WhatsApp changing terms and conditions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WhatsApp changing terms and conditions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
And Signal is now experiencing technical difficulties. Growing too fast it would seem. Was kinda expecting something like that.
I saw this too... "millions upon millions of new users"!
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Purged WhatsApp from my phone. Friends switched mostly to Signal and Telegram.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:32 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by TGarza
Facebook attacking the app store privacy disclosure requirements is a losing proposition at least in the short term.
I don't understand why they're doing that publicly. Do they really think that people will side with Facebook over Apple when it comes to privacy disclosures?
TGarza likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by LordHamster
While the Signal app does access your contact book, they use a technique that does NOT save these contacts to Signal's severs in any permanent fashion (https://signal.org/blog/private-contact-discovery/). In essence they ONLY thing Signal knows about you are your phone numbers. The important thing isn't the E2EE (end to end encryption) but more importantly the lack of metadata collection.

Many people here have commented they won't send "important" messages or photos through WhatsApp, which is missing the point. WhatsApp (at least in theory) uses the same E2EE as Signal...so the CONTENT of your messages is safe. Where WhatsApp falls down is they collect tons of metadata. They know who you contact, when, how often, from where etc.

I may need to keep WhatsApp due to some older relatives in Germany being on it... but I will be very cognizant to reduce the usage to a bare minimum. Luckily all of my Indian Colleagues seem to have switched to Signal, and all my US folks are already on iMessage so WhatsApp usage is definitely reduced for me.
That's an interesting (hence the "Like") perspective on it and what Signal is doing (or not doing) with my contacts. Might (emphasis on Might) give me some more comfort with Signal's contact access.

EDIT TO ADD - BOY of BOY, that's a LOT of heavy reading. Kinda wish is just said in plain language - "We pull every mobile phone number from your contacts - and only mobile phone number - punt it to our system, see who's on the system, return you a list of who in your contacts is on the system, and "delete" what was punted up to us in the process. Then you know and you're "done"

And, the less metadata, the better....
END EDIT

Originally Posted by TBD
How do you think Whatsapp would send a message to someone if it doesn't know who they are?
By allowing me to manually enter their phone number into the app's "address" line in the app. On any phone (mobile or even a landline), you don't HAVE to have the contact's info in the phone to dial a call. You just enter the number and attempt to connect. Why should WhatsApp or Signal or any other app need the contacts name, physical addresses, DOB, email, fax number, etc. etc. etc. (which is all in a particular "Contact Card") when all the app needs is the phone number of the recipient?

Originally Posted by TBD
Do you refuse the photo app's request to use your camera, too?
Well. Actually, other than the phone's camera taking the picture and saving it to my phone's camera roll, I don't let other apps access my photos. I don't backup my camera roll to the cloud (whether e.g. it's iCloud or a photo web site's storage). I use a wired connection between my phone and computer to pull photos off the phone, save them on my computer (and backup on a separate device) and, on an as needed basis (e.g. making a greeting card) upload certain specific photos to a photo/printer's web site for the purpose of the task.

But, to me, the question is bit of a false equivalence. Even if I DID allow a photo app (say ... Snapfish or some other such site) to access my camera, the photo app isn't taking ALL my photos from my camera roll and uploading them to some server as a prerequisite condition of using the app. With WhatsApp and Signal (though my mind may be changed about the latter, see above), I have no choice to use give up ALL my contacts to use the app. (And, yes, I know, when you're not paying for the product, you're the product...)

Last edited by jsnydcsa; Jan 17, 2021 at 9:31 am
Old Jan 17, 2021, 11:26 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by TBD
I don't understand why they're doing that publicly. Do they really think that people will side with Facebook over Apple when it comes to privacy disclosures?
They don't directly say they're against more privacy protections.

They say that Apple policies will hurt small businesses on FB.

Because they can't mine data and use targeted ads?
Old Jan 17, 2021, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
Google is just as opposed to the Apple privacy disclosure as Facebook but has sidestepped the disclosure by not updating iOS apps. Eventually Google will have to update the apps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.