Wiki Posts
Search

Android alternative to Pocketcasts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Android alternative to Pocketcasts

I used to love Pocketcasts; now I hate it. It used to be as simple as downloading podcasts, listening offline (while out walking, on a plane or train, etc.), and deleting downloaded podcasts when done with them. The developers have messed up that simple system with the latest update (no clear downloading and deleting anymore, the murky world of autoarchiving, ... grrr), and I'm one of many users who are fed up with it.

I don't want to argue about Pocketcasts. If you like it, I'm glad for you. I need to find an alternative that allows (a) cross-platform syncing between mobile devices and website (I want to listen to podcasts at home via online streaming on website and away from home via podcasts downloaded to SD card using phone app) and (b) downloading to an SD card (my phone's already short on internal storage).

From what I can tell, some of the better Android app alternatives might be Castbox, Podcast Addict, Podcast Republic, and Radio Public. Other options I've seen mentioned are Spotify, TuneIn, RSS Radio 7 Lite, Podbean, and Stitcher. I don't know yet which of these satisfy my two criteria. I guess I can spend a few weeks methodically testing my way through the options, but I wonder if anyone else here has already dealt with this and has a recommendation.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I was a loyal Android PocketCasts user for a few years - Used to evangelize it to anyone who asked.

Then "Version 7" came along - Like you I was very disappointed in the changes. I found it to be basically unusable garbage.

If it makes you feel any better, we're not alone in our opinion of the latest update -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...llReviews=true

So I started looking for a replacement. A few people suggested Podcast Republic so I tried out their free version. After a week I was so happy with it I ponied up and bought the ad-free version. I like how the download management is very much like the "old" PocketCasts, and it's highly customizable.

...However - I never used the "cross platform streaming" features in PocketCasts so I can't comment on how the Podcast Republic experience compares. If I'm listening at home I just stream from my phone, if I'm out I listen from my phone.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Like you, I'm so turned off by version 7, like so many other people. In the short term, I put Podcast Addict on my phone to check out; don't have much of a good feel for it yet, but I had to get something else I could use quickly. I realize now that cross-platform syncing with a desktop computer/website access isn't nearly as big a deal for me as simple, straightforward downloading to an SD card, listening, and deleting. I'll check out Podcast Republic too. Thanks.
gglave likes this.

Last edited by cubbie; Mar 29, 2019 at 6:19 pm
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Not answering your question... but, you can download previous versions of the Pocketcast APK. Choose the version you were happy with and install that. Then disable auto-updates for that particular app.
cubbie likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks, that's good to know.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Not answering your question... but, you can download previous versions of the Pocketcast APK
From where? There are tweet after tweet asking where PocketCast users can get V6 - With no responses from anyone.

(Keep in mind it is a paid app.)
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gglave
From where? There are tweet after tweet asking where PocketCast users can get V6 - With no responses from anyone.
(Keep in mind it is a paid app.)
I googled "pocket casts versions apk" and found this: https://pocket-casts.en.aptoide.com/versions

What I have on my phone is a free version. I think, though, that I tried to put it on a tablet more recently and could only access a paid version. I assume the downloads on the page linked above are free versions. I haven't tried to install one yet from this page and I'm not sure what version would be best to try, but if I do, it's definitely going to be one that starts with a 6 rather than a 7.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:58 pm

Thanks - What people like me are looking for is the apk for the "paid" version of PocketCasts version 6. (We all paid.) So far, that's not something we've been able to find.

(Well, to be fair, I'm not looking any more. I was, but I gave my money to Podcast Republic, so I'm done with PocketCasts).
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

I switched to Podcast Addict, and so far I think it's great -- just what I was looking for. It does everything I want, it does not have the HUGE annoyances that Pocket Casts has now since the V.7 update, and it is cool that users can communicate directly with the developer and that he is receptive to queries and suggestions.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
What are some advantages of these other podcast apps compared to Google Podcasts? I do have Stitcher, if and when I decide to binge on some premium content.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.