Community
Wiki Posts
Search

baseball cap/hidden cam - opinions sought

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:09 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
baseball cap/hidden cam - opinions sought

I want to do some discreet filming of conversations, street scenes, etc, and am thinking about getting a baseball cap with a pinhole camera for video/stills.

There are literally hundreds out there, ranging from $50-$500... can anyone share any experience/opinions as to which to go for?

I don't need or expect massively high quality, and therefore am not that worried about memory (most use micro-SD anyway); however, I'd ideally like a replacable battery so I can take a spare with me, as I would likely be out all day with no opportunity to recharge. Also, some mechanic to discreetly start/stop filming would be very useful. I don't need a screen to review footage, I'd be videoing people as I talk to them, for review much later.

Anyone?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:51 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
My first stop would be an attorney to find out exactly what the legalities are where you are and your intentions in such recording.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UK probably has different laws on the expectation of privacy than the US, so I'd echo the "get legal advice" advice.

That said, I didn't know this was a thing!

Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Remember, not just an attorney in the UK where you happen to live, but an attorney licensed in each location where you intend to secretly record audio and video.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:55 pm

every tourist in the world now seems to have a knock-off Go Pro or a selfie stick ,

I think the real problem is hiding the camera , and some places could get you beaten up !
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
every tourist in the world now seems to have a knock-off Go Pro or a selfie stick ,

I think the real problem is hiding the camera , and some places could get you beaten up !
"Talk into the hat, please!"
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Guys,

I'd be recording on the street, in public places, where there is no 'expectation of privacy'. In addition, I'm going to very non-lawyered-up places.

The 'not getting beaten up' bit is more relevant here - the people do/may have cultural hesitation in being filmed, so just trying to get natural reactions, and I'll take my chances on the getting beaten up.

So please - no comments on legality/morality, just insight into the technology.

Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:58 am

Does that sound really sleazy to anyone else?

(I know you demanded no comments on morality, but you aren't going to ask folks if you can film them so...it seemed fair to ignore that...)
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:35 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Let's not venture into Bad Omni territory. It would be reasonable to discuss the legalities of this type of filming, but try not to stray into ethical or moral considerations.

The OP is a longtime respected FT member. Why don't we just assume he'll make the appropriate decisions after gaining info on the hardware and legalities.

Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:53 am

Do they have spyshops in UK? Nannycam shops? There are so many options.. pen, watch, coat button, glasses, neck tie, etc...

If you just want to film people on the street.. just use smartphone.. they will just think you are catching pokeman to taking a selfie.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Please... just help with the tech

Yes, there are spy shops in the UK, but not any anywhere near where I am, and I won't be going near any. Therefore this is going to be an online purchase.

I will be filming in the street/in markets... more like 'secret shopping' than anything sleazy, but in a very informal atmosphere where a tie/briefcase would be exceptionally out of place. I found some nifty looking glasses cams, but I already wear prescription lenses and don't have time/resource to swap prescription lenses into spycam glasses -> so baseball cap seems like the best choice.

I have used phone in the past, but honestly it's not possible to film people's natural reaction as you speak to them while holding your phone up at them.

Anyone?

PS longtime okay, but respected? are you sure?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Normally when I am undecided I just go to Amazon, search, pick the spy cam hat with the highest rated feedback that is sold/fulfilled by Amazon (not a seller on Amazon), buy it, test it, send it back if no good.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Normally when I am undecided I just go to Amazon, search, pick the spy cam hat with the highest rated feedback that is sold/fulfilled by Amazon (not a seller on Amazon), buy it, test it, send it back if no good.
In the absence of any FT opinions, I have gone with this option. Won't have time to send it back if no good, sadly, but thanks for the input, Silver Fox.

I know that no-one (else) on FT would ever consider using such a device () so I won't bother posting back with my experiences.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:30 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Possibly too late, but my cousin owns a well-known 'Spy' store in London which probably sells these things - I'd need to message him and ask.

Did you find one, or should I ask him his advice?

M
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Is that the posh one just north of Selfridges? I walk by that all the time and it looks super cool

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.