Canadian cell plan ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian cell plan ideas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Canadian cell plan ideas

Anyone know of a good North American cell plan that includes data, text, calls? I need to find a better solution for my son who goes to school in the US, but is home for the summer, christmas, thanksgiving, etc.

Would prefer a Canadian mobile company...
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Anyone know of a good North American cell plan that includes data, text, calls? I need to find a better solution for my son who goes to school in the US, but is home for the summer, christmas, thanksgiving, etc.

For long term usage you probably don’t want a roam as home at $5 a day but I think Wind does a $15 month charge to use your plan or a certain amount in the US.

I don’t know where you are and if you have Wind service as I believe it isn’t great across Canada (but then I’ve had issues using Roger and Telus in some provinces) though.

Also depends how much data your son needs - assume wifi is pretty widespread at most campuses these days. And cost wise you may get a better deal if you can use his address there to bill it to even at current x rate. I have a relative in the US who pays some ridiculous (low) rate for everything across the continent including Mexico. Dunno if that works for students ba green card holders.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
If you give up on Canadian carrier options (since he would spend most of his time in the US at school) consider Google Fi using his US address*
* google wants a US credit card billing/alternate ship address, ask me or how I know...

$20/month unlimited talk/text essentially worldwide. 4g data speeds in US/Canada/Mexico. Data use is billed based on actual usage $10/gb but once it reaches 6GB additional data becomes free. No contract and some big phone discounts or just order a sim card.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc
Thats me too. But corp pays the bill so they likely got any messages.
This was a text message sent to at least two of us on the plan.

Canadian company is going to ruin this for you. T-Mobile or Google will be much better options.
smallmj likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Moved from the Air Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
AIr Canada forum moderator
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC 50K

My family all has the Telus Canada - US plan.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility...sDevices=false

I brought my own device which made the plan cheaper and we also have shareable data. Not the cheapest but I've never had a problem in Canada or the US.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by expert7700
If you give up on Canadian carrier options (since he would spend most of his time in the US at school) consider Google Fi using his US address*
* google wants a US credit card billing/alternate ship address, ask me or how I know...

$20/month unlimited talk/text essentially worldwide. 4g data speeds in US/Canada/Mexico. Data use is billed based on actual usage $10/gb but once it reaches 6GB additional data becomes free. No contract and some big phone discounts or just order a sim card.
I have the US credit card and alternate address, so I will look into this. Biggest issue is cell/data coverage, as his school is in a rural area.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700

Seems that Fi does not work as well on iOS. Fi for iOS still in beta...

"If you’re on an iPhone, you won’t be able to tether internationally.", texting will require extra setup, some features won't work, etc. But plan looks very, very affordable!

Wonder if they will let us port his Cdn cell phone number??

Last edited by Yhztraveller; Dec 14, 2018 at 8:46 pm Reason: more info
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone know of a good North American cell plan that includes data, text, calls? I need to find a better solution for my son who goes to school in the US, but is home for the summer, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc..
Look here--> List of Prepaid SIM threads (country-specific and multi-country)
jerry305 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:46 pm

Wonder if they will let us port his Cdn cell phone number??
Doubtful, but I believe GV still lets you choose your own number. My 1998 Sprint number was pretty sweet (and I ported it over to a backup google account just to keep it), but when I got Fi, I found a number that ended in 2345678 with an easy area code to boot.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:06 pm

No, but you can port his Canadian cell phone number to Line 2 which will forward to a US number for about $10 a month and will give him unlimited text to/from Canada. When he is done with his schooling he can port his number back to a Canadian carrier. He can also use his Canadian number over wifi on campus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.