Wiki Posts
Search

The 2018 iPhones (Xs/Xs Max/Xr) thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:29 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Not liking the Face ID. Maybe I'll get used to it but a fingerprint seem so much easier
That’s actually one of my favorite features - I didn’t think I’d like it all but it’s amazing how instant it is.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
The face ID thing took me about a week to get used to, but it seems more reliable than the touch ID though. Even my sales person said I should be prepaired to hate the iPhone X for at least a week, and she was correct. Now I hate using my wife and kids iPhone 6S, 8, and our iPads.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by SANspotter

That’s actually one of my favorite features - I didn’t think I’d like it all but it’s amazing how instant it is.
Now that I figured out I can add a second face with glasses it works a bit better.

I have exchanged my Xs Max for a regular Xs -- the Max was just bugging my with how heavy it was. So of course I now have to set up all my apps again
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Now that I figured out I can add a second face with glasses it works a bit better.
I setup my Face ID without glasses, and never have an issue unlocking with glasses (regular or sun-).

I have exchanged my Xs Max for a regular Xs -- the Max was just bugging my with how heavy it was. So of course I now have to set up all my apps again
Why wouldn't you just restore from an encrypted backup? I did that going from a X to XS Max, worked like a charm - pretty much all apps, passwords, settings are preserved perfectly, including health data etc if you use that.

There was a time in the past where I would setup a phone as New when upgrading (even sometimes when going to a new major iOS version) but not anymore, too much hassle and the encrypted backup restore works great.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by CatJo
I setup my Face ID without glasses, and never have an issue unlocking with glasses (regular or sun-).

Why wouldn't you just restore from an encrypted backup? I did that going from a X to XS Max, worked like a charm - pretty much all apps, passwords, settings are preserved perfectly, including health data etc if you use that.

There was a time in the past where I would setup a phone as New when upgrading (even sometimes when going to a new major iOS version) but not anymore, too much hassle and the encrypted backup restore works great.
I did restore from a backup. The apps were there (and data) but I had to reset up Face Time on the apps that used it and my passwords were in the keychain but when logging in to banking (and such) apps I had to reenter. Many also wanted me to re-verify with passcode sent via SMS (detecting a phone change?). Also had reauthorize my Authenticator app (use that for a number of 2 factor verifications) and a bunch of other little stuff. No big deal but it just takes time -- and I am leaving on 3 week European trip soon and don't want any surprises when I need to use something (and am away from my computer)

Interesting on the Face Time -- for me I did the initial with my glasses (because I don't see well without them for detail stuff) and without glasses Face Time didn't work for me. Next time I do this I will try without glasses first. Maybe a coating on the glasses?

I am liking the regular Xs more as I use it. So far though, I like the portrait mode on the Pixel 2 XL a little better -- on the iPhone it seems not to work so well if taking a picture of an inanimate object (i.e. no "face" to recognize). But the blur slider is way cool. I'll be doing a bunch of side by side tests on my trip and should have a better feel. I just wish the dual SIM option was ready -- I could real use that this trip. As it is I'll be taking 3 phones (iPhone Xs, Pixel 2 XL and either my old Nexus 5x or old iPhone 5 with a German SIM).
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Love when new iPhones are released because can get the "old" models for less now

I actually "downgraded" to the SE last time since I kept breaking my 6. I have iPad for movies and general travel so prefer the smaller size, fits in my running armband and if I lose it or have it stolen traveling I don't have much $$ invested in it and they are insanely durable- drop it all the time and still works great.

That said camera is not the best anymore in the SE and battery is not what it used to be but think I will bite the bullet and go for an 8 here but the 8 scares me with the glass backing. I'll definitely get a slim cover for it (so still fits in running and cycling gear) but anyone have any issues with breaking it? So hard on phones as-is, and the X's really scare me because the screen is that much more intricate
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
I just upgraded from the 7Plus to the X Max and am loving it. The phone size is about the same, the screen size is larger, and I like the Face ID, and no button taking up valuable screen size space. The increased speed of the phone is the biggest difference I am seeing so far, and not having to touch anything to unlock the phone.

Patrick
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
I did restore from a backup.
Just to confirm, this was an encrypted backup in iTunes or an iCloud backup? I used the former and most apps (that I've checked so far, anyway) were still logged in, my authenticator app was all set, and it really was a breeze to get started with the new phone.

One thing I really like with iOS 12 is the further integration of LastPass (and others like 1Password) etc. into the system so they can be used instead of Keychain - so much easier now.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
One thing I really like with iOS 12 is the further integration of LastPass (and others like 1Password) etc. into the system so they can be used instead of Keychain - so much easier now.
didn't realize this. Just enabled Lastpass integration. Brilliant!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For the XS and XS Max, how good are its wifi and LTE reception compared to your prior iPhone?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
For those who had an iPhone 8 Plus and went to the iPhone XS Max -- what's the weight difference (not interested in numbers, but feel if you know what I mean) and is the battery life considerably better? TIA
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Upgraded from SE to the XS 64gb. The screen size is a bit hard to get used to but I am working on it. Camera is awesome and the screen is just gorgeous.

Heft takes some time to get used to.

Face ID is impressive —I was never impressed with the Touch ID thing. Face ID has been 100% so far for the last 12 hours and even in a dark room ��

Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Deleted

Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:20 am

Just to confirm, this was an encrypted backup in iTunes or an iCloud backup?.
The first one was an iTunes backup but backed up to iCloud.

The second one I used a iMazing backup -- just to try something different.

The next time I have to do this (hopefully not in a while!) I will do a local backup with iTunes first and restore from that.

Thx
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
For the XS and XS Max, how good are its wifi and LTE reception compared to your prior iPhone?
That’s a key question.

Because of ongoing dispute with Qualcomm, apple may be trying to eliminate Qualcomm base band in favor of Intel base band.

There used to be one SKU with Qualcomm, in order to support CDMA but now there is just one SKU?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.