Best Unlocked 4G LTE Wifi "Router"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Unlocked 4G LTE Wifi "Router"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Um ...?
Not that difficult. I have Verizon on my cell phone which wasn't working. TMobile was.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Given the U.S. intelligence community's warning against using Huawei and ZTE, is NetGear the best choice for international 4G support? Are there other good brands that don't have security concerns?

Ref: "The heads of six major US intelligence agencies have warned that American citizens shouldn’t use products and services made by Chinese tech giants Huawei and ZTE."
(I can't post links yet, but Google for "Huawei FBI" for plenty of references)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I have a Fi which gives me numerous chips and I'm looking for one to put in a device to loan to relatives and close friends. A few years ago, you could loan someone a phone to take abroad. Now, their phones are so customized with their apps that the idea of taking someone else's phone for a trip is about as appealing as wearing someone else's used underwear.
Now you could just loan them the Data Sim to put in their phone (needs to be unlocked or T-mobile) as Fi opened up to pretty much all the phones. I just let my niece use my Fi Data SIM on her iPhone in Europe. It was great and cheap!

Last edited by Need; Jan 15, 2019 at 3:05 pm
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by zippy_sd
Given the U.S. intelligence community's warning against using Huawei and ZTE
Eh. I have one of Huawei's 4G routers; I'm not worried about it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
We watched some Huawei hardware like a hawk, the only phoning home to China it was doing was looking up Huawei's own NTP server on Huawei's DNS server.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I have a Fi which gives me numerous chips and I'm looking for one to put in a device to loan to relatives and close friends. A few years ago, you could loan someone a phone to take abroad. Now, their phones are so customized with their apps that the idea of taking someone else's phone for a trip is about as appealing as wearing someone else's used underwear.
Some phones also have the concept of user accounts. You can log on a guest account so they have their own private space, away from yours
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I really like the glocalme U2 , on short trips I can use its built in SIM w/ the data packages they sell or for longer trips I can buy a local SIM and use that. 150/50 LTE, enough for me...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.