Wiki Posts
Search

Replacing travel laptop

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by iowa guy
I'm the OP. I've been too embarrassed to reply because all I need the laptop for is to watch non-streaming movies on looooooooooong plane rides and to pull up google earth when I have an internet connection.

Possibly an iPad in that case, although you would have to download the movies in advance. Good battery life and very thin and light.

That said, I use an iPad most of the time as my main travel notebook. It is good for making presentations, email and web browsing. I have an external keyboard and can use it for Word/Pages but I do take a notebook if I need to do a lot of typing or preparing a lot of a presentation.

The more I use my Pixelbook Chromebook the more I like it. It has great battery life, and a great keyboard and screen. It's also thin and light, although obviously not like an iPad. With Android apps and a reasonable amount of onboard storage (256 gb) I can do most things offline as well as online. Probably more than enough for occasional use. I also think that computing is becoming more and more web centric. We are using Google Docs increasingly due to the ease of sharing. Obviously, the Pixelbook works great for that or for that matter to access Dropbox or iCloud documents. It does require an Office 365 subscription to use the Office suite though.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:02 am

I'm the OP. I've been too embarrassed to reply because all I need the laptop for is to watch non-streaming movies on looooooooooong plane rides and to pull up google earth when I have an internet connection.
Welcome back

You mentioned earlier that you wanted a DVD drive. If that's still a must-have, my vote is to hit up eBay and pick up an off-lease ~3 year old business laptop from one of the usual suspects like Dell, Fujitsu, Lenovo, HP... For less than $200 you can have decent performance, 4 gigs of RAM, a decent hard drive, Windows, and a DVD drive. Throw an extra $75 at it for an SSD and the performance would be quite good. The downside is that there are few (if any) laptops with a DVD drive under 3 pounds, and most are closer to 4. Battery life also isn't that great on most, especially while running the DVD drive.

If you're willing to download stuff from Netflix (etc), a tablet or Chromebook with Android app capability is probably better--those would both be significantly lighter. If you can't or won't do that but are willing to rip your DVDs ahead of time, a Chromebook or a mid-range Windows laptop is where it's at; an off-lease business laptop without DVD would also fit the bill there for less money. With more money, a Windows Ultrabook (e.g. Dell XPS) fits the DVD-less bill nicely, but that class of machines will set you back $1000. I can't speak for other streaming services, but Netflix has a Windows app that lets you download just like its Android or iOS apps.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Welcome back

You mentioned earlier that you wanted a DVD drive. If that's still a must-have, my vote is to hit up eBay and pick up an off-lease ~3 year old business laptop from one of the usual suspects like Dell, Fujitsu, Lenovo, HP... For less than $200 you can have decent performance, 4 gigs of RAM, a decent hard drive, Windows, and a DVD drive. Throw an extra $75 at it for an SSD and the performance would be quite good. The downside is that there are few (if any) laptops with a DVD drive under 3 pounds, and most are closer to 4. Battery life also isn't that great on most, especially while running the DVD drive.

If you're willing to download stuff from Netflix (etc), a tablet or Chromebook with Android app capability is probably better--those would both be significantly lighter. If you can't or won't do that but are willing to rip your DVDs ahead of time, a Chromebook or a mid-range Windows laptop is where it's at; an off-lease business laptop without DVD would also fit the bill there for less money. With more money, a Windows Ultrabook (e.g. Dell XPS) fits the DVD-less bill nicely, but that class of machines will set you back $1000. I can't speak for other streaming services, but Netflix has a Windows app that lets you download just like its Android or iOS apps.
The Apple iTunes store also has a lot of movies for sale or rent and they can easily be downloaded onto an iPad and watched offline. And Amazon Video works with any platform.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Hi.

I'm not set on requiring a DVD drive. I would be willing to rip DVD to a Chomebook...if that's possible. I've been reading that Chromebook users are having a hard time finding a player for Chromebooks. It sounds like VLC used to work but it doesn't now.

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Welcome back

Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Hi.

I'm not set on requiring a DVD drive. I would be willing to rip DVD to a Chomebook...if that's possible. I've been reading that Chromebook users are having a hard time finding a player for Chromebooks. It sounds like VLC used to work but it doesn't now.
Since this thread has come back to the top of the subforum, let me tell you my first-day experience with the
ASUS VivoBook E203MA 4GB LPDDR4 , 64GB eMMC Flash Storage, 11.6” HD Display ASUS VivoBook E203MA 4GB LPDDR4 , 64GB eMMC Flash Storage, 11.6” HD Display
. I just got this laptop yesterday afternoon and am still putting it through its paces, but it might be an option for you.

