Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best brand of international power adapters?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best brand of international power adapters?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I have tried a few type C adapters while in Sweden, but they never seem to fit snug--it's like the pins are often 0.5mm too narrow. I never have that issue with type F adapters. I have a bag full of type F adapters that stay in Sweden, and I always carry 3-4 in my backpack for the family while we travel.
That's because they are 0.5mm too narrow (0.8mm, to be exact). The Europlug has 4mm pins so that it fits in an Italian or Swiss outlet, but the pins on German and French plugs are 4.8mm. A proper Europlug has half-plastic pins at an angle so they'll still fit correctly in German/French/etc. outlets.

Proper type-C adapters either have 4.8mm pins or angled Europlug-type pins, but there are tons of them out there that have neither. My personal favorite are the little black ones that can be had for less than 25c where the pins are loosely crimped to the contacts inside the adapter and rattle around. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't throw all of them out until one melted.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by Craig6z
Agree. Have bought this brand via Amazon, and the quality is good.
Those things work great, but a couple comments:

1: OP asked about Power Adapters, these are just plug adapters, which is a different sort of beast. That said, just about everything these days is dual voltage, so a real power adapter is often not necessary. Not remembering the full OP I'm pretty sure they're asking about plug adapters and not power adapters, but I could be wrong.
2: OP is going to Asia, IME, first most hotels will loan you one for a couple days, and you can get them in electronics markets for almost nothing. I bought about 6 of these for every plug type in the countries I frequent for less than $1 each and I've used them on every trip without fail.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:07 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Any recommendations for a near-universal power adapter? I got
this this
from Amazon but the UK prongs did not end up fitting because the third upper prong was plastic and crappy. Ended up needing to buy an expensive UK adapter (Type A/B to G) from the airport. At this point I'm tempted to buy individual cheap plugs.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
OP is going to Asia, IME, first most hotels will loan you one for a couple days, and you can get them in electronics markets for almost nothing. I bought about 6 of these for every plug type in the countries I frequent for less than $1 each and I've used them on every trip without fail.
Those are the ones I give a wide berth - especially after having read an illustrated writeup from an electrical engineer who disassembled a few of these
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Nayef
Any recommendations for a near-universal power adapter? I got this from Amazon but the UK prongs did not end up fitting because the third upper prong was plastic and crappy. Ended up needing to buy an expensive UK adapter (Type A/B to G) from the airport. At this point I'm tempted to buy individual cheap plugs.
Expect you want a universal adapter with USB ports.

Perhaps SKROSS? They’re expensive, but they feature in many airline sky shops… doubt they’d remain there long if significant issues. Not sure if available in the US currently.

Ceptics Ceptics
seems to have a good rep (even w/ that name…), but their focus was single-type plug adapters. Their universal ones w/ USB seem to have mostly good reviews, but…

Another option perhaps is something from Conair’s Travel Smart brand?

I used to have a ‘LowePro’ branded universal plug w/ USB (possibly not licensed). I retired it due to coil whine.

My current grab-and-go setup is instead a Kikkerland adapter with a separate USB charger. It’s lighter and more reliable.

It does get a bit long with the Innergie 60c plugged in, so am thinking of the compact Mogics Plug Adapter, even if it only supports US/JP plugs - that’s what my AC power adapters are already. Or I’ll go w/ this
Ceptics adapter set Ceptics adapter set
Nayef likes this.

Last edited by crackjack; Jul 29, 2021 at 3:24 pm
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by crackjack
Expect you want a universal adapter with USB ports.

Perhaps SKROSS? They’re expensive, but they feature in many airline sky shops… doubt they’d remain there long if significant issues. Not sure if available in the US currently.

Ceptics seems to have a good rep (even w/ that name…), but their focus was single-type plug adapters. Their universal ones w/ USB seem to have mostly good reviews, but…

Another option perhaps is something from Conair’s Travel Smart brand?

I used to have a ‘LowePro’ branded universal plug w/ USB (possibly not licensed). I retired it due to coil whine.

My current grab-and-go setup is instead a Kikkerland adapter with a separate USB charger. It is a bit long with the Innergie 60c plugged in, so am thinking of the compact Mogics Plug Adapter, even if it only supports US/JP plugs - that’s what my AC power adapters are already.
SKROSS seems pretty decent so I'll try it out. Thanks!
crackjack likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
SKROSS seems pretty decent so I'll try it out. Thanks!
SKROSS ones are what I mainly have used, but given how much of my stuff uses USB chargers and given my being locked up in an Apple eco-system for much of my personal travel stuff, I have way less use for SKROSS nowadays than 1-3 exchangeable slide plugs that Apple has as part of the world adapter travel sets.
Nayef likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
SKROSS ones are what I mainly have used, but given how much of my stuff uses USB chargers and given my being locked up in an Apple eco-system for much of my personal travel stuff, I have way less use for SKROSS nowadays than 1-3 exchangeable slide plugs that Apple has as part of the world adapter travel sets.
I asked about a decent adapter plug because I primarily use a travel power strip with a US plug and all my electronics either use US plugs or USB. So I just need to connect the one cable with the necessary plug to charge all my things at an airport or on a plane.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:56 pm

I asked about a decent adapter plug because I primarily use a travel power strip with a US plug and all my electronics either use US plugs or USB. So I just need to connect the one cable with the necessary plug to charge all my things at an airport or on a plane.
That's how I deal with multiple plugs. I have two sets of plug adapters and I carry two OTG powerbars (I wish I could pick up a few more but alas they are discontinued and the other brands don't stack up too well from experience). I haven't tried using the powerbars on airplanes, but on the ground, they get plugged in before anything else to expand the number of plugs I can use.
Nayef likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I've been very happy with the Wonpro Power Bar that I bought a few years ago. I bought the EU power cord (Type E/F) and keep it in Sweden.

https://www.europlugs.com/product-ca...ro-power-bars/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.