Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIM card for occasional foreign use

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

SIM card for occasional foreign use

I need a SIM card just to be able to use services like Uber, Grab, Lyft etc. in various places such as SE Asia, Australia, India, Egypt & Central Europe. I do not need it to make calls or send/receive SMS messages.

In some places I have managed to get by using local pre-paid SIM cards, but in many others this is not feasible because of the activation time needed and/or local rules (e.g. India, which requires complex ID proof).

Is there any pre-paid SIM card that I can buy in the US or Australia which I can use for this purpose and which can be topped up online as and when needed, or cheap enough to be simply discarded?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:05 pm

Did you look in the 'Sticky' ?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Yes, I did but did not find anythin suitable. I read about GoLocalMe, which sounds like a possible solution; but the device cost (US$139+) is a tad too high for me.

I was thinking of something like a Google FI SIM, that I could fire up for occasional use.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:36 pm

Not sure that Fi will fit your needs as you can only pause service for 3 months and I think that you are limited to doing that twice in a year (???): https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6079346?hl=en

In the past I've had great experience with Piranha Mobile: https://piranha-mobile.com/
Old May 1, 2017, 9:05 pm

If these occasional uses are of short durations, you may be adequately served by looking at international roaming packages from providers in your home country. Many of those I've come across charges on a per-day basis and only if you use it.

In the US, for instance, T-mobile One plan includes free data roaming to 140+ countries including India, Egypt, Australia, Czech Republic, and Thailand (those are what I checked). Intra-EU speaking, all roaming fees by EU providers should be abolished starting this June.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by SBR249
If these occasional uses are of short durations, you may be adequately served by looking at international roaming packages from providers in your home country. Many of those I've come across charges on a per-day basis and only if you use it.

In the US, for instance, T-mobile One plan includes free data roaming to 140+ countries including India, Egypt, Australia, Czech Republic, and Thailand (those are what I checked). Intra-EU speaking, all roaming fees by EU providers should be abolished starting this June.
Just watch out after BREXIT when the UK won't technically be bound by these rules. We may very well keep the roaming charges ban but I wouldn't put it past the carriers to do something sneaky if it isn't still required by law.

Last edited by Jimmie76; May 2, 2017 at 5:18 pm
Old May 2, 2017, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Just watch out after BREXIT when the UK won't technically be bound by these rules. We may very well keep the roaming charges ban but I wouldn't put it past the carriers to do something sneaky if it isn't still required by law.
Well that's something to worry about after March 2019. So that's almost 2 years of hassle free roaming!
Old May 3, 2017, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Well that's something to worry about after March 2019. So that's almost 2 years of hassle free roaming!
True but still something to keep an eye on.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:48 am

I use 2 different roaming services, KeepGo and just recently Flexiroam X. They both have data only service that is good for a year from date of purchase. KeepGo charges $99 for 3Gb and Flexiroam $80 with an annual $9.95 plan renewal for 3Gb also. I just left Portugal and got good service from both. Generally 10-15Mbps downloads, with multiple carriers usually available. Both plans Allow for old data balances to carry over to new purchases, so you don't have to "Use It Or Lose It". I used KeepGo in Australia, Bali & Singapore last fall and it worked fine from day one. Check both websites to see all the countries covered and other details that may be pertinent to your needs, but they are an easy way to have trouble free data available in most commonly visited locations.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Poster

If these occasional uses are of short durations, you may be adequately served by looking at international roaming packages from providers in your home country....In the US, for instance, T-mobile One plan includes free data roaming to 140+ countries....
T-Mobile charges around $35-60 for their lowest monthly plan; I get by with a legacy prepaid plan that costs only $0.1 per minute and my monthly costs rarely exceed $5! So buying this monthly plan to get a few minutes of usage overseas is a bad deal in my book

Originally Posted by draver
I use 2 different roaming services, KeepGo and just recently Flexiroam X. They both have data only service that is good for a year from date of purchase..s.
Thanks! Much appreciated.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
T-Mobile charges around $35-60 for their lowest monthly plan; I get by with a legacy prepaid plan that costs only $0.1 per minute and my monthly costs rarely exceed $5! So buying this monthly plan to get a few minutes of usage overseas is a bad deal in my book
I don't mean to imply that you should switch your plan altogether. Merely that you should look into what roaming options your home carrier provides. The T-Mobile one is merely an example of something that is already included in many people's plans. But it sounds like maybe a dedicated global provider may be a better option for you considering your legacy prepaid plan.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by puchong
Yes, I did but did not find anythin suitable. I read about GoLocalMe, which sounds like a possible solution; but the device cost (US$139+) is a tad too high for me.

I was thinking of something like a Google FI SIM, that I could fire up for occasional use.
Look at the Piranha or Toggle plans discussed on FT. I have used both, they both were decent, but just decided to go with Fi since it was easier.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by squawk1200
In the past I've had great experience with Piranha Mobile: https://piranha-mobile.com/
+1 Piranha has worked well for me in many different EU countries.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:02 pm

To reiterate though, after June 15, literally any EU-issued sim card that is capable of roaming will work well in any EU country for no extra charge. If EU countries are where you will most frequently be I would not bother getting something like a Piranha card when there are a lot better deals to be found.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Sign up for Three (3) Feel at Home and get 200MB free per month of data in these countries. That's what I do and it is great for Uber, I don't do social media so never ever blow my 200MB. And, you can order as many of the cards as you like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.