Reload this Page >

Hate the new gmail format

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hate the new gmail format

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by ShopAround
One thing I've noticed that's much slower is deleting an email.
Having the same issue under FF. Literally a couple seconds just to delete an e-mail. One of my other accounts is still on the old format, and deleting is instantaneous as you mentioned.

Not really a big deal as I was already switching away from gmail. The new interface isn't terrible but it's probably a good time to permanently move.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I think people just want to complain about change.
Or maybe, just maybe you shouldn't assume the multiple FT'ers reporting the issue are lying about it.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
You can check the checkbox for that email, click on the three vertical dots on the toolbar below the search field, and choose Filter messages like these. From that point you can either create a filter rule or just execute a simple search.
Thanks. It's a few extra clicks compared to the old way, but still quicker than manually searching for additional emails from the same sender.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I have two different gmail accounts opened in two different tabs. Both are set at "compact" display but one is way more compact than the other.

No idea how to get the first one to look like the second.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I have two different gmail accounts opened in two different tabs. Both are set at "compact" display but one is way more compact than the other.

No idea how to get the first one to look like the second.
It's a little hard to tell, but I think the only difference is that you have the "main menu" open? The toggle is the three horizontal bars at upper left.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:30 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gengar
It's a little hard to tell, but I think the only difference is that you have the "main menu" open? The toggle is the three horizontal bars at upper left.
Oh, thank you!

Utterly unintuitive, huh?

I continue to not understand why there was such a "need" for an "up"grade. Sigh.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Mine switched over this morning w/o the " switch back to classic" tab. I think I am stuck with the new. What I don't like about it is that the new not only looks heavier and brighter but it looks cartoonish. The classic was more svelte and ....well... classic.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
We just switch from G Suite to Office 365 today and not looking back!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am no fan of the new Gmail, but now I am semi comfortable with it. I really wish Google would invest a little effort Calendar UI, search in particular is quite old school.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Perhaps time for an upgrade. Using Firefox on last years Macbook pro it takes <1s.
Chrome took about 2 seconds when I just tried it on my new iMac. Fast enough for me
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I hate the new Gmail interface b/c it doesn't offer enough contrast. They rolled out what they call a 'high contrast' option, but that does not fix the issue for me unfortunately.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
The more I use it, the more I want to lose it. So I guess it shall be lost.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:37 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't mind the predictive text feature (I find I've been saving some time thanks to that) but the habit of bumping old emails with "Received 5 Days Ago, Reply?" or "Sent 5 Days Ago, Follow Up?" is annoying. It gets things out of order and makes emails harder to find.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CMK10
I don't mind the predictive text feature (I find I've been saving some time thanks to that) but the habit of bumping old emails with "Received 5 Days Ago, Reply?" or "Sent 5 Days Ago, Follow Up?" is annoying. It gets things out of order and makes emails harder to find.
That can all be turned off in the settings.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Yeah

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Well, just like they did with Google Maps a few years ago, Gmail's interface has changed to something that conveys far less information and is far more annoying.

And the option on my settings/gear icon no longer has the "switch back to classic" view.

Sigh.

Count me as another hater...it loads slower too
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I don't hate it, but I am not keen on it, but will live with it. But the one thing that does leave me shaking my head is that with all the supposed fantastic minds at Google they come up with something that is as basic as this. I guess all the investment is wringing out every little possible advertising revenue generating opportunity by analyzing your email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.