Wiki Posts
Search

Sharing non-networked devices

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sharing non-networked devices

I have a couple of computers, Windows 7 pro. One of them has a scanner that I would like to access from another computer.

The scanner is connected to computer A via USB. Both computers are on the same network, same subnet, same homegroup, etc. I have selected the device as shared and discoverable.

Trying to get at the scanner from computer B on the network (laptop). Tried the add a device,wizard but it never sees it. All the info I've been able to find seems to be directed toward accessing a printer that is connected to the other computer via ethernet, so the printer has an IP address. This is pretty easy.The scanner has no network capability - it's just a device connected to the computer.

It would seem that this should be an easy task, but I follow all the directions and come up with nothing.

A. Is what I want to do possible? Seems like it should be.
B. Can anyone point me to a web page that goes through the 1-2-3 of how you do this?

TIA
Old May 22, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
On the computer the scanner is connected to:

Click "Start," then "Control Panel." Type "Network" in the search box, then click "View network computers and devices" under "Network and Sharing Center." Right-click on your scanner and select "Install." Though the scanner is already installed on your local computer, this makes it accessible on the network. You should then be able to see it from your other machine.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Doesn't seem to work. The device is listed, but right-clicking it does not produce an option to "install"
Old May 23, 2018, 8:42 am

You might want to look at this (Network Twain Engine) as an option. Success has been mixed for some users.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
You might want to look at this (Network Twain Engine) as an option. Success has been mixed for some users.
Downloaded a copy and unzipped the package. It seems what you get is the C code, .h files, a copy of the GPL, along with another lot of miscellaneous files. The (rather scanty) documentation says it will compile properly with Delphi 3 and maybe Delphi 4. ...?

I recall my early efforts with Linux, with documentation that assumed you already knew exactly what they were talking about. I would ask a question, get an answer, and when I was still confused I was told (essentially) I wasn't 'worthy' of using such a marvelous program.

Anyhow, it seems that, while connecting a remote printer is pretty easy, scanners are another problem entirely.

I'll work on some workarounds.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check the scanner manufacturer's website. A lot of companies' full driver package has an option for sharing the scanner over the network. I have found it to more or less work as advertised, but it can be a bit of a pain to get going.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
Downloaded a copy and unzipped the package. It seems what you get is the C code, .h files, a copy of the GPL, along with another lot of miscellaneous files. The (rather scanty) documentation says it will compile properly with Delphi 3 and maybe Delphi 4. ...?

I recall my early efforts with Linux, with documentation that assumed you already knew exactly what they were talking about. I would ask a question, get an answer, and when I was still confused I was told (essentially) I wasn't 'worthy' of using such a marvelous program.

Anyhow, it seems that, while connecting a remote printer is pretty easy, scanners are another problem entirely.

I'll work on some workarounds.
There are compiled binaries included in the zip files. TwainSvr.exe in the server zip, and TwainClient.exe in the client zip. No need to compile anything.

They're also 10 years old, so it would be interesting to see if they work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.