Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Do most hotels offer fast enough internet to host a zoom meeting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MP

We have to do a 4 day trip to a city far from here. We won’t make it back in time for our weekly Zoom Meeting. We reserved a room, but we aren’t sure how to ask the hotel if they offer sufficient upload speed (greater than 7). Do hotels offer faster internet for a fee, or what can we do if what they offer isn’t fast enough? This is the first time we need to do this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:47 am

I think Zoom meeting bandwidth is scaled. If you don't have enough bandwidth, it would just scale down the quality of the video. Some hotels offer premium internet, but I think usually that just raised the download speed not upload speed. You could call ahead and ask. You can also have your phone's hotspot as a backup (if you have it on your plan). My T-mobile hotspot upload speed at my house is 35mbps LTE.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
No. I personally would not count on any public, non-secure connection, if I were HOSTING an important zoom. Hosting uses more bandwidth than just joining a meeting, especially if you use the breakout rooms function. I learned the hard way back during lockdown. The more people who join, the more bandwidth is used.

In this circumstance, I would use mobile phone hotspot and just burn the data. You wouldn't want to look unprofessional if there is a hiccup in the hotel's connection (which can and does happen) and you get booted during your own conference.
funnyfarm299 and Internaut like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:06 pm

A few other tips:
1) Hardwire. If it's an option, go for it. I carry my own travel router and try to go hardwire every chance I get. Might even be worthwhile to rent one of the hotel's conference rooms for this feature alone.
2) If using their WiFi, try to use 5GHz access points if you can. They usually are less congested than the 2.4GHz ones.
3) Some hotels do offer high-speed internet. I know Marriott often offers this, but more often than not I've seen every guest getting full speed lately.
4) Ask the hotel. If it's a larger hotel they'll have someone with some idea. If it's a smaller hotel, try to call outside of school hours, ie: when you're most likely to get a younger person to pick up the phone.
5) If you have any business friends in that town, see if you can borrow their conference room. I've borrowed people's conference rooms before and we've also loaned ours out. They'll know for sure if Zoom works or not.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KRSW
A few other tips:
1) Hardwire. If it's an option, go for it. I carry my own travel router and try to go hardwire every chance I get. Might even be worthwhile to rent one of the hotel's conference rooms for this feature alone.
2) If using their WiFi, try to use 5GHz access points if you can. They usually are less congested than the 2.4GHz ones.
3) Some hotels do offer high-speed internet. I know Marriott often offers this, but more often than not I've seen every guest getting full speed lately.
4) Ask the hotel. If it's a larger hotel they'll have someone with some idea. If it's a smaller hotel, try to call outside of school hours, ie: when you're most likely to get a younger person to pick up the phone.
5) If you have any business friends in that town, see if you can borrow their conference room. I've borrowed people's conference rooms before and we've also loaned ours out. They'll know for sure if Zoom works or not.
I did call, but the person a the other didn’t know anything. I guess i can call around to other hotels.

#1 seems interesting. You’re saying some offer faster internet in a conference room? I didn’t think of that. Something to ask about when we call.

We don’t want Wi-Fi anyway. We did that in 2020 eNough times to know that won’t work well. However, I’m not sure how a ravel router will help if there was only Wi-Fi.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You provide no information about what city or country, or type of accommodation, so the best answer is ‘maybe’ or ‘ask the hotel’. In a top hotel in a large city it is likely to work better than a three star hotel in a city in the middle of Africa.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You provide no information about what city or country, or type of accommodation, so the best answer is ‘maybe’ or ‘ask the hotel’. In a top hotel in a large city it is likely to work better than a three star hotel in a city in the middle of Africa.
I didn’t think it mattered, but we’re going to the Detroit area. It’s in the suburbs (Canton), not in the city.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 3:03 pm
Suspended

I would imagine that any 4*+ hotel in a major metropolitan area in the US will have stable internet for video calls. If in doubt (and I did this earlier this year when I spent two weeks on a remote property on Barbuda) have them run a few speed checks and send you the screenshots.
DeafFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 10:28 am

Canton Michigan has no 4+ star hotels. It is Holiday Inn Expresses and Hampton Inns. That said, there is no problem with the internet in the city. I can’t speak to a particular hotel purchasing a plan which is subpar for its needs. I live three miles from Canton and know the area well.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Canton Michigan has no 4+ star hotels. It is Holiday Inn Expresses and Hampton Inns. That said, there is no problem with the internet in the city. I can’t speak to a particular hotel purchasing a plan which is subpar for its needs. I live three miles from Canton and know the area well.
I grew up in the area too. If the hotel doesn’t work (we’ll call today), are there other places, like a business center or something that offers something like what we’re looking for?

Oh yeah, we are not limited to Canton if there other places in Metro Detroit that have what we need.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In Hyatt and Marriott family hotels in the USA. I haven't had problems using zoom to host meetings from my laptop, although my elite status tends to automatically give me the faster internet if a hotel offers it.

If you don't use a virtual background, think about where you want to position yourself for the meeting. IMO it's unprofessional to see a bed in the background, and you might not want it to be obvious that you're in a hotel room (sign on the back of the door, those random cardboard signs that have largely vanished due to COVID-19, view out the window, etc.).
DeafFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:11 am
Original Poster

The hotel sats that, for a fee, they Can increase the speed for us. That looks like the only choice.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Also, in some hotels the internet only lasts 24 hours at a time. If you’re staying at the hotel, keep that in mind and login to the internet at a time which will expire long before or after your zoom session.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:15 pm

Lately, instead of a virtual background I’ve simply blurred the background.
DeafFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dlaue
Also, in some hotels the internet only lasts 24 hours at a time. If you’re staying at the hotel, keep that in mind and login to the internet at a time which will expire long before or after your zoom session.
Sorry, what does that mean???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.