Let's get the bad out of the way. It's got limited storage, I'd probably prefer at least 8 gb of memory, the display is hardly cutting edge, it feels potentially fragile, and it comes loaded with a version of Windows called 10S (nice marketing by MS--it's designed as a student laptop and 10S limits app downloads to the Microsoft Store only--you can accomplish essentially the same thing by making a parent the laptop's administrator with the child a regular user, thus restricting program download and installation).

Here's the good news. I may not care. 10S is easily convertible to Windows 10 Pro for free. You can find instructions in some of the reviews for the laptop on the Amazon site, but essentially you go to Activation in Settings and change your Microsoft Store to allow the upgrade--which yesterday, remained totally free for this machine. If your work requires you to live in a Windows environment as does mine, then at least you've got a decent version of the current Windows to work with.

The fragility--totally a byproduct of how light the VivoBook is. My previous travel machine was an ASUS Transformer T100 from about four or five years ago. Compared with that 10" netbook, the E203MA, with an 11.6" screen, is about a half pound lighter. And the E203MA is even a little thinner than the T100. I don't know that the E203MA is fragile; it just feels that way. BTW, I used that T100 heavily for four years without putting a scratch on it. Get a decent case and don't use the laptop as a frisbee, and it should last.

Mediocre display? Yes. It's an 11.6" screen on a laptop that cost me $199 (more on pricing in a moment)--I'm satisfied.

Storage is limited, but it's better than a 32 gb eMMC. I've seen some articles over the past several months that have indicated that MS no longer guarantees that limited storage machines with 32 gb will be able to continue receiving updates to Windows 10 (I'm not so sure about that--doing a clean install on my T100 made my Windows 10 installation take up about 60% of the previous storage space) so an upgrade to 64 gb alleviates that concern. I see that the current installation still leaves me 37 gb of storage which should be sufficient.

And if not, you can insert a microSD (I have a 128 gb) which should give you plenty of storage room. Format to NTFS, and you can even run programs from there. Unlike the Windows 10S to Pro upgrade, the Amazon reviews don't discuss this hack. Here's a helpful link: https://www.radishlogic.com/tools/ma...ge-windows-10/. The TL; DR version: use Disk Format and choose NTFS rather than FAT32, create a folder in your C:\ drive labeled SD Card, go into the Disk Management Console, find the drive letter for the microSD, and change the drive letter and path so that it is mounted in the C:\SD Card path. I did this to install VLC Media Player as well as several other programs, all of which have run smoothly from there.

The 4 gb memory is not as snappy as the 8 I had with my brief HP experience upthread, and I notice, but not much, a lag that more memory might cure. On the other hand, I ran a test yesterday with over 20 tabs open in Microsoft Edge and then downloaded each page. That's well beyond my normal Internet usage. The VivoBook didn't freeze. Videos played fine with no stuttering.

Now the bestest of the best part. With a few minor tweaks (lowering display brightness, changing the slider for performance on battery away from performance towards battery savings), I ran this laptop for 8 hours, 15 minutes at a level just above my normal usage with Microsoft Word, several other programs, some video watching, and especially Internet as noted above, and still had 25% capacity on the battery. Using the supplied power charger (not a thick cord and power brick but a thin cord and slightly larger wall plug), I recharged from 25% to 94% in 90 minutes (I'm actually in the middle of recharging it now, and just checked the rate of recharge). That means I don't need to worry about running out of power for my normal TATL flights, and the power charger is small enough to keep the whole package down to a manageable size. BTW, the setup instructions suggest a full three-hour charge before using it without the power cord connected, and I followed that suggestion to the letter before starting to use it yesterday.

Of course, there are much better laptops out there, many of them performing well beyond what I've described here, but they cost a lot more than $199. A quick note on pricing. This version of the machine (there's a 32 gb from the same seller that usually goes for $169) sold for $169 during an Amazon Deal of the Day last September. In fact, if you're looking at the reviews on the site above, you'll see that many of the complaints are about the 32 gb version. If you want lots of reviews for the 64 gb machine in a short period of time, skip back to September 2018 where lots of people bought one during the special. When I started writing this post, the price was $199 and that is the frequent price now. But, the price jumped to $259 a couple of weeks ago when this seller's stock ran out and you could only get them from other sellers. The price went back down to $199 when the seller restocked, and at that price, I think it's a great deal.

If I see any negatives as I continue to use the E203MA, I'll come back with more, but I thought since you were still in the market that you might want to take a look at this option.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Have you considered refurbing your old laptop? Much of my work entails presentations and video training sessions often in developing countries. My trusty road companion for over 8 years has been a Sony Vaio 13.3" laptop and it's still getting the job done.

