Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help With A VPN

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by PTravel
That's exactly what I use VPN for (along with VNC). I strongly suggest you look at dd-wrt. The odds are your existing router can be flashed with dd-wrt, the process is easy, and configuration is straight forward. Best of all, dd-wrt is free.
I'll take a look. Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's exactly what I use VPN for (along with VNC). I strongly suggest you look at dd-wrt. The odds are your existing router can be flashed with dd-wrt, the process is easy, and configuration is straight forward. Best of all, dd-wrt is free.
The caveat is that, since it seems the project is dead, it hasn't been getting security updates in a while.

Ubiquiti is new name for me. I'll check it out. I've been using dd-wrt for years because it simply works and works well. Right now, I have no reason to change, but I will check out Ubiquiti.
They focus on WISP and enterprise markets and price about 80% less than the equivalent equipment from Cisco or Juniper. The Unifi line of devices can all be managed from the same controller and are pretty slick.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The caveat is that, since it seems the project is dead, it hasn't been getting security updates in a while.
As a home user, I'm comfortable with the level of security provided at the LAN-connected machine level. I've had an internet-connected LAN since I can remember and have never had any security issues at the router level. I suppose, if I get paranoid, I can put a hardware firewall in front of the router.

They focus on WISP and enterprise markets and price about 80% less than the equivalent equipment from Cisco or Juniper. The Unifi line of devices can all be managed from the same controller and are pretty slick.
The prices were far lower than I first anticipated. I have to say, though, that from a home user perspective I absolutely despise Cisco (I have no experience with Juniper). I'm sure Cisco products make IT departments who must maintain mission-critical operations reasonably happy. However, I don't like, at all, the user-level comprises that Cisco forces. I can't tell from my quick scan of the Unifi whether these products are similarly over-bearing. They don't appear to be, but I'll look further.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:44 am

As a home user, I'm comfortable with the level of security provided at the LAN-connected machine level. I've had an internet-connected LAN since I can remember and have never had any security issues at the router level. I suppose, if I get paranoid, I can put a hardware firewall in front of the router.

The prices were far lower than I first anticipated. I have to say, though, that from a home user perspective I absolutely despise Cisco (I have no experience with Juniper). I'm sure Cisco products make IT departments who must maintain mission-critical operations reasonably happy. However, I don't like, at all, the user-level comprises that Cisco forces. I can't tell from my quick scan of the Unifi whether these products are similarly over-bearing. They don't appear to be, but I'll look further.
I think it's more of a question about how secure the tunnel is from your remote workstation (or whatever platform) to the WAN side of your router.

Or, perhaps more importantly, the VPN service in general. I don't think you want unpatched exploits that allow unauthorized users to annex themselves to your LAN. Then machines on your network become much easier to break into.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb9522
. I don't think you want unpatched exploits that allow unauthorized users to annex themselves to your LAN. Then machines on your network become much easier to break into.
This is more what I was getting at.

You can demo the Unifi controller at demo.ubnt.com.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's more of a question about how secure the tunnel is from your remote workstation (or whatever platform) to the WAN side of your router.

Or, perhaps more importantly, the VPN service in general. I don't think you want unpatched exploits that allow unauthorized users to annex themselves to your LAN. Then machines on your network become much easier to break into.
I understand that. All of the machines on my LAN, both Windows and Linux, run firewalls and anti-malware software, and I'm less concerned about things like the ROKUs. As has been proven repeatedly, anyone who is really determined and skilled enough can hack into any system. If someone really wants into my dinky home system, they'll get in, but they're going to be very disappointed once they get there. My main concern is malware that converts my computers into zombies. That's never happened and, frankly, if it did happen, it would be because my wife opened something she shouldn't have, and not from someone hacking my VPN router.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Thanks for the advice on the home VPN. I'll have to make that a weekend project.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I want to add a VPN appliance to my home network so that I can tunnel in while on the road. I have some file servers etc. on my LAN that would be useful to access securely. I'm not comfortable opening these up to the WAN with FTP or the like.

Plus I've been considering getting PS Vue. It has some restrictions about needing to be on your home network both periodically and to access RSNs.
Unfortunately, many ISPs do not permit this unless you pay for business service.

I know that it would be completely impossible for me without some third party company providing an intermediate to make it work. It's not merely against their terms of service (home users shall not run servers) but you simply can't reach 10.x.x.x addresses from outside.

Simple test: Open a command prompt and type: "tracert www.google.com" (without the quotes). Look to the right. You may get 4 numbers, you may get a name followed by 4 numbers in brackets. Chances are the first line will be 192.168.x.x. If the second is 10.x.x.x your system is unreachable from outside.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Unfortunately, many ISPs do not permit this unless you pay for business service.

I know that it would be completely impossible for me without some third party company providing an intermediate to make it work. It's not merely against their terms of service (home users shall not run servers) but you simply can't reach 10.x.x.x addresses from outside.
I don't know the technical details but I have a home server powered by Netgear that I am able to access from anywhere.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I don't know the technical details but I have a home server powered by Netgear that I am able to access from anywhere.
Netgear very well might be the third party allowing the connection. I have a NAS box here that I could configure for remote access if I chose to even though I have a 10.x.x.x address. The makers of the box provide the intermediate to allow the link.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Simple test: Open a command prompt and type: "tracert.
You just outed yourself as a windows user...
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
You just outed yourself as a windows user...
I'll out myself too. A co-worker is out dealing with a family matter and he is the only one of us that uses a Mac. I was trying to do something for him and hated using it. You guys are really missing out by not having a taskbar. Apple users must not switch between programs or different screens very often.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
You guys are really missing out by not having a taskbar. Apple users must not switch between programs or different screens very often.
I'm not an Apple user either.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:46 pm

Simple test: Open a command prompt and type: "tracert www.google.com" (without the quotes). Look to the right. You may get 4 numbers, you may get a name followed by 4 numbers in brackets. Chances are the first line will be 192.168.x.x. If the second is 10.x.x.x your system is unreachable from outside.
This does not make any sense. I used the built in Windows PPTP service on a home server for many years.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I'll out myself too. A co-worker is out dealing with a family matter and he is the only one of us that uses a Mac. I was trying to do something for him and hated using it. You guys are really missing out by not having a taskbar. Apple users must not switch between programs or different screens very often.
OT: cmd+tab, much!? Taskbars are pointless if you're using keyboard combos anyway. I never use the dock on Macs or the taskbar on Windows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.