Wiki Posts
Search

Work from home tech thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by freecia
I have been saying I wish I could take my office chair (Aeron Size A) home. Not sure it would fit in my car's back seat. My team mate shared a sit stand desk which the local Costco might carry. My desk is an older Ikea desk which works for me as I rarely stand to work. I did bring home a keyboard & mouse wrist rest and made a foot rest with a few old large books and binder. My "laptop stand" is the box it came in but I might see if IT can lend me a slightly taller one for home use.

Just got to make sure I still stand up and move about.

Most importantly, I shouldn't put my laptop on the corner (aka horrible position) and twist to view it as the web cam/second screen.
I also have a pebble textured standing anti-fatigue mat that I stand barefoot on. During my sessions, I can wear whatever I want waist down.
I switch between standing and sitting while a video is playing for the participants. The sit-stand cycle is around 10-15 minutes each.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:09 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
What does it matter what's behind you? Why would anybody care?
That would be like a very important phone and urgent call that I took some years ago on a Friday afternoon to resolve Monday's problem. I knew it would arrive when I was out of the office fully engaged in an important pre-arranged activity.

I had earphones set to auto-answer and we sorted the issue. The caller then commented that it was a very clear call and he could hear running water in the background and asked where I was. In my waders in a river fly-fishing on one of the finest salmon beats in the country! He was beavering away in London and his single word response questioned my parents marital status

But wanting to maintain professional appearances might not allow that in many circumstances.
nerd, GadgetFreak and der_saeufer like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
You forgot Teams! Microsoft is discontinuing Skype for Business this year and replacing it with Teams. Teams is great.
In addition to Teams, Bluejeans (as mentioned in the first post). I've also used Amazon Chime and Adobe Connect - hated them both.

Originally Posted by tentseller
If you don't care about a professional image then "nothing really matters".
I'm external facing, but had some conference calls with our internal IT team. Camera on is a thing at our company. One of the IT guys was working from home and had his kitchen and hallway in the background, complete with his wife walking around (unawares, we think) in her sweats and mussed hair carrying around their infant. Maybe we should've said something, but we didn't.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem
Companies that let employees work from home without confirming the security of their home networks are opening up huge security holes. It's only a matter of time - and probably not much time - before the bad guys start jumping through these holes and making off with the corporate crown jewels. The collective database exposure of all these home workers can dwarf exploits like the data thefts from Equifax, Target, and all the others you've probably heard of.
My Bold
Totally agree. Most companies' IT department would/should address this issue prior to use.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Is there an easy way to run my Windows laptop through my desktop Mac with some sort of wired connection? I currently use Remote Desktop, which generally works but takes a while to set up each time. The address seems to always change and it's a bit of wasted time each morning to reconnect.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Is there an easy way to run my Windows laptop through my desktop Mac with some sort of wired connection? I currently use Remote Desktop, which generally works but takes a while to set up each time. The address seems to always change and it's a bit of wasted time each morning to reconnect.
Teamviewer free for home use
OskiBear likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: Alaska
It's going to be interesting to see which teleconference service providers survive the onslaught of neophyte "distance workers".
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by allset2travel
My Bold
Totally agree. Most companies' IT department would/should address this issue prior to use.
What issue? None of this is new. Most employees take their phones and laptops home every night and use them on their home networks. If they want to access files/sites on the company network, they VPN. Hacking a good VPN tunnel would be extremely difficult. The beauty of VPNs is that you can limit where on your corporate network that each user is allowed to go. If you wanted to each user could have different permissions.

Despite it’s name, the coronavirus doesn’t affect computer networks.
javabytes likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Log in to your router and assign a fixed IP address to the computer you Remote Desktop into.
OskiBear likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HDQDD
What issue? None of this is new. Most employees take their phones and laptops home every night and use them on their home networks. If they want to access files/sites on the company network, they VPN. Hacking a good VPN tunnel would be extremely difficult. The beauty of VPNs is that you can limit where on your corporate network that each user is allowed to go. If you wanted to each user could have different permissions.

Agreed. And also when traveling. Companies have long assumed the networks employees connect from outside the office may be unsafe (hotels, cafes, etc.).
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
Log in to your router and assign a fixed IP address to the computer you Remote Desktop into.
This.

There are a couple of different ways to accomplish this; the easiest is to use a feature common to most modern routers called DHCP* Reservation or Address Reservation and will usually be found in the LAN Settings section of your router's configuration. Assuming you reserve the address that DHCP has currently allocated for your Windows laptop, you won't need to do anything in Windows to enable this once the router is configured.

Refer to your router vendor's support/documentation for configuring a device to use this feature.

* Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:40 pm
Suspended

I work from home 80% of the time but my most important aspects are;
  • Monitor, Keyboard & Mouse... using the laptop as a laptop is not comfortable
  • Wireless Headset... the Plantronics Voyager Focus UC Stereo is excellent
  • A reliable connection
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD

Originally Posted by javabytes
Agreed. And also when traveling. Companies have long assumed the networks employees connect from outside the office may be unsafe (hotels, cafes, etc.).
To add to this, depending on your corporation's infrastructure there are several ways to secure data... MDM (enforce certain requirements).... Citrix (VDI's and Xenapp can limit what is seen)... geofencing as suggested above... various ATP solutions... depends on how secure you want to make the remote connection and how much effort you are willing to dedicate to it...
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Craig6z
Maintain a professional image.
Also privacy/security in that you might not want a random business contact to see personal items in your home or details of where you live. For example, even in a dedicated home office, architectural details could permit someone to know where you live (distinctive condo building features or view from window) and you might not want to show family photos or particular personal items, such as something that could identify your religion.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Also privacy/security in that you might not want a random business contact to see personal items in your home or details of where you live. For example, even in a dedicated home office, architectural details could permit someone to know where you live (distinctive condo building features or view from window) and you might not want to show family photos or particular personal items, such as something that could identify your religion.
Wow, this is taking the paranoia to new heights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.