Wiki Posts
Search

Swapping eSIM for physical?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Swapping eSIM for physical?

I just got an iPhone 13 and it apparently comes with the Verizon profile loaded on the eSim and not a physical SIM. Does anyone know if it's possible/how to swap the eSIM for a physical one? I'd like to be able to use Airalo eSIMs overseas, whenever it is that I get to start going again.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Sure, contact Verizon.
That said, you can use two active eSIMs with the iPhone 13 models, and keep the physical slot for when you travel to places where it is advantageous to get a local SIM. Given Airalo prices, that's just about anywhere, where you'll be there for more than a few days.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044
LordHamster, ESpen36 and crackjack like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh! I didn't know you could use two eSIMs at once. Well, that takes care of that. Thanks!
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 6:01 am

One caveat for those on T-Mobile, they do not know how to put a second T-Mobile esim in to a phone that already has a TM esim. It can be done. I have two TM lines on my 13 Pro Max but there is a procedure to accomplish this due to the phone only having a single EID. You end up importing the second one from another esim capable device (iPhone Typically) on your account. Other esims from roaming carriers like Airalo & KnowRoaming do not have this issue. They will drop in behind your T-Mobile esim without difficulty.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by draver
One caveat for those on T-Mobile, they do not know how to put a second T-Mobile esim in to a phone that already has a TM esim. It can be done. I have two TM lines on my 13 Pro Max but there is a procedure to accomplish this due to the phone only having a single EID. You end up importing the second one from another esim capable device (iPhone Typically) on your account. Other esims from roaming carriers like Airalo & KnowRoaming do not have this issue. They will drop in behind your T-Mobile esim without difficulty.
Details on how to do this?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Details on how to do this?
Easiest way is to have a second iPhone that supports eSim on your iCloud account. Active the second eSim on that phone, and then under settings -> cellular -> add cellular plan transfer it from the old phone to the new phone.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by IslesFan
Easiest way is to have a second iPhone that supports eSim on your iCloud account. Active the second eSim on that phone, and then under settings -> cellular -> add cellular plan transfer it from the old phone to the new phone.
This.

To piggyback on the procedure, you can use a physical sim card to do the same thing. Your iPhone 13 will import a line from a sim card in another esim capable iPhone on your account and convert it to esim on the new host phone. Bada Bing, you would then have 2 T-Mobile esims on the same phone with only 1 IMEI. I tried to use my on line account manager for the second esim import and it wouldn't work. I then contacted 611 first, and then T-Force on Twitter and neither said they could do it. Their reason was their was only 1 IMEI, and it was already in use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.