Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Unusually high data usage with Orbi RBK853?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2021, 7:03 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I like fast wifi speeds. Certainly more than we need for our household use. I purchased a few weeks ago the Orbi RBK853 mesh system. It is outrageously fast.

My problem: After years of 300-600 gbs of data usage a month ( well below my Xfinity cap of 1200).....we have become a data hog. We have not added any new data using electronics nor have changed our habits. The only new piece is the Orbi mesh system. The increase is substantial....this month I went over 1000gbs.

Wondering if anyone else using the Orbi mesh wifi6 system is experiencing a similar dramatic increase in data usage? I have a few more weeks to return it and try something else.

thanks.
Old May 31, 2021, 10:59 am

Does Spectrum provide a network app to monitor devices using data? AT&T provides an app which shows the usage by device. Is your network open to neighbors?
Old May 31, 2021, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TGarza
Does Spectrum provide a network app to monitor devices using data? AT&T provides an app which shows the usage by device. Is your network open to neighbors?
We have Xfinity ( Comcast) and while they provide a map of devices being connected...they do not show individual usage. Calling Comcast they were able to tell me when the high usage started ( May 14th) and what days were the worst....22nd and 23rd ( 80GBs each day).
Old May 31, 2021, 1:44 pm

So let me offer a possibility. Before you used the Orbi, how good was the coverage at home? If you have plenty of mobile data, then maybe take a look at the usage and see if the data might have shifted. Due to how stable my internet has been lately, my mobile data usage has gone up while (due to a construction company futzing around my area) my home internet has gone down. If the coverage has grown or become stronger in some areas, your usage might have increased there and your mobile data might have lowered.

With Android you can also review your apps data usage. Maybe take a look at the last three months to see if any app has done anything abnormally.
Old May 31, 2021, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
So let me offer a possibility. Before you used the Orbi, how good was the coverage at home? If you have plenty of mobile data, then maybe take a look at the usage and see if the data might have shifted. Due to how stable my internet has been lately, my mobile data usage has gone up while (due to a construction company futzing around my area) my home internet has gone down. If the coverage has grown or become stronger in some areas, your usage might have increased there and your mobile data might have lowered.

With Android you can also review your apps data usage. Maybe take a look at the last three months to see if any app has done anything abnormally.
Appreciate the suggestion. Data is turned off on our cell phone. We don't use our cell phone regularly and almost never with data. Mostly for power outages. Cell phones just never caught on at our home.
Old May 31, 2021, 5:54 pm

It is possible that because your WiFi speed is faster, streaming apps (on TV, Roku, etc..) start to use the higher data rate quality (like 4K instead of 1080p). If you watch a lot of streaming videos on your TVs, it could easily double your data usage. If you have kids that watch a lot of YouTube on their phones, the Auto quality could change from 720p to 2K or higher when you have faster WiFi.
Old May 31, 2021, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by david55
Appreciate the suggestion. Data is turned off on our cell phone. We don't use our cell phone regularly and almost never with data. Mostly for power outages. Cell phones just never caught on at our home.
Ok, so one other possibility, if you're in the burbs, have you considered the coverage might have grown to include your neighbours? WPA2 is not that hard to hack. and less load on my own network is always appreciated. Depending on the distance to your neighbours, it might cover them as well. I know at my parents' house, I can see at least three of their neighbours' SSIDs. Wouldn't take much effort to hack them.
Old May 31, 2021, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Do "neighbors" ever actually hack into other neighbors' WiFi? The folks you live next to every day? To save a few bucks a month?

I think you overestimate the typical person's technical skills in saying WPA2-PSK (AES) is "not that hard to hack". (And that's assuming WPA3 isn't being used)
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by CPRich; May 31, 2021 at 8:45 pm
Old May 31, 2021, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by CPRich
Do "neighbors" ever actually hack into other neighbors' WiFi? The folks you live next to every day? To save a few bucks a month?

I think you overestimate the typical person's technical skills in saying WPA2-PSK (AES) is "not that hard to hack". (And that's assuming WPA3 isn't being used)
Define hack. Guessing weak passwords like their pet’s name? Probably. But the number of people sitting at home sniffing packets is a percentage that has so many zeroes after the decimal point that there is no practical concern.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:42 am

Is it possible you are running more speedtests at a high speed? If you use Ookla it will tell you how much data each test consumes. I was surprised on my phone to see that if my results were say 100mbps down, 30 up, it would be close to the speeds combined for data used, or in this case, 130Mb. Probably doesn't matter too much unless your carrier doesn't whitelist Ookla though.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by draver
Is it possible you are running more speedtests at a high speed? If you use Ookla it will tell you how much data each test consumes. I was surprised on my phone to see that if my results were say 100mbps down, 30 up, it would be close to the speeds combined for data used, or in this case, 130Mb. Probably doesn't matter too much unless your carrier doesn't whitelist Ookla though.
Wow.... that might be totally it. I have been obsessed with speed tests the last month or so as I marvel at the fast speeds I am getting on the Orbi. ( 600-700mbps) I had no idea it would affect data usage to that extreme. Thanks so much.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 7:47 am

I discovered this little morsel when comparing my Red Pocket Verizon service with my T-Mobile esim line. It didn't take but a few tests to blow through about half of my VZ data for the first month. At least I don't run enough tests on Comcast to approach my monthly quota, although I do have gigabyte service. I think Ookla is whitelisted by Xfinity also.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by CPRich

Actually yes. There are multiple reasons to use other people's internet. Lots of reasons like why people share Netflix passwords.

As for how hard it is to hack a WPA2 password, there are numerous videos and tutorials on how to do it. Just requires a little time and effort.

Originally Posted by javabytes
Define hack. Guessing weak passwords like their pet’s name? Probably. But the number of people sitting at home sniffing packets is a percentage that has so many zeroes after the decimal point that there is no practical concern.
Word lists are probably the easiest method, but barring any issue, hashing wouldn't take much more effort. You are correct there wouldn't be that many people doing it, but those that would might be of concern.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Actually yes. There are multiple reasons to use other people's internet. Lots of reasons like why people share Netflix passwords.

As for how hard it is to hack a WPA2 password, there are numerous videos and tutorials on how to do it. Just requires a little time and effort.

Word lists are probably the easiest method, but barring any issue, hashing wouldn't take much more effort. You are correct there wouldn't be that many people doing it, but those that would might be of concern.
Do targeted attacks occasionally occur at the hands of more sophisticated threat actors? Sure. The most basic of technical barriers dissuade almost anyone who just casually decides to hack their neighbors' wifi. For example needing to find a wireless NIC that is capable of promiscuous or monitor mode will stop most people before they even get started.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Update

Draver was spot on as to why my data usage was so high for the month of May. (1010gb).

It was all the speed tests I was doing on my blazing fast new Orbi Mesh. For the month of June I did not do any speed tests to try this theory and my data usage dropped to 334gb.

Thanks again Draver for the suggestion and solution.
Need, ajGoes and Craig6z like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.