The 2018 iPhones (Xs/Xs Max/Xr) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2018 iPhones (Xs/Xs Max/Xr) thread

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Do you make use of the physical sim with your Xs, either at home or abroad?

I'm new to being exposed to the Ubigi solution for data roaming, and just starting to explore getting an Xs. Have you sought out getting a physical sim for abroad use that would include data and voice? Or, is this not an option when the esim is the default with the Xs?

Many thanks.
Voice and data work off either SIM, anytime, as long as the plan provider supports it (eg, using a Google Fi data-only SIM won't get you voice).

I use T-Mobile as my eSIM (wasn't easy, but finally got them to do it) and Google Fi (full capability SIM) as my physical SIM. When I travel abroad, I un-pause my Fi and switch data over to it for the LTE speed.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Voice and data work off either SIM, anytime, as long as the plan provider supports it (eg, using a Google Fi data-only SIM won't get you voice).

I use T-Mobile as my eSIM (wasn't easy, but finally got them to do it) and Google Fi (full capability SIM) as my physical SIM. When I travel abroad, I un-pause my Fi and switch data over to it for the LTE speed.
Thank you.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I need a new iPhone b/c my current 6s has some dead pixels. Don't want to do under-contract upgrade b/c need to be able to switch out SIMs when traveling. Debating the X for $649 at Best Buy or the 8 for $599 at Apple. Every google search I do compares the X to the 8 Plus, and compares them with a much wider price differential, with the 8 Plus usually taking the lead. Now that the price difference is only $50, would the X be considered the better buy?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
iPhone X has much better and larger screen, but it has the notch (google If you don’t know what that is). X has better camera and better water resistance. I suspect the X case is very slightly more vulnerable to damage, but have no evidence (even web chatter) to support that. X is very slightly bigger but because of no bezel around the screen, size differences are so small I doubt
you’ll notice.

For me it would be the X without a second thought, but ymmv.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Mike B
iPhone X has much better and larger screen, but it has the notch (google If you don’t know what that is). X has better camera and better water resistance. I suspect the X case is very slightly more vulnerable to damage, but have no evidence (even web chatter) to support that. X is very slightly bigger but because of no bezel around the screen, size differences are so small I doubt
you’ll notice.

That's a helpful endorsement. I got used to the blob of dead pixels pretty quickly LOL so maybe the notch wouldn't bother me. I resist change and so losing the home button feels really big to me. But you're certainty is helpful!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Michael Ad

I've been looking into this issue a bit more now that I have more experience with my Xs. If I were to get Fi for operation with a physical SIM, how does one switch the default data plan from the esim to the physical Fi sim? What does it mean to "un-pause?" Finally, does Fi send you a physical sim?

Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Mike B
you’ll notice.

not necessarily larger than the 8 Plus screen because it’s a narrower aspect ratio.

but X has OLED screen so better blacks.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
Originally Posted by wco81

not necessarily larger than the 8 Plus screen because it’s a narrower aspect ratio.

but X has OLED screen so better blacks.
i didn’t get into details, but yes, the aspect ratio of the iPhone X is different. It is optimized for viewing modern video filmed in 16x9 format. If you watch movies on your iPhone (i undertand people actually do this) you will definitely like it better. I do most browsing in, landscape mode, so this works for me, but if you always hold your iPhone vertically, the screen will seem not as wide, but much taller. As mentioned, the OLED screen on the X is almost universally acclaimed for better blacks, and most people like the color and vividness better.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
That's a helpful endorsement. I got used to the blob of dead pixels pretty quickly LOL so maybe the notch wouldn't bother me. I resist change and so losing the home button feels really big to me. But you're certainty is helpful!
The lack of a home button is an issue for a week or two, with likely many foul words coming out of your mouth, or at least I did. Now its a complete non issue and get annoyed when I have to deal with an older phone. Overall, very happy with my iPhone X. Usual advice, get a decent case, and I'm also a fan of the expensive screen protectors that are made of glass. I will say I've never been impressed with the cameras in Apple products. I still think the lighting has to be perfect, otherwise the photos are average at best. No big deal I guess, but I think Samsung and a few other Android offerings seem to have better cameras.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
The lack of a home button is an issue for a week or two, with likely many foul words coming out of your mouth, or at least I did. Now its a complete non issue and get annoyed when I have to deal with an older phone. Overall, very happy with my iPhone X. Usual advice, get a decent case, and I'm also a fan of the expensive screen protectors that are made of glass. I will say I've never been impressed with the cameras in Apple products. I still think the lighting has to be perfect, otherwise the photos are average at best. No big deal I guess, but I think Samsung and a few other Android offerings seem to have better cameras.
Yeah, I'm anticipating my youngest kid admonishing me for the cussing re no home button. Will heed advice re case and glass screen protector. I didn't realize they were glass. I don't usually care too much about photos since the ones I take are primarily functional ("is this the battery you want" from store). However, I've gotten to where I hate taking my DSLR on trips and so a good camera would be nice for those moments.

Per the comment upthread, 99% of the time I'm in vertical/portrait. And I'm not even considering the 8 Plus. Don't like one that physically big.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Yeah, I'm anticipating my youngest kid admonishing me for the cussing re no home button. Will heed advice re case and glass screen protector. I didn't realize they were glass. I don't usually care too much about photos since the ones I take are primarily functional ("is this the battery you want" from store). However, I've gotten to where I hate taking my DSLR on trips and so a good camera would be nice for those moments.

Per the comment upthread, 99% of the time I'm in vertical/portrait. And I'm not even considering the 8 Plus. Don't like one that physically big.
Only carry my DSRL once in awhile now, but the best of phones don't compare. Prepare to be dissapointed.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Only carry my DSRL once in awhile now, but the best of phones don't compare. Prepare to be dissapointed.
Oh, I know. But it's better than nothing. I'll take the big boy to South Africa but not to Miami.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
The BF must have taken 4,000 pics on our recent trip through OR and WA - beaches, rainforest, mountains, Seattle, etc. Half with his DSLR and half with his Xr. I honestly don't see much of a difference in color or clarity; his DSLR of course allowed him to mount his really, big, long, mammoth...zoom lens.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If you look at pics on a phone screen, yeah the differences won’t be apparent.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by wco81
If you look at pics on a phone screen, yeah the differences won’t be apparent.
Well, I'm certainly not looking at 4,000 pics as 8x10 prints mounted on a gallery wall. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.