Search

Verizon plan changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Verizon plan changes

I guess I missed this - was everyone else aware?

As of about a week ago, Verizon's standard unlimited plan is subject to de-prioritization at any time. Even your first bytes of the month. To get the previous standard - subject to de-prioritization after 22GB usage - you now need to sign up for the "beyond unlimited" plan - an extra $30/month for my family of 3 phones. The base also only includes 480p video and 3G hotspot. HD and 15GB LTE hotspot comes with the higher plan

My free Sprint year is up and I was at least exploring. But $180 vs. $100/month isn't worth the small reliability/service levels difference I've seen using both services over the last year.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
I guess I missed this - was everyone else aware?

As of about a week ago, Verizon's standard unlimited plan is subject to de-prioritization at any time. .
no, that was introduced in 2017 august (see articles timestamped 2017 august)
https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/22/1...net-neutrality

august 2017: (for 1 line)
goUnlimited $75/month= unmetered unlimited, but deprioritized at any time

beyondUnlimited $85/month = 22GB prioritized data, then turns into goUnlimited

(and businessUnlimited, out of scope for this discussion)

for last week: this was added
aboveUnlimited $95/month = 75GB prioritized data, then turns into a pumpkin and becomes goUnlimited. Has benefits like 5 travelpasses and 500GB cloud storage
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Weird - I never saw that in any comparison article and the rep confirmed it was “new” : “Sorry about that - we just found out about it last week”. I just checked 3 ‘compare carrier plans’ articles from the last 2 months and they all had gounlimited at 22GB for throttling.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I have an unlimited data plan from circa 2006, does this apply to that?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If this is what I can expect from my new "unlimited" plan, I'll be moving elsewhere. Mid-day, around the center of our small town. I never had issues before in the exact same location.

Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Confused:

1. What is de-prioritized data? Verizon will cut customers off randomly or slow down the speed?
  2. "Unlimited" data isn't unlimited unless you pay for "beyond" unlimited?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
If this is what I can expect from my new "unlimited" plan, I'll be moving elsewhere. Mid-day, around the center of our small town. I never had issues before in the exact same location.

I dropped VzW earlier this year because of speeds. In the past they have always been decent up until about a year ago, then it went to crap. I was getting speeds about like yours in OKC, Austin, Houston, Nashville - so it wasn't specific to a certain area. I was on an old 10GB plan at the time. Multiple complaints and executive escalations resulted in no resolution from them, they didn't seem to care and at one point told me I could just turn in the 3 phones on my account and walk away and they'd wipe the balance. I also asked about moving to unlimited on the basic one that always throttles and they all but said I'd have no data service since I "was always in congested areas". Their FB page is nothing but people complaining of poor speeds every day.

Verizon used to be great, and I was OK with paying a slight premium for better service, but that's no longer the case. I swapped to Tmobile and have been very happy - yes it is a little weaker out in the sticks, but not horrible and getting better every day. Speeds in town on average range from 20-80Mb down, with my record so far being around 170. Customer service has been great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.