Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

On-Board AC Power Outlets

On-Board AC Power Outlets

Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Lufthomie
I bring my own power. I have a battery more or less the size of 2 packs of cigs end to end. It has two USB charging ports so it keeps our phones powered up when we need it. It has the capacity to fully charge a cell phone 7 times before it needs to be recharged. I cant rely on maybe having an outlet or maybe having a plug that works. I'm totally ocd and have to have things i can count on.
This. I've never used onboard power. And I would never plug anything into a random USB outlet. Bad OPSEC.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by HDQDD
This. I've never used onboard power. And I would never plug anything into a random USB outlet. Bad OPSEC.
Why not use a USB condom like
this this
? It doesn't connect the data pins so there's no path for malware to enter your device.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:48 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Why not use a USB condom like this? It doesn't connect the data pins so there's no path for malware to enter your device.
While I see this solves the potential malware problem, AFAIK the USB ports on planes are 0.5 amps. At that low current flow, very few devices other than a smartphone will benefit from the miniscule 2.5 watt output. Even a smartphone (in airplane mode) may draw more current than being replaced, depending on what you are doing with it

Last edited by Craig6z; Sep 10, 2018 at 4:11 pm Reason: Bad grade school math
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Carry one of these [a 3-pin extension cord) with you... The added support of the grounding pin (plus less weight on the receptacle) will save you.
Honestly, I didn't realize that the airplane outlets even had a hole for a ground pin. It's not necessary for safety on an airplane since neither of the two power pins are "grounded," and all of the wall-wart style chargers I've seen don't have a grounding pin, though I used to have a laptop computer that had a power supply with a grounded plug. As far as the weight is concerned, those are fairly heavily insulated 16 gauge wire and can act as a pretty good lever on a flimsy outlet. I think you've just been lucky with the support gained from the third pin.

Anything that increases the length extending out from the socket increases the risk that, even with a reasonably snug fit, it will get knocked out by an inadvertent kick when you or your seat neighbor moves a leg, or crosses your plug when getting out of their seat. Power at the seat is a nice perk when it works, but I've learned not to depend on it being there.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I bought a box of six of those quite a while ago at a decent price. I keep one in my bag, finding it especially handy at hotels where the bedside electric socket can be either high up or much lower.
I carry a 6 foot lighter gauge extension cord with me in my laptop bag, in addition to a three-outlet tap with the grounding pin. Now that I've been made aware that the airplane outlets accommodate a three-pin plug, I'll give my triple tap a try next time I encounter a loose outlet. It might help, though I'm going to look for a European-pinned charger, a less haywire solution.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I do something similar, but some of the outlets are so bad that it doesn't want to stay in even with a grounding plug. I'm going to try to UK plug trick next time.
I have an adapter, but (as above) it adds about another inch and a half to the "level" attempting to pry the plug out of the socket.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Craig6z
While I see this solves the potential malware problem, AFAIK the USB ports on planes are 0.5 amps. At that low current flow, very few devices other than a smartphone will benefit from the miniscule 5 watt output. Even a smartphone (in airplane mode) may draw more current than being replaced, depending on what you are doing with it
This. I carry an inline meter to see how many amps I'm pulling (they're like $7 on Amazon). I did check a DL plane once and it was 500mA (0.5A) which takes forever to charge most devices. iPhone for example pulls about 1.5A at peak then drops down to about 1.1 and then lower as it reaches 100%. iPad ~2.3A peak. IIRC, an iPad will not even charge off of 500mA.

500mA was the original spec for USB power Eons ago, but there are still many devices out there that only support 500mA. My power bank provides 4A, so that's plenty to charge either an iPad or iPhone. My laptop usually lasts 6-8hr so I just charge it prior to flight.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
It might help, though I'm going to look for a European-pinned charger, a less haywire solution.
Sorry, but I can't link from Amazon shopping on my phone, so here are the keywords. Granted, no grounding, but it's available at a reasonable price in the States, with a Europlug (Type C) as default. I keep it in a large soft pencil case, along with a spare USB cable, my Kindle Fire fast charger and the included C to A (for Japanese and N. American sockets) piece.

ROAD WARRIOR 3-Outlet Travel Universal Power Strip, Designed in JAPAN - Go!Con Tap RW47BK-US [Black]
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HDQDD
This. I carry an inline meter to see how many amps I'm pulling (they're like $7 on Amazon). I did check a DL plane once and it was 500mA (0.5A) which takes forever to charge most devices. iPhone for example pulls about 1.5A at peak then drops down to about 1.1 and then lower as it reaches 100%. iPad ~2.3A peak. IIRC, an iPad will not even charge off of 500mA.
I know that this is Flyer Talk, but being on an airplane isn't like being at home. I don't expect a full recharge from near-dead even on a 4 hour flight. I use my phone to listen to pre-loaded music and start out with a full charge. Having power on board lets me keep up with the relatively small power demand and I can leave the flight at near what I started out with. If I watched a movie on the phone, as it seems is the trend on airplanes these days, with the screen and WiFi on all the time, I can understand why a 500 mA-Hr charge wouldn't quite keep up.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Sorry, but I can't link from Amazon shopping on my phone, so here are the keywords.
I ran across that Road Warrior when looking for a European USB charger, but it was too large for me to want to carry. I already have my computer bag stuffed to the gills with cables, adapters, headphones (I hate "buds), mouse, a book, a snack, etc. This one is more my speed. Ten bucks for two, and it has two outlets so you can share it with a seat mate whose US adapter keeps falling out of the outlet.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:13 am

I know that this is Flyer Talk, but being on an airplane isn't like being at home.
Thanks for that "insight"...?

I don't expect a full recharge from near-dead even on a 4 hour flight.
Me either, which is why I suggested (and subscribe to) bringing your own power. Even if an airline has higher Amperage power outlets, there's always the chance it could be INOP at your seat.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I use one of those 99-cent 3-prong-to-2-prong adapters (the kind like you'd use for plugging in a grounded device into a very old home). They have flexible prongs(? tines?) that I can spread as necessary to get it to fit; works well in the hotel room case as well. But thanks for the British adapter Pro-Tip for plane usage!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.