Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a trusted tool

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Is this a trusted tool

Can I trust this download? Experiencing internet problem and speed issue on and off.

Is this a good tool to speed up my internet? Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:45 am

there are a few small technical tweaks you could do on your network connection, but its likely an issue with your wifi (neighbor sharing same channel etc) or congestion at ISP

i would never download a tool to do it. scam/unwanted tool
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed. What kinds of issues are you experiencing? Is it just certain websites or all of them? Run a couple of speed tests (www.speedtest.net) and see if you get about what you pay for.

Try plugging in and disabling wifi, and see if that helps. If so, change the wifi channel on your router for both frequency bands.
  • The 2.4GHz network should be on channel 1, 6, or 11 with a 20MHz channel width.
  • The 5.8GHz network can be on any channel with a 40MHz or 80MHz channel width.
See if any of that helps.
allset2travel, KRSW and st1575 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Stay away from tools like this. They are crapware and don't really help anything and can just cause even worse problems.

There may be problems that are within your control to fix, such as checking to see what channels your wifi networks are using and moving to less crowded ones if you have nearby neighbors who are using the same channels. However there are also many problems that may be 100% outside your control to fix, including:
- If only certain websites are being slow, those systems may be overloaded. For example, if you're trying to log on to a system hosted by your employer that all your other coworkers are trying to access too.
- If all websites are slow, but only at certain times of day, your node may be overloaded with your ISP. Even though you may have a connection rated "up to" a certain speed, it's really a shared pipe with all your neighbors. With everybody working from home and kids streaming media, etc., that shared pipe may be full in which case everybody's speeds start to get dragged down.
allset2travel and HDQDD like this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I am always skeptical of any downloads, you guys confirmed it. Thanks.

I had experienced this problem on and off for sometime, and way before the current "Shelter in Place".
I had unplugged (or reset the router), problem seemed to go away, but returned days or hours later. I have tried to switch channels as well. Result was ok until the next occurrence.
The connections to the network affected are the devices such as phones and ipad, laptop etc. My desktop is hard wired so it always works albeit with varying speeds. Calling the service provider (Xfinity) has been a total waste of time.

ANyway, thank you again.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
I had unplugged (or reset the router), problem seemed to go away, but returned days or hours later.
if your router isn't a good router, likely this daily reset is the best way to go
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:58 am

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I am always skeptical of any downloads, you guys confirmed it. Thanks.

I had experienced this problem on and off for sometime, and way before the current "Shelter in Place".
I had unplugged (or reset the router), problem seemed to go away, but returned days or hours later. I have tried to switch channels as well. Result was ok until the next occurrence.
The connections to the network affected are the devices such as phones and ipad, laptop etc. My desktop is hard wired so it always works albeit with varying speeds. Calling the service provider (Xfinity) has been a total waste of time.

ANyway, thank you again.
Is your modem provided by Xfinity? If so it may be old and not up to current speed specs.

I bought the latest version and saw a 30% speed improvement and no more rental fees.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bukzin
Is your modem provided by Xfinity? If so it may be old and not up to current speed specs.

I bought the latest version and saw a 30% speed improvement and no more rental fees.
How can you tell if the modem is old version?
What model is your that boosts speed by 30%? I am not aware that Xifinity allows you to provide your own modem (much prefer).
Thank you.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I trust this download? Experiencing internet problem and speed issue on and off.

Is this a good tool to speed up my internet? Thanks
As an IT guy I would be amazed if this was anything but a malware installer.
ajGoes, HDQDD, KRSW and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
How can you tell if the modem is old version?
What model is your that boosts speed by 30%? I am not aware that Xifinity allows you to provide your own modem (much prefer).
Thank you.
Xfinity does allow you to buy a modem and has a list of compatible ones on its website. I signed up in September for the first time and bought a modem at Best Buy. A year of renting a modem is enough to buy one.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by linsj
Xfinity does allow you to buy a modem and has a list of compatible ones on its website. I signed up in September for the first time and bought a modem at Best Buy. A year of renting a modem is enough to buy one.
Thanks for this info.
Care to mention which model from Best Buy. I am incline to buy one.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Thanks for this info.
The Arris Surfboards have been fantastic.

The SB6141 is good for up to just shy of 350 megabits/sec and the SB6190 is good for about 600... while Comcast is starting to tell people they’re outdated because they are DOCSIS 3.0, the reality is they’re cheap and fast enough for most current cable packages. But if you either have a faster package now or you want something more future-proof, the SB8200 is DOCSIS 3.1 and goes all the way out to 10 gigabits/sec.

Both of the above are cable modems only. If your current unit also serves as a wireless router, or you have Xfinity voice service, you’d need additional or different hardware.

Check other places besides Best Buy. Office Depot and Amazon are often cheaper.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks for this info.
Netgear Nighthawk AC1900, all-in-one modem/router.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted
Old Mar 29, 2020, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Here is my 2 cents to OP:

1. I could be wrong about this - Usually, what you described generally associate with an aging router. In my experience, normal wear and tear will deteriorate the quality of WiFi connection. The only solution is to replace the router.

While I agree with others that you should own your equipment to save the money, because you are on a rental, you should contact Comcast for a new one before you can buy and install the new equipment. Just tell them that your router is not working properly.

2. All speeds published by any ISPs are "up to". Basically, an ISP will guarantee its speed, at the minimum, the top speed of the next lower level. For example, if your plan is Comcast's 100Mbps. Then the minimum you can get will be 25Mbps. If you can get anything beyond that, then Comcast consider you have no issue in term of speed.

3. It is almost not worthy to tweak around the OS for a higher speed. What impacts your speed the most is where you connect. For example, if you have a poor quality with Netflix, the chance is Netflix's connections are at peak instead of your connection. Instead, doing anything around your OS can cause more problems that it seems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.