Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online esim Shop With Decent Prices

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bukzin
Does anyone know of a esim provider which works off of Verizon towers in the US? I found Airalo runs with ATT but coverage is only fair for me.
FYI the current Airalo US eSIMs now run on T-Mobile. Your other question has been answered elsewhere - no known Verizon eSim providers at the moment.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by flightrisk
I wish this thread had a better title (at least including "Airalo"). But thanks to this thread, I've tried out Airalo and have been fairly pleased with tests. My previous method was to unpause Google Fi, but I have found that the Airalo eSIM picks up service substantially faster and gets better SpeedTest results (nearly 2x as fast even when both connected to Movistar in Spain).

I wish buying and activating an eSIM from the iOS app was a bit easier--the purchase goes through just fine, but you still need to scan the QR code which makes it a bit difficult to complete with just your phone.

And like mentioned above, I found that my test eSIMs (Spain and US) were both blocked by FlyerTalk.
Yeah, found the QR code process confusing.
If I only have my phone with me how is it done?

I'm sure it's simple but I found the Airalo instructions
a bit lacking.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:48 am

a bit lacking.
I have used the manual entry and it works well and is fairly easy. The QR is handy, but you obviously need a second device for that input.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by draver
I have used the manual entry and it works well and is fairly easy. The QR is handy, but you obviously need a second device for that input.
Or a printer to print a screen shot.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:48 am
Jzo

Programs: MileagePlus Gold

a bit lacking.
I disagree. They lack far more than a bit!

Their instructions are incomplete and iPhone-centric. Even the reply from their support after I provided my phone and system version was wrong.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:18 am

Airalo appears to be the cheapest (or at least one of the cheapest, based on my recent trips to EU, UK, Mexico), but it is definitely the least convenient on iOS. The need to manually setup the SIM or to have the QR code printed / displayed on another device is a major pain in the butt. I truly wish they would properly develop their app to better integrate with iOS and eSIM. Once or if they do, it will be a killer app. Right now Truphone, GigSky etc tend to be more expensive, but beat Airalo hands down on convenience and reliability.

Speed-wise, recently in Mexico I could only get 3G out of Airalo's eSIM. It was a vacation, so I did not mind. If this was business trip, I would have been seriously miffed.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by blue2002
Airalo appears to be the cheapest (or at least one of the cheapest, based on my recent trips to EU, UK, Mexico), but it is definitely the least convenient on iOS. The need to manually setup the SIM or to have the QR code printed / displayed on another device is a major pain in the butt. I truly wish they would properly develop their app to better integrate with iOS and eSIM. Once or if they do, it will be a killer app. Right now Truphone, GigSky etc tend to be more expensive, but beat Airalo hands down on convenience and reliability.

Speed-wise, recently in Mexico I could only get 3G out of Airalo's eSIM. It was a vacation, so I did not mind. If this was business trip, I would have been seriously miffed.
How do Truphone and GigSky compare with Airalo in price for data?

Any new players in the space?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:07 pm

How do Truphone and GigSky compare with Airalo in price for data?

Any new players in the space?
Airao tends to be the cheapest of the three.
bukzin likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Prices Up

Prices seem to have gone up a bit as of late (when no one is travelling.)

Referring to my original post below - 1 GB in Germany is now $5 up from $2.50, 1 GB in UK is $5 up from $2 - South Korea and US seem to be the same.

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I just read an article about www.airalo.com and checked it out. They offer data-only esims for much of the world at prices lower than I've seen from other online esim providers - e.g., 1 GB in the UK for $2, 1 GB in Germany for $2.50, 4 GB South Korea for $10.

As a test, since I am in the US, I downloaded a 1 GB esim valid for 7 days for $3. It downloaded easily to my Pixel 3A using the provided QR code.

It has a UK ip address, I can watch UK Channel 4 on the phone when using the esim. It uses the AT&T network. The phone shows that the carrier is Telna roaming on AT&T.

Speedtest results were 73 mbps down, 32.7 mbps up, with a ping of 329 ms.
bukzin likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 5:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I don't know what is going on with one of my eSIMs but I'm getting more value out of the eSIM than was advertised in terms of the validity period (if nothing else too). For a little while I had a hypothesis about why this may have happened, but I'm going to have to wait for an opportunity to more extensively have the hypothesis tested.

I won't be sharing additional details here about this situation for me, but I am sharing the information in the above paragraph so that those with an eSIM don't prematurely delete an eSIM on the assumption that the eSIM validity ended as advertised by the seller (at time of purchase).
bukzin likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:15 am

It possibly is a good will gesture from the MVNO or carrier. Many have posted they are granting extentions or bonus data or features due to the Covid-19 issues and work furloughs. T-Mobile is cutting my monthly bill in half for 3 months in this vein. I confirmed it yesterday.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
There's also a Crypto based sSim called Dent. Supposedly you can buy 1GB worldwide for $5 but it makes you buy their coins at a bad price first. If this could work, it would sort of be pay as you go GoogleFI.

If you sign up, you can buy 1GB of Australia data for free.

They also have a promo now where you get 1GB worldwide for free by signing up for the Teams function. They had a deal awhile back for another free 1GB worldwide. So I'm sitting on 2GB free WW and 1GB Australia. I don't think they expire (well until Dent goes out of business) so it could certainly come in handy someday.

Keep an eye on their Twitter for more promos. https://twitter.com/dentcoin
bukzin likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
There's also a Crypto based sSim called Dent. Supposedly you can buy 1GB worldwide for $5 but it makes you buy their coins at a bad price first. If this could work, it would sort of be pay as you go GoogleFI.

If you sign up, you can buy 1GB of Australia data for free.

They also have a promo now where you get 1GB worldwide for free by signing up for the Teams function. They had a deal awhile back for another free 1GB worldwide. So I'm sitting on 2GB free WW and 1GB Australia. I don't think they expire (well until Dent goes out of business) so it could certainly come in handy someday.

Keep an eye on their Twitter for more promos. https://twitter.com/dentcoin
I signed up Dent Team but still show 0GB for me, how to get that free 1GB ? do I have to purchase 1GB first?
DENT Teams features are only available, if you have at least one eSIM data plan!

Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2020, 12:42 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by ecgz88
I signed up Dent Team but still show 0GB for me, how to get that free 1GB ? do I have to purchase 1GB first?
DENT Teams features are only available, if you have at least one eSIM data plan!

Thanks!
yeah dont know. Did you add the Australia free 1GB? Otherwise they have a telegram channel - ask on there.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just bought an Airalo 1GB eSIM in the US because our Verizon data plan is almost out. I finally got it to connect but it's only showing EDGE on T-Mobile, not LTE. EDGE is pretty much unusable. Any ideas why/what I could change?

I have set the APN to tn1 and enabled data roaming. The "voice and data" setting is set to "4G, VoLTE On". I've rebooted the phone. Nothing seems to work.

I have an iPhone XS.

edit: just power cycled the phone again and now it shows 4G. No idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.