If it starts acting up my intention is to do what is necessary to keep it going because of the variety of ports and other features: 2 x USB 2.0, USB 3.0, HDMI, VGA, LAN, Memory Stick Duo, SD card, microphone, headphone and a Blu-Ray player in a machine that weighs 3.5lbs. Newer would give me faster, lighter and a better display but not have the same flexibility when it comes to making presentations.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guys
I happen to also looking for a lightweight travel laptop but dont want to pay the $1K price tag as I dont use it for heavy duty work stuff - in fact no work stuff ever needed. Also dont need to watch movie / videos.

Looking at the current sale from Best Buy, what do you think of this low end version of Surface? At $649 it seems quite reasonably priced. Only draw back might be the 4GB only Ram.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...?skuId=6134347

Last edited by Happy; Mar 21, 2019 at 7:05 pm
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
Guys
I happen to also looking for a lightweight travel laptop but dont want to pay the $1K price tag as I dont use it for heavy duty work stuff - in fact no work stuff ever needed. Also dont need to watch movie / videos.

Looking at the current sale from Best Buy, what do you think of this low end version of Surface? At $649 it seems quite reasonably priced. Only draw back might be the 4GB only Ram.

I think it's fine, but with no work tasks or video watching, why take a laptop? Legitimate question, just trying to fit something to your needs.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:45 pm

Guys

Depends on what you need it for.... but some considerations...

1) Does it have the ports you need (not sure what your use-case scenario is).
2) Does it have sufficient storage for you?
3) Depending on what you need it for, is 4Gb RAM sufficient (email and light browsing it should be.... opening 30 tabs, not so much)
4) Keep in mind that there is NO room for expansion.
5) Do you care about the Alcantara surface and that it can be rubbed off (No proof of this yet, but I'm sure the heat and acidic nature of sweat will do it).

For sure it's a good deal, but keep in mind, it's a first gen product (so the original selling price is a bit misleading).
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:39 am
Original Poster

lwildernorva, that ASUS is something I would/am consider/considering. My last 'travel' laptop was a 11.6" Acer. It did what I needed but was pretty much obsolete in a couple of years (if not sooner). Thanks for pointing me to that model.

I'm also still contemplating a Chromebook but I am more familiar with windows.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Have you considered refurbing your old laptop? Much of my work entails presentations and video training sessions often in developing countries. My trusty road companion for over 8 years has been a Sony Vaio 13.3" laptop and it's still getting the job done.

If it starts acting up my intention is to do what is necessary to keep it going because of the variety of ports and other features: 2 x USB 2.0, USB 3.0, HDMI, VGA, LAN, Memory Stick Duo, SD card, microphone, headphone and a Blu-Ray player in a machine that weighs 3.5lbs. Newer would give me faster, lighter and a better display but not have the same flexibility when it comes to making presentations.
The 'old' laptop doesn't have much that can be done to it. It wasn't much to start out with. :-)
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hi.

Surprised if VLC doesn't work. Seems to play back just about any format. On iPads, other players charge you to get the ability to play Dolby Digital or DTS sound tracks but VLC doesn't.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I think it's fine, but with no work tasks or video watching, why take a laptop? Legitimate question, just trying to fit something to your needs.
Need a real computer than an iPad for various reasons.
To name just a few pet peeves on the iPad

1) Chase always sends me to the mobile app which is very much lacking for a lot of functions that are available on a real computer, including access SM and statement PDF which is when you need a card number (to cancel a booking when the site requires it as a security measure) but you have not brought that card with you on a trip... Chase phone rep literally told me to find a computer in order to access that... Luckily Park Hyatt Sydney concierge guy was a champ, he opened the business center passed 10pm on Friday evening so I could use the computer to complete the task - when no way to call due to time difference and BA call centers in either Asia or South Pacific, do not work on weekends!

2) Need coordinates on Google Map, I only know that with a mouse right click you get the coordinates. I dont know how to get it with an iPad... May be there is a trick but so far I haven't been able to figure that out.

3) iPad cannot open docs in words or spreadsheet formats (I use Open Office) that I generally have for each trip as our trips tend to be over 4 weeks or more, there are notes and such that I prepare before leaving home, as often we use 4 or more programs award tickets and similar for the hotels, not to mention the logistics to/from airports, hotels, local transportation etc

I finally decide I need a light weight notebook for travel needs.

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Depends on what you need it for.... but some considerations...

1) Does it have the ports you need (not sure what your use-case scenario is).

