Wiki Posts
Search

Weird iPhone DNS requests

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Weird iPhone DNS requests

Not really travel related but I know there are a bunch of IT security types floating around here...I happened to take a look at my PiHole DNS logs and Mr. Gfunk's iPhone is making a slew of weird DNS lookups. Every 50-70 seconds it looks up two new domains. Each time the domains are gibberish, like nwj34dkio3p13439.33nlowaos0-dhje33ks.com. The PiHole is returning NXDOMAIN for all of them.

Anyone know what's up?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps related to this?

https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-u...ing-in-reports
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
Interesting, thanks. Though he doesn't use Chrome on his iPhone so I don't think that's it. Also don't know why it would do these lookups every minute or so - the article just says Chrome does it on startup.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Interesting, thanks. Though he doesn't use Chrome on his iPhone so I don't think that's it. Also don't know why it would do these lookups every minute or so - the article just says Chrome does it on startup.
Correct. Whatever app it is, it's still interested in seeing how invalid domains are handled.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Not really travel related but I know there are a bunch of IT security types floating around here...I happened to take a look at my PiHole DNS logs and Mr. Gfunk's iPhone is making a slew of weird DNS lookups. Every 50-70 seconds it looks up two new domains. Each time the domains are gibberish, like nwj34dkio3p13439.33nlowaos0-dhje33ks.com. The PiHole is returning NXDOMAIN for all of them.

Anyone know what's up?
A couple of things come to mind. But this reddit thread seems to fit the bill... TLDR: Something on Mr. Gfunk's iphone is trying to determine if the ISP the iphone is using, hijacks the DNS service.

If this doesn't settle it, then you could potentially have other issues which would likely not be pleasant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.