Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

what could reset my cookies without my knowledge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

I was using my computer as usual (at home with my own wifi), lost signal for a few seconds then it came back. All good EXCEPT all my cookies had been deleted! I have not put any settings to automatically delete cookies (like when I close a browser - but in this case the browser wasn't closed). Have never seen anything like this - any insigts?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Some corruption in the cookie jar may have caused this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much - is there anything I can do to prevent this (altho it's only happened this one time in many years) - my wifi was disconnected at the same time (but reconnected itself) - don't know if this was cause, effect or????
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:17 am

What is your evidence that all your cookies were deleted? Why did you "lose signal", ie did the router reset or something else? What browser do you use?

If your evidence of cookie deletion is that you were logged out of some websites or such then there may be other explanations such as the website using session IDs or IP addresses which could have changed if the router reset.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
As Astaroth is suggestion, I too am wondering if you have an XY Problem. That is you observe X, you assume it was caused by Y, and are asking about Y. In your case, your Y is concluding that your cookies have been deleted. But there could be a Z that you're missing.
So when you lost your signal - was that your laptop disconnecting from WiFi, or your ISP dropping connection for a bit?
Which browser are you using? Did you close it between your disconnect and reconnect? Close and/or open tabs?
What's telling you that your cookies have been deleted? Logged out, shopping carts emptied, preferences reset, .... ?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Basic info Win 10 laptop chrome browser with about 10 windows opened

wifi signal disconnected briefly (don't know why), then reconnected itself. [separately I have reset my router and modem -comcast at other times for other reasons without any effect]. I then found out I was logged out of all the websites I had been logged in to AND every other website I've used since required me to login again (financial websites, hotmail, ft, local newspaper, airline, hotel, etc)

First I thought it might have something to do with the wifi provider problem I've been having with short intermittent breaks in the connection between my modem and their server (which has been going on for months) but then I couldn't figure out why this would effect the cookies on my laptop - hence the question.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:33 pm

Chrome sometimes will puke and corrupt cookies if you're running a large # of tabs or leave it open for an extended period of time (weeks). I see it happen occasionally on mine and that's when I know it's time to close down a few tabs & windows, close Chrome out entirely, and open it up again.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - I'm mostly trying to figure out what happened so I can prevent it happening again. It's a pain to go to a site I haven't used for a while and find out I have to login again (esp b/c all the logins are different )
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Thanks - I'm mostly trying to figure out what happened so I can prevent it happening again. It's a pain to go to a site I haven't used for a while and find out I have to login again (esp b/c all the logins are different )
LastPass, or equivalent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.