Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Using Google Hangouts

Using Google Hangouts

Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Using Google Hangouts

Travelling to Australia for 2 weeks. I downloaded google hangouts and have some confusion about using it in foreign countries:

1) Can I use to call from Australia to US and what is the charge?
2) Can someone call me on the number from the US and what is the charge?
3) Can I use it within Australia to make and receive calls?

Thanks
I have read much about this online and so far the only thing that seems definite is I can use it for calling Australia from the IUS at 1 cent a minute to landlines.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 from Verizon.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:01 am

1. Calls to the USA and Canada from anywhere are free.
2. & 3. Downloading Hangouts doesn't give you a phone number. You'll have to sign up for Google Voice (free) if you want one. If you set it up, it's free to pick up any calls wherever you are.

You can make calls in Australia just as you would stateside, but you'd be charged at whatever the applicable per-minute rate is if you're calling a non-US/CA #. Receiving calls is free but if your caller is from Australia, they'd be stuck with paying long distance fees to your US number.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I did download google voice, so I have a google voice number. If I give that phone number to people in the US then they can call me for free and I can use that number to call people in the US for free?

To make calls and receive calls within Australia to/from Australia numbers I will need to pay?

Is that correct
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:32 pm

You will need access to wifi or another data source to make the calls back to the US.

My AT&T phone has wifi calling enabled so I have made calls using wifi to a US number without incurring international roaming charges.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holocker
Travelling to Australia for 2 weeks. I downloaded google hangouts and have some confusion about using it in foreign countries:
holocker other associated thread on this topic http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...australia.html
OP is making this harder than it is.
1000's of visitors to Aussie get a local SIM card & phone plan
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...australia.html
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
There is also an app called hangouts dialer:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tsdialer&hl=en

I like the keypad for just dialing a number, that is not in an address book/contacts.
Tod E Tosser likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:26 am

Yes, to the first part of your questions.

To call Australia, you will pay. But its still free to receive calls from any number. The caller will bear the cost of the call.

Originally Posted by holocker
I did download google voice, so I have a google voice number. If I give that phone number to people in the US then they can call me for free and I can use that number to call people in the US for free?

To make calls and receive calls within Australia to/from Australia numbers I will need to pay?

Is that correct

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.