Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for SIM card for use in Switzerland, France, Italy, and Germany?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, UA, Marriott

Hello,

I read through the recent posts in the France, Switzerland, and Germany prepaid SIM threads and the Roam Like At Home (RLAH) thread but didn't find an answer. Please move my question if this is not the correct location....

I will be starting a trip in Basel, Switzerland later this year and will be visiting Switzerland, France, Italy, and Germany. With RLAH, will I be able to purchase a SIM upon arrival and use the plan throughout the four countries we visit? It seems like that will be the case but I wonder if there are any nuances I missed.

Assuming I can use the same plan for the entire trip, any recommendations about preferred vendors/networks? Starting in Basel I can easily choose from network operators in France, Germany, and Switzerland. In the past, I tended to use MVNOs on O2 or Telekom in Germany or Orange in France or Switzerland (although their service in Basel a few years ago was pretty bad).

I will be using an iPhone 6S (Verizon) and will be following a route roughly along the lines of Basel -> Gruyere -> Jura -> Lyon -> Annecy -> Aosta -> Kastelruth -> Schonau -> Munich.

Any pointers on operators to avoid or ones to consider are greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:01 pm

Starting tomorrow (June 15th 2017), roaming fees in the European Union are forbidden as long as it's fair use. Switzerland is not part of the European Union, but e.g. Deutsche Telekom offers plans which doesn't have roaming fees for Switzerland, see this page.

How much data are you going to use?

O2's network is sometimes slowed down by heavy traffic. Resellers might not offer you full speed (LTE) or worse connectivity (my experience in the Vodafone network).
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SchokoLate
Starting tomorrow (June 15th 2017), roaming fees in the European Union are forbidden as long as it's fair use. Switzerland is not part of the European Union, but e.g. Deutsche Telekom offers plans which doesn't have roaming fees for Switzerland, see this page.

How much data are you going to use?

O2's network is sometimes slowed down by heavy traffic. Resellers might not offer you full speed (LTE) or worse connectivity (my experience in the Vodafone network).
Heads up, but some countries' mobile phone companies are starting to sell plans/SIMs for domestic use only and charging a premium in price over those most basic of plans if wanting roaming capability. I've started to see this in Denmark already, and I'm expecting this to spread fast.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:29 pm

Yes, it has also started in Germany. Be aware if they want to sell you something "National", you are more likely to encounter it from resellers.

Also check out French and Austrian carriers, these usually offer more data for the same price (the French ones more than Austrians the last time I cared about the topic).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.