Basic USB ports are good enough. Like I said, no video watching is needed,.

2) Does it have sufficient storage for you?

Seems so at least for the Hard Drive. Though I wish the Ram is bigger therefore it would not slow down things when multiple tabs opened, like 4 to 5.

3) Depending on what you need it for, is 4Gb RAM sufficient (email and light browsing it should be.... opening 30 tabs, not so much)

That is what I am thinking.

4) Keep in mind that there is NO room for expansion.

Since I am not doing memory-hogging stuff, I believe the current HD is good enough. It is the Ram that got me a bit worried given the bloated Window OS and apps.

5) Do you care about the Alcantara surface and that it can be rubbed off (No proof of this yet, but I'm sure the heat and acidic nature of sweat will do it).

I have NO CLUE of this at all. What does it exactly mean? You mean the touch screen eventually no longer work due to the acid from fingers? That could be a real issue for me because I have excessive sweaty palm and fingers, a born with defect without cure other than by operation.

For sure it's a good deal, but keep in mind, it's a first gen product (so the original selling price is a bit misleading).
I ignore the original selling price, just consider that at $650 seems to be at the price point that is reasonable enough because I surely dont want to spend $1K for something just taking for trips.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:26 am

I ignore the original selling price, just consider that at $650 seems to be at the price point that is reasonable enough because I surely dont want to spend $1K for something just taking for trips.
Ok, the quote system doesn't like inline responses....but to answer your questions...

1) The hard drive would be a concern. Windows requires a minimum amount of free space to install patches and feature updates. Windows has ALWAYS sucked at patch management (eg, it didn't always delete REALLY old patches it didn't need so it kept consuming more and more space). If you don't have at least a few gigs of space free, it will break the patching cycle and you don't really want that. Windows 10 (at least with the latest feature update) is supposed to reserve some space and have better patch management but I'd err on the side of caution.

2) Alcantara is the material that covers the keyboard side of the laptop (think of it as some fancy felt covering). Unfortunately since it is a fabric, you will eventually rub the "fur" off of spots due to dirt, sweat and the weight of your hands moving up and down beside the touchpad surfaces.(if you look at older laptops with plastic surfaces, often you will see shiny areas where peoples' wrists have rubbed the thing bare). If appearance is a concern in the long terms, this might not be for you.

Link to more information regarding Alcantara HERE

For me, #2 isn't as much of a concern.... when the laptop can't do what I need it to for day to day stuff, I generally retire it to work on other stuff (eg, BOINC computing). But for some people, it is a thing.

As for #1 , this is more of an issue. Most people I know don't really want to deal with maintaining the hard drive more than really required.

I agree, you don't need the latest and greatest to do what you listed. Personally when overseas, I usually use my laptop to back up any photos I take (from there to my own storage at home). I do carry a larger laptop with me on vacation mainly to work on stuff, but honestly if I really think about it, a 14" ultrabook is likely sufficient (and would allow me to work on the plane).
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:20 am

Need a real computer than an iPad for various reasons.
To name just a few pet peeves on the iPad

1) Chase always sends me to the mobile app which is very much lacking for a lot of functions that are available on a real computer, including access SM and statement PDF which is when you need a card number (to cancel a booking when the site requires it as a security measure) but you have not brought that card with you on a trip... Chase phone rep literally told me to find a computer in order to access that... Luckily Park Hyatt Sydney concierge guy was a champ, he opened the business center passed 10pm on Friday evening so I could use the computer to complete the task - when no way to call due to time difference and BA call centers in either Asia or South Pacific, do not work on weekends!

2) Need coordinates on Google Map, I only know that with a mouse right click you get the coordinates. I dont know how to get it with an iPad... May be there is a trick but so far I haven't been able to figure that out.

3) iPad cannot open docs in words or spreadsheet formats (I use Open Office) that I generally have for each trip as our trips tend to be over 4 weeks or more, there are notes and such that I prepare before leaving home, as often we use 4 or more programs award tickets and similar for the hotels, not to mention the logistics to/from airports, hotels, local transportation etc

I finally decide I need a light weight notebook for travel needs.

If you are looking for something more than a mobile platform to do those tasks (BTW, I tend to agree that as convenient as they are, some mobile apps lack all of the functions I like), look at a laptop like the one I mention above or something in that class. As several posts above address, if you're going with a Windows system, buy above a 32 gb drive for storage. Additional storage, if needed, can be handled by a microSD card. On the other hand, given that you're not tied into MS Office and instead use Open Office, a Chromebook might work for you as well. I guarantee you that you can spend well below $650 to find something that meets your needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.