Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refurbished Note 7's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Refurbished Note 7's

Last month a report from South Korea claimed that Samsung was getting ready to offer refurbished Galaxy Note 7 units this summer, following last year's recalls.

Today this has been confirmed by the company itself, through a news release that focuses on how it's going to "recycle" the giant pile of returned Note 7 units that it has in its possession.
Then a more recent statement from Samsung says this:

The objective of introducing refurbished devices is solely to reduce and minimize any environmental impact. The product details including the name, technical specification and price range will be announced when the device is available. Samsung will not be offering refurbished Galaxy Note 7 devices for rent or sale in the US.
Source: GSMArena

Since the refurbished units won't be available in the US, anyone from outside the US planning to pick one up? I really liked the design of the Note 7, and if they release it in Pakistan, I'm probably going to get one since I really wanted the original Note 7 as an upgrade from my S7 edge with a cracked display.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by murtaza12; Mar 27, 2017 at 11:52 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If you don't mind an intense fire in your pants pocket, go for it.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Um these will be banned on flights still I guess. Useless?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
If you don't mind an intense fire in your pants pocket, go for it.
I was under the impression the fires only happened while the device was under heavy load or on charge, not idling.
On a more serious note though, they plan to fit it with a smaller battery, not only in terms of capacity, but the physical size of the battery will be smaller as well, shouldn't burst into flames then.

Originally Posted by chx1975
Um these will be banned on flights still I guess. Useless?
I believe they've thought of this, maybe launch it with a different name?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by murtaza12
I was under the impression the fires only happened while the device was under heavy load or on charge, not idling.
On a more serious note though, they plan to fit it with a smaller battery, not only in terms of capacity, but the physical size of the battery will be smaller as well, shouldn't burst into flames then.

Maybe the Galaxy Handwarmer?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers

I wouldn't risk it. They had two tries with this phone, and both tries caught fire.

I'm not sure of the exact circumstances of each fire, but I got the impression they could happen with the phone not under any special stress or charging.

Each of us has his own risk tolerance, so YMMV.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
This seems like a stupid idea for Samsung. Shortsighted.

Assuming that Samsung has found the problem and addressed it (and I assume that they have) literally every device ever made has a few units that will burn up, usually from user error. When one of these inevitably does, it will bring the whole debacle back to the front page for Samsung. They need to just write off the loss and move on.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:56 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy

Assuming that Samsung has found the problem and addressed it (and I assume that they have) literally every device ever made has a few units that will burn up, usually from user error. When one of these inevitably does, it will bring the whole debacle back to the front page for Samsung. They need to just write off the loss and move on.
Exactly.. one fire will completely shoot their credibility.. they did a good job being open with their investigation (after the two failed recalls) which I think did garner them some degree of trust in the public eyes... However, if a refurb note 7 catches fire it'll be a huge setback....

FDW
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Exactly.. one fire will completely shoot their credibility.. they did a good job being open with their investigation (after the two failed recalls) which I think did garner them some degree of trust in the public eyes... However, if a refurb note 7 catches fire it'll be a huge setback....

FDW
And you know a few will. There are always a few. This will blow up in their faces (no pun intended! ). All of the goodwill that they've painstakingly built since then will be gone. They can't possibly make enough back to make that worthwhile.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Maybe the Galaxy Handwarmer?
The Note 7 jokes will never end.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I wouldn't risk it. They had two tries with this phone, and both tries caught fire.
I'm not sure of the exact circumstances of each fire, but I got the impression they could happen with the phone not under any special stress or charging.

Each of us has his own risk tolerance, so YMMV.
The gap between the battery itself and the back cover of the phone, the heat caused the battery to expand and make contact with the back cover, which then caused it to burst.
The heat usually was produced by very heavy usage or while the device was charging.

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy

It will, and I don't deny that it will, however people need to understand the cause for the previous fires/explosions, many people (mainly iSheep), will sit there and mock, however most of them don't even know the real cause.
Explosions/fires can happen with any phone, a few even happened with the iPhone 7 / 7 Plus recently. They can happen due to a number of reasons, which I won't write because explaining each one will take forever.

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
FDW
And it's disappointing that it's going to be like that. I think the phone had great potential, and can be redeemed if this whole refurb program is pulled off correctly.
After all they're only doing it since disposing of the returned / un-exploded units will be a huge loss to them.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will, and I don't deny that it will, however people need to understand the cause for the previous fires/explosions, many people (mainly iSheep), will sit there and mock, however most of them don't even know the real cause.
Explosions/fires can happen with any phone, a few even happened with the iPhone 7 / 7 Plus recently. They can happen due to a number of reasons, which I won't write because explaining each one will take forever.
I'm not mocking. I like Samsung, and loved the Note 7 for the brief time I owned them. I also understand the cause of the Note 7 fires. That's not going to stop some sensationalist prick from destroying Samsung's freshly rebuilt goodwill when one of these refurbs inevitably burns.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:38 pm

I don't think I would hesitate to use a refurbished Note 7. Was there even a confirmed number of incidents compared to how many devices sold/were in use? I was under the impression it was an incredibly small number.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by el aye
I don't think I would hesitate to use a refurbished Note 7. Was there even a confirmed number of incidents compared to how many devices sold/were in use? I was under the impression it was an incredibly small number.
Yes, only a few actually burst into flames, the others were returned, hence the refurbishment program, they can't dispose of all those still working models, so might as well put them to use.

I am very open to the idea, and would definitely buy one if they're launched where I live.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: AY+
We can "thank" Greenpeace for this idea
They gave the idea to Samsung that its better for the world to sell those again than to scrap it.

http://www.greenpeace.org/internatio...---Greenpeace/
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by el aye
Yes, only a few actually burst into flames, the others were returned, hence the refurbishment program, they can't dispose of all those still working models, so might as well put them to use.

I am very open to the idea, and would definitely buy one if they're launched where I live.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't fear the devices either. My concern is for Samsung's image, which they've worked very hard to repair in the last 6 months. We all know image isn't often based in reality. One burning refurb Note 7 will put them right back where they were.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.