Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Alternative PPTP Client for Windows

Old Dec 28, 17, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm looking for an alternative to Windows 10's integrated PPTP client. I'm not interested in switching to another VPN medium, nor am I interested in tweaking the Windows integrated client. I'd really appreciate it if someone can steer me towards an alternative client. It doesn't have to be free.

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 17, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just did a cursory look around and it really doesn't seem like one exists. What's wrong with the built in client?
Old Dec 28, 17, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
I just did a cursory look around and it really doesn't seem like one exists. What's wrong with the built in client?
Long story but, bottom line, it's not working properly with my new router.
Old Dec 28, 17, 4:05 pm

Programs: CX, DL, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
Long story but, bottom line, it's not working properly with my new router.
That would probably suggest an issue with the router or configuration. Make sure encryption is enabled or toggle some settings on your router. Also can you try connecting from another device eg. phone? Have you checked for router firmware updates?
Old Dec 28, 17, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eyeballer View Post
That would probably suggest an issue with the router or configuration. Make sure encryption is enabled or toggle some settings on your router. Also can you try connecting from another device eg. phone? Have you checked for router firmware updates?
The applications to which I have put this router are far too complicated to explain and I'm really not looking for alternative solutions. There are multiple VPN connections involved, one LAN-to-LAN and the others computer-to-LAN, SIP connections to a PBX involving a remote phone that has to connect through the client VPN router that, in turn, is a client on another LAN over which I have no control. The new router, along with the client router, was purchased specifically because it could (in theory) support the configuration I have to use. I've got the client router and phone working just fine, but limitations in both the Windows VPN pptp client and the new router are problematic, which is why I'm looking for an alternative PPTP client for the computers that have to connect. Though I'm hardly an IT professional, I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing, so it's not just a question of changing some settings on the new router.

Edited to add:

I've been fooling around with this for a couple of weeks (as time at my office allows). I've managed to get most everything I need working, with the primary exception of needing to supply a hard-coded DNS IP address for the Windows PPTP client as a consequence of what both the router and the Windows client allow to be configured so that the client computer doesn't use the router's gateway and internet connection. If I have to live with that, I will, but one of the client computers is headless and configured to automatically connect via VPN, so fiddling with the client is not really an option unless either I go there or I talk the person who uses it (a Luddite ) through hooking up a keyboard and monitor and then accessing the VPN adapter settings to hard-code a DNS address, something I'd really like to avoid.

Last edited by PTravel; Dec 28, 17 at 7:02 pm
Old Dec 28, 17, 7:28 pm

Programs: CX, DL, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
The applications to which I have put this router are far too complicated to explain and I'm really not looking for alternative solutions. There are multiple VPN connections involved, one LAN-to-LAN and the others computer-to-LAN, SIP connections to a PBX involving a remote phone that has to connect through the client VPN router that, in turn, is a client on another LAN over which I have no control. The new router, along with the client router, was purchased specifically because it could (in theory) support the configuration I have to use. I've got the client router and phone working just fine, but limitations in both the Windows VPN pptp client and the new router are problematic, which is why I'm looking for an alternative PPTP client for the computers that have to connect. Though I'm hardly an IT professional, I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing, so it's not just a question of changing some settings on the new router.

Edited to add:

I've been fooling around with this for a couple of weeks (as time at my office allows). I've managed to get most everything I need working, with the primary exception of needing to supply a hard-coded DNS IP address for the Windows PPTP client as a consequence of what both the router and the Windows client allow to be configured so that the client computer doesn't use the router's gateway and internet connection. If I have to live with that, I will, but one of the client computers is headless and configured to automatically connect via VPN, so fiddling with the client is not really an option unless either I go there or I talk the person who uses it (a Luddite ) through hooking up a keyboard and monitor and then accessing the VPN adapter settings to hard-code a DNS address, something I'd really like to avoid.
Definitely seems complex

I've been searching around a bit and came across:
https://www.softether.org/
https://www.shrew.net/download

Did you try those?
Old Dec 28, 17, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eyeballer View Post
Definitely seems complex

I've been searching around a bit and came across:
https://www.softether.org/
https://www.shrew.net/download

Did you try those?
I looked at them. Softether is a VPN server and Shrew is an IPsec client, not a PPTP client.
Old Dec 29, 17, 8:52 am

You have to consider that whatever app you will use, the built-in PPTP client will always be used in the background, all that other clients might be able to do is fancy stuff like manually add routes (windows client only have a route-all-traffic or route-no-traffic except the local subnet you get from the router), maybe change your DNS servers etc.

I know you are not keen on switching to openvpn, but it has a lot more flexibility when it comes to fine tuning your configuration to make complicated setups work
Old Dec 29, 17, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I understand you correctly, you're now just trying to figure out how to assign a DNS server to a specific VPN client? Assuming you're still using DD-WRT's VPN server, I believe the actual PPTP daemon it uses is called PoPToP. You could check its manual to see if there is an option you can set to do what you want.

https://www.systutorials.com/docs/li.../5-pptpd.conf/
https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/8-pptpd/

I just gave it a once-over and didn't see anything. Looks like you're running up against the limitations of the technology you've chosen. I agree it's time for a change. I'd strongly suggest the EdgeRouter X, which supports a mix of PPTP if you need it, as well as IPSec and OpenVPN in a $49 package. Happy to help configure that if you decide to go down that road.
Old Dec 29, 17, 10:34 am

What problems are you encountering and what router(s) are you using?

I know certain routers have crippled PPTP in recent versions to encourage people to use other, more modern protocols. I like PPTP because of its simplicity, whereas I've had issues getting other protocols to work as well as PPTP does.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: