Wiki Posts
Search

International Data Plans

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2020, 9:58 am
Original Poster

International Data Plans

Hey Everyone,

My current job will be travelling overseas before the end of the year. Was supposed to be starting in the Summer but dont see that happening at this point. Anyway. It wont be to just Europe or Asia or a certain area. Its an IT migration team with multiple international sites. Can anyone recommend a good plan for calling back to the States and international data that is still usable in the US? Dont want to have to swap SIMs if possible. I know you guys are full of tricks and hacks!

I am currently on Google Fi which has the best for international data that I can find BUT its not working well at home. I live on the edge of nowhere and rely on Wifi for cell phone service as I am in a dead zone for carriers. The problem is I have a miniscule intermittent signal and Fi keeps trying to prefer it over a strong wifi signal. Getting fed up with having to remember to re-enable mobile data when I leave my house.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 12, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Google Fi is definitely best given your description here, unfortunately.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Timothy M. Wagner
My current job will be travelling overseas before the end of the year. Was supposed to be starting in the Summer but don't see that happening at this point. Anyway. It wont be to just Europe or Asia or a certain area. Its an IT migration team with multiple international sites. Can anyone recommend a good plan for calling back to the States and international data that is still usable in the US? Don't want to have to swap SIMs if possible. I know you guys are full of tricks and hacks!

I am currently on Google Fi which has the best for international data that I can find BUT its not working well at home. I live on the edge of nowhere and rely on Wifi for cell phone service as I am in a dead zone for carriers. The problem is I have a miniscule intermittent signal and Fi keeps trying to prefer it over a strong wifi signal. Getting fed up with having to remember to re-enable mobile data when I leave my house.!
This question has been asked before in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/
Samples
---> Best Travel SIM whose data packages/credits don’t expire?
---> Best Expat options for US mobile phone service

Other than Google Fi, local-regional SIM's / data plans may the way to go. Not hard to swap out SIM's
Old May 12, 2020, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Thanks Mwenenzi for the cites. For housekeeping purposes we will close this new thread. The OP is welcome to post more questions in one of the links, after perusing the historic posts.
Mwenenzi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.