Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Ipad or Surface Pad to Get for Netflicks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Which Ipad or Surface Pad to Get for Netflicks

Hi

Question for all the super techies out there.

I travel a lot and end up spending 30% of the year in hotels during travel for meetings. I enjoy watching Netflicks but am unsure what ipad or surface pad to get where it is easy to download and watch a series without needing WIFI connections and internet access, especially on flights where I fly Malaysia Airlines and much of the IFE content are repeats and not worth the time watching.

Would anyone have any input on this and does the amount of space needed on an IPAD type device make a difference?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The iPads tend to be more "universal" in terms of being able to find chargers and AV hookups.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WIRunner
The iPads tend to be more "universal" in terms of being able to find chargers and AV hookups.
Can we download netflicks shows to the ipad when in a WIFI zone? To watch on flights without WIFI coverage?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Platinum
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816

I'd get whatever flavor your phone is (Apple or Android). More memory, more shows.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolf72
Can we download netflicks shows to the ipad when in a WIFI zone? To watch on flights without WIFI coverage?
It will all depend if your country is able to do that or not. I've done that plenty of times on my iPad. YOu're generally allowed only 2 episodes of each show. YouTube Red is another great option, you'd be able to download videos from YouTube. I do that with a lot of lectures.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It will all depend if your country is able to do that or not. I've done that plenty of times on my iPad. YOu're generally allowed only 2 episodes of each show. YouTube Red is another great option, you'd be able to download videos from YouTube. I do that with a lot of lectures.
Cool.

What do you think about this as an alternative to the more expensive IPAD and Surface?

Link: http://h20386.www2.hp.com/MalaysiaSt...FRQNaAodaKQCSg
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cool.

What do you think about this as an alternative to the more expensive IPAD and Surface?

Link: http://h20386.www2.hp.com/MalaysiaSt...FRQNaAodaKQCSg
I'm personally pretty entrenched in the Apple ecosystem. I haven't been fond of Windows tablets in general, if I was to replace my current iPad I would end up with either an iPad Pro (the smaller one) or a Galaxy Tab of some sort.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:56 am

YOu're generally allowed only 2 episodes of each show. .
I'd complain to someone, dude... I'm downloading the entire season of Ozark before tomorrow's flight right now. Have done that plenty of times in the past with series like House of Cards, Better Call Saul, etc.

Heck - just downloaded 15 episodes of "Scaredy Squirrel" so the kids will be quiet in the backseat on the way to their Aunt's last weekend.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
So is this the only device you'll carry? Is it just for Netflix or do you need it to do other stuff as well? Do you have a screen size preference?

If you're just doing Netflix anything with an SD card slot should work fine. Both the BN Nook and Kindle Fire are about 1/6th the cost of the iPad or surface. Both have SD card slots so you can upgrade to 128 GB of storage for $45. Then just point your netflix app at the SD card and you're all set.

Between those two I'd go for the Nook over the Kindle. They're similar in features and price, but you get the entire Google ecosystem with the Nook, whereas the Kindle limits you to Amazon unless you go through the trouble of sideloading some Android components to make the Google software work.

I see from your location you're in Brunei. I'm not sure how prices or availability might differ from what I'm seeing to what you're seeing, but in any case I'd be looking at a lower cost device - assuming you're looking for something just for Netflix in hotels and have a more powerful device for whatever work you'll be needing to do.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:00 am

Get an Android tablet that could use a micro SD card. Netflix app on android lets you download movies to the SD card.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boogie711
I'd complain to someone, dude... I'm downloading the entire season of Ozark before tomorrow's flight right now. Have done that plenty of times in the past with series like House of Cards, Better Call Saul, etc.

Heck - just downloaded 15 episodes of "Scaredy Squirrel" so the kids will be quiet in the backseat on the way to their Aunt's last weekend.
I've only downloaded Star Trek episodes, two max per series at one time.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:12 am

I've only downloaded Star Trek episodes, two max per series at one time.
It's not because you only have enough internal memory to hold 2 episodes?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
It's not because you only have enough internal memory to hold 2 episodes?
I can download 2 each of the four series. I'll try again this afternoon, maybe something has changed. I usually just use YouTube red now and load up with royal institute lectures.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I can download 2 each of the four series. I'll try again this afternoon, maybe something has changed. I usually just use YouTube red now and load up with royal institute lectures.
What is the difference between the normal youtube and youtube red???
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:09 am

What is the difference between the normal youtube and youtube red???
ability to save videos offline to your device

it also removes ads and you can save music offline

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.