Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for free programs to remove adware

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Suggestions for free programs to remove adware

Looking for a free program that I can run to remove adware and speed up my browsing on my laptop. There used to be some good tools you could download and run a few years ago, but not sure which one to trust nowadays. Thoughts?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I don't know if there are other better things these days, but I still have spybot and ad-aware on my personal laptop, which i've used for over a decade, probably.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is my go-to.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:37 am

I use MalwareBytes too, but it rarely finds anything on my computers. I installed AdBlockPlus addons for all my browsers and it speeds up browsing without any of the ads displayed. It helps with avoiding malware too because if there is nothing on your screen you can't accidentally click any bad links.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've found uBlock Origin to be faster than ....... Plus. uBlock also doesn't let advertisers buy their way past the ad blocking.

Twitter's very own @swiftOnSecurity recommend uBlock.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I've found uBlock Origin to be faster than ....... Plus. uBlock also doesn't let advertisers buy their way past the ad blocking.

Twitter's very own @swiftOnSecurity recommend uBlock.
Thanks. I may give it a try, but so far ABP seems to work great. Does uBlock also blocks commercials from streaming video like Youtube, CBS and CW? That's one thing I like about ABP is that I don't have to watch commercials.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Privoxy is a 'techie' option.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
One issue with ABP and ....... is too many sites block use while using the ad blockers that I end up needing to pause way too often.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:09 pm

I use uBlock as well, It does not block the ads from youtube. However, that said, I'm willing to allow for some advertising. The content creators do need to make some form of income. Completely blocking all ad revenue means they have less incentive to provide new content. I just hate the pop-ups and pop-unders and most auto-play type advertising (like those high-lighted words that pop up a commercial). If I could get around those, I'd be happy with banners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.