Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Is there still a free version of Acrobat Reader?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2020, 4:31 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I've had a free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader for many years. Somehow, it managed to get corrupted. When I went searching, I found a company offering it for free if I allowed it to be an extension on my Firefox and took over my search bar. I'll pay if I must and avoid that. I need a .pdf reader as I get invoices from hotels and elsewhere as .pdfs. What do you suggest?
Old Dec 7, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Have you seen this?
https://get2.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/
Old Dec 7, 2020, 4:55 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antichef
You're a star. I've downloaded and confirmed it is working. Apparently what wasn't working was the invoice that Marriott sent. I get a message that it was a damaged file. And yet I can open it on my phone. So, that's a mystery but I used the software that I just downloaded and easily opened other .pdfs that I had on my computer. I appreciate you helping me so quickly and accurately. It kept me from downloading software that I didn't want controlling my menu bar or paying *gasp* money to have the program.
antichef likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You're a star. I've downloaded and confirmed it is working. Apparently what wasn't working was the invoice that Marriott sent. I get a message that it was a damaged file. And yet I can open it on my phone. So, that's a mystery but I used the software that I just downloaded and easily opened other .pdfs that I had on my computer. I appreciate you helping me so quickly and accurately. It kept me from downloading software that I didn't want controlling my menu bar or paying *gasp* money to have the program.
Adobe reader is free. Acrobat is the paid software. That said, I believe all current versions of the big three browsers all have the ability to open PDFs built in.

I've also noticed an increase in "damaged" PDFs as of late. But acrobat reader always managed to fix the issue.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 12:01 am

Programs: AS 75K
Anyone downloading the free Adobe Reader go slowly and read things as you are clicking. They always try to slip in some extra bloatware that you probably don't want. It's usually just a matter of unchecking a couple boxes.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mtofell
Anyone downloading the free Adobe Reader go slowly and read things as you are clicking. They always try to slip in some extra bloatware that you probably don't want. It's usually just a matter of unchecking a couple boxes.
The last time I downloaded Adobe Reader, I had to uncheck the box for a download/free trial of McAfee Antivirus. It's annoying, but easily dealt with....you just need to pay attention to what you are clicking.
GUWonder, mtofell and KRSW like this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I typically download the .exe file and save it. Then I run it on the computer I'm installing it into.

I use the saved version (copy it to the new target computer) and execute it there.

I tend to use Version XI because the later versions have "improved" and in the process changed a couple of features I use. If I'm not careful, I might get a later version and I'll just go with that, or the machine may have pre-loaded a later version. I don't usually go through the trouble of deleting/re-installing cuz' it's not that critical; still, I like using programs where my "muscle memory" just goes through whatever motions are necessary to get me where I want to be without have to think much about it.

And get off my lawn!!
24.05.2004 and KRSW like this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Adobe does have a standalone offline version of the Reader Installer:

https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/
KRSW likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 12:07 pm

Don't forget about the Acrobat alternatives out there -- Nitro PDF and PDF Xchange. I ran into a project yesterday where the full version of Adobe Acrobat Pro would crash & hang on, even tried older versions of Acrobat which performed better than the current version but still couldn't get the job done. PDF Xchange and Nitro both handled the job without a single complaint.

/RANT: How come in 2020, Adobe Acrobat is *still* not multi-threaded? Hyperthreading has been around since 2002. 18 years later, Adobe still hasn't bothered. Given how long large PDFs take to process in Acrobat, sometimes hours, it'd be nice to use all of those pretty CPU cores which are just idling under Acrobat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.