Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dual Sim 5G is Coming!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Dual Sim 5G is Coming!

On Feb. 1st, Apple released iOS 14.5 Developer Beta that enables two 5G services to operate simultaneously on a capable phone. iPhone 12 models have this hardware capability and hopefully the public Beta will be released soon. I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max with T-Mobile on my esim, and Red Pocket/Verizon on the nano sim. Both get decent 5G service at my home, so I am anxious to test this feature. I typically install most Beta programs when they are released. The hype about any new features is just too tempting to me.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by draver
On Feb. 1st, Apple released iOS 14.5 Developer Beta that enables two 5G services to operate simultaneously on a capable phone. iPhone 12 models have this hardware capability and hopefully the public Beta will be released soon. I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max with T-Mobile on my esim, and Red Pocket/Verizon on the nano sim. Both get decent 5G service at my home, so I am anxious to test this feature. I typically install most Beta programs when they are released. The hype about any new features is just too tempting to me.
Having zero patience and a developer account, I downloaded the 14.5 beta. I can confirm that dual sim 5G works brilliantly as does the unlock with mask on (+ Apple watch).

Was testing with T-Mobile physical sim for Calls/SMS + Visible (Verizon) esim for Data. I also tested with an AT&T Prepaid mvno (Wing alpha) eSim.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

I was jealous, so I also downloaded the Developer Profile for iOS 14.5 and the new Apple Watch 7.4. As LordHamster stated, everything works fine and the mask unlock is really great. I use the Apple Reminders App at the market a lot, and having to drop my mask to unlock my phone was a genuine First World Problem. The Watch Reminders App works OK, but keeps closing on me, and the phone is more legibile for older eyes.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 7:24 pm

i'm guessing it's dualsim SA 5G (Standalone 5G) or NSA 5G (or both??

Dont think apple would have VoNR yet, so i'm guessing DSDV still works?

two 5G services to operate simultaneously
not sure how this would work if VoNR isn't released yet, and the iPhone isn't a dual active phone

it's likely the same as DSDV (LTE)?
one active (5G) data connection, voice (via VoLTE EPS fallback) on either SIM will still work

aka you can still receive/make calls on either SIM over data, (LTE/5G) data is actively used only on one SIM
Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage
i'm guessing it's dualsim SA 5G (Standalone 5G) or NSA 5G (or both??
For my T-Mobile sim. I have the option in the 14.5 cellular settings to turn on SA 5G. I have it off for now as I believe for the next several months at least NSA will be better. I think even if the SA toggle is on, it will fall back to NSA if there is no SA available in the area. (Have not tested this, nor do I really know HOW I would test that).

Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Updated first beta of 14.5 is out...

Apple Seeds Updated First Beta of iOS 14.5 and iPadOS 14.5 to Developers - MacRumors
Old Feb 4, 2021, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by IslesFan
Thanks for the heads-up. Just downloaded the update.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Thanks for the heads-up. Just downloaded the update.
Looks like it's just to address the issue with Microsoft Apps on managed devices.

So far, I'm only having issues with Peacock and Mint. Mint I can prevent crashing, but Peacock no longer works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.