Web based Outlook?

Old Jan 13, 20, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Web based Outlook?

For one company I need the ability to access Outlook to retrieve/send messages to/from them. They have me in their system, so when I am at work I can read/send from terminal in my office. It's at home in the evenings or days off, etc, that I can't see them - and really don't want to have to schlep to work to get them.

Way back when, when I had (well then) a new version of Office I didn't have Outlook installed because I never used it (long story; no need to rehash), so when checking my laptop it doesn't show Outlook although it shows Word, etc. Someone mentioned something about a web-based version of Outlook that I might be able to access the emails that way, vs. actually having Outlook on my laptop.

So is there a way to access it via web browser? What do I need to do? Links?

Any help appreciated (the regulars know I'm not techy, so sorry for simple question).

Cheers.
Old Jan 13, 20, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
You should be able to access e-mail via Office365.com

Click on Sign-In, then use the e-mail address that the company provided you.
Old Jan 13, 20, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
A terminal?

Yes, Outlook can be accessible via a browser. Ask you system admin if it is enabled/how to access. It's often outlook.com, but my old company requires going through their front end for access, two-factor-authentication, etc.
Old Jan 13, 20, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sign in to Office 365 at office.com. You can access Outlook on the web, or you might be able to download Office and use the full suite.
Old Jan 13, 20, 9:27 pm

Getting Outlook on the web is not going to help you. You really need your web Outlook to hook into that company's Exchange Server. They may not even allow you to have access to it using personal equipment. If they give you their Exchange Server info, you could even use your phone to access the emails.
Old Jan 13, 20, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
A terminal?
Wyse, or Wang. Maybe even DEC.
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Need View Post
Getting Outlook on the web is not going to help you. You really need your web Outlook to hook into that company's Exchange Server. They may not even allow you to have access to it using personal equipment. If they give you their Exchange Server info, you could even use your phone to access the emails.
I don't get this...

You can access any corporate Outlook email system via Outlook Web Access (OWA) as long as it's been configured and you've been given access. This is completely separate from your personal Outlook or personal Web Outlook.
ajGoes and DenverBrian like this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I don't get this...

You can access any corporate Outlook email system via Outlook Web Access (OWA) as long as it's been configured and you've been given access. This is completely separate from your personal Outlook or personal Web Outlook.
I think OP thinks if he has access to OWA, he should be able to read his emails from home. I am pointing out that he will need access to his work's exchange server to do that and most companies don't let you do that from a personal owned device...
Old Jan 14, 20, 9:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Need View Post
I think OP thinks if he has access to OWA, he should be able to read his emails from home. I am pointing out that he will need access to his work's exchange server to do that and most companies don't let you do that from a personal owned device...
That's not true in my experience. Most companies allow you to access the Web page version of Outlook. There's no need for the user to know anything about the exchange server - just the URL with a username and password (and maybe some sort of 2FA).
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
That's not true in my experience. Most companies allow you to access the Web page version of Outlook. There's no need for the user to know anything about the exchange server - just the URL with a username and password (and maybe some sort of 2FA).
Must be nice!
Old Jan 14, 20, 10:31 am

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
Sharon,

Have a look at this web page for the simple way in:
https://support.office.com/en-gb/art...0-37fc286bcb79

If you can sign in with the details the company gave you then all will be well. Let me know the result. If you are in, all good. If not we move to the next step.
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:07 am

There are a couple of ways to access it depending on how your company has it configured. If the full Outlook client isn't required (and in most cases, it isn't), then OWA works. Another possibility is that the company uses Citrix to control the number of licenses in use.
Old Jan 14, 20, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks all. I'll be at work tomorrow & will check into the above. I know my manager is able to access his work email from home on his laptop (and on his phone & on his watch, well not sure about the last one LOL). And yeah, my bad - it's not a terminal on my desk at work

Cheers.
Old Jan 14, 20, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Thanks all. I'll be at work tomorrow & will check into the above. I know my manager is able to access his work email from home on his laptop (and on his phone & on his watch, well not sure about the last one LOL). And yeah, my bad - it's not a terminal on my desk at work

Cheers.
If your manager gets his work emails on his phone and the setup is relatively up to date, then he's likely using Office 365... regardless, unless he's using an ancient setup, you should be able to use either the client or OWA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: