Wiki Posts
Search

How to Start? to Get Google Fi Phone

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Question How to Start? to Get Google Fi Phone

I'm very tempted by Google Fi, due to its usability in many international locations. But, given my current situation, I'm not sure how to get it.

My primary GMail account is already linked to a Google Voice number that I never use and would readily abandon.
I would like to get a Google Fi phone and port my current mobile phone number to it.

How do I start??
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
I'm very tempted by Google Fi, due to its usability in many international locations. But, given my current situation, I'm not sure how to get it.

My primary GMail account is already linked to a Google Voice number that I never use and would readily abandon.
I would like to get a Google Fi phone and port my current mobile phone number to it.

How do I start??
1. Port the number to the google account you want to use with Fi
2. Order a compliant phone
3. Sign up for Fi
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by moondog
1. Port the number to the google account you want to use with Fi
2. Order a compliant phone
3. Sign up for Fi
This would leave me without a working mobile until I receive the compliant phone? Ouch!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
This would leave me without a working mobile until I receive the compliant phone? Ouch!
Do it the other way around then.

Sign up for Google Fi. It will likely give you the option to use your existing GV number (which you don't use). Order the new phone when you sign up.
Once you activate the new phone, port your existing number. It usually is a quick process.
brp1264 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:56 am

The number porting process doesn't start until you receive and activate your Fi SIM, so it doesn't matter whether you port your current number in when ordering or do it later. Whatever you do, don't port your number to Google Voice first--it costs $20 to port numbers to GV but if you're paying for Fi, you can port it in for free.

When you sign up for Fi, you should have the option to use your existing GV number, port in your mobile number, or get an entirely new one.

That said, I'm with Cat Man Do--do a "late" port. That way if you decide you hate the new phone or discover that Fi has no coverage at your house/office/favorite bar, you can cancel without having to mess with porting your number back to your previous carrier. You'll have to pay for both services for a couple days, but that's cheap insurance.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Google Fi (new name) has great service. Call or chat is quick. Chat works great in Europe. I bought my wife the moto x4. When it arrived I called Fi. Switch from ATT to Fi porting the number took 15 minutes for the new phone to go live. I think we had to patch in ATT but the Fi folks did all that. Depending if you are pre or post paid you may need account numbers and pins for your old account. 2 people $35 a month for talk text then the data is variable. 3 trips to Europe since she switched and she loves it.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by boerne
Google Fi (new name) has great service. Call or chat is quick. Chat works great in Europe. I bought my wife the moto x4. When it arrived I called Fi. Switch from ATT to Fi porting the number took 15 minutes for the new phone to go live. I think we had to patch in ATT but the Fi folks did all that. Depending if you are pre or post paid you may need account numbers and pins for your old account. 2 people $35 a month for talk text then the data is variable. 3 trips to Europe since she switched and she loves it.
I loved Fi when I was in the US last year, but I dropped it a week after I got back to China because it was nearly impossible to get 4g data.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I did have to force it to T mobile in Budapest last week. I think I would switch towers and my phone would connect with a non contract carrier. If I forced T Mo and stayed put it stayed T Mo. Same for my wife.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
I wonder if Fi allows numbers to be ported out, in case one is not satisfied with their offering ? Im not convinced this is straightforward. Any experiences from FT members will be great
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by jblueflyer
I wonder if Fi allows numbers to be ported out, in case one is not satisfied with their offering ? Im not convinced this is straightforward. Any experiences from FT members will be great
I'm not sure, but after I dropped Fi, I continued to use my number on Google voice / hangouts. It works great if you have a good connection.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by jblueflyer
I have ported into and out of FI several times. My experience was porting from FI to T-Mobile about 3 weeks ago. Took all of 30 seconds to complete with no issues. Previous times were also seamless to T-mobile.

Why did I port out?

I was using project FI’s primary sim card in my iphone... which has some drawbacks but overall I was happy. With the release of iOS 12.1 the concept of e-sim gave me a good idea. I’d put t-mobile as my primary carrier for while I’m in the US... and thus solve the iOS oddities. Then I’d put a data only sim from FI, into the open sim slot in my iPhone. Thus getting the best of both worlds. Reliable iPhone service domestic, and super-fast LTE roaming for only $10/gb abroad.

No sooner had I done that than T-Mobile now announced Consumer GLobal Plus. Which is UNLIMITED UNTHROTTLED data internationally w/ 5GB tethering as a $50/month addon to a T-mo One plan.

So while I’m wating for them to stop dragging their feet re: e-sim, I’m on Global Plus One. I’m in london now and am p ulling 114mbps down and 9.5 up over cellular, so i’m a happy camper.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by moondog
I loved Fi when I was in the US last year, but I dropped it a week after I got back to China because it was nearly impossible to get 4g data.
I think I’ve mentioned this before, but FI or t-mobile for that matter works MUCH better in China if you have your sim in an iPhone or iPad. Has to do with supported bands on the device and China Mobile’s LTE bands.

I had full blast LTE literaly everywhere I went from Beijing all around Zhenzhou, even to the mountains outside of Lushan.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
I have ported into and out of FI several times. My experience was porting from FI to T-Mobile about 3 weeks ago. Took all of 30 seconds to complete with no issues. Previous times were also seamless to T-mobile.
Thanks for confirming and also yes I see that you have made the best use of both worlds in switching. Cheers !
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:24 am

Could someone please let me know how much are the monthly taxes and other charges for the minimum level of Fi service (presumably $20 monthly connection fee + $10 minimum data fee)? If I am not happy with the charges can I cancel the service and be free of all obligations, if the phone itself was paid in full when purchased?the

I understand that the taxes are based on where one lives, but perhaps someone can give me the sample rates for a location so that I have an idea.

When signing up for the service if one acquires a phone at the same time, it says that the purchase price will be higher if not activated within 30 days. But is there a minimum period that one must retain the service, in order to avoid this non-activation penalty?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My most recent bill shows taxes and “fees” (ie disguised taxes) were $5.98 on $22.07 in California.

So, a rate slightly higher than 27% which sounds about right for US tax rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.