett
A big metal flower pot’s soil as a hiding spot is suggested for reasons not limited to the extremely unlikely chance of an unauthorized break-in by thieves having so much time as to use a metal detector.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A big metal flower pot’s soil as a hiding spot is suggested for reasons not limited to the extremely unlikely chance of an unauthorized break-in by thieves having so much time as to use a metal detector.
"Dang those metal flower pot thieves!"

David
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Just tape down the sealed hard drives to the bottom of a container of organic oats left on the kitchen counter, place them inside a stuffed teddy bear in a child's bedroom, or stuff them down -- or up, if up for more of a challenge -- a carved hollow on an inside door that is left open if not wanting to tape them into the bottom of a metal flower pot and repot the plant. Odds are that even a thorough burglar group doing a full dump won't mess around closely with these kind of things. Some may tape valuables into a carved out hollow within a book, but when books/book shelves are dumped there's a chance that it goes thump in a way that becomes noticed.

Originally Posted by Collierkr
im calling BS on any thief breaking into a personal residence with a metal detector. That’s over the top. And please don’t put your stuff in a toilet tank. Also over the top. The air vent is a good idea and the cat litter even better.
https://unitedlocksmith.net/blog/10-...t-burglars-use

Some thieves who targeted South Asian heavy neighborhoods in the UK on major temple going days may have used metal detectors to make grabs for home gold stuff.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 17, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:28 pm

Update:

Ok, now that I've gotten the ickiness out of my system... I suspect if you have a low hanging couch, putting it under it would have sufficed (still put it in a freezer bag to keep the dust mites out)... or under the chesterfield (couch would be better). That said, as a reminder, maybe put something in your mailbox calendar to remind you in a month from now where you put them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.