Anyone use a big smartphone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone use a big smartphone?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I use a Nexus 7 2013 LTE as my main device. Not really aphone.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:00 am

I love big phone, more as a media consumption device than a phone, since I hardly have a need to talk on the cell phone.
My first "phablet" was the Dell Streak and at the time, its 5" screen was huge compared to the rest of the phones out there. I also had the Sony Xperia Z Ultra for a few years, and love its 6.4" screen. My current phone is the Moto X Pure (2015) and at 5.7", but I'm thinking my next phone will be the Huawei Mate 9. Its 5.9" screen in a body that's comparable to regular 5.5" screen phone.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
I use a Nexus 7 2013 LTE as my main device. Not really aphone.
Hi

what model is your Nexus ?

and can it make regular cell phone calls ?
or do they need to be over VOIP like Skype ?

thanks
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
what model is your Nexus ?

and can it make regular cell phone calls ?
or do they need to be over VOIP like Skype ?

thanks
Nexus 7 2013 LTE. deb, if you want the device code name. The cell phone modem is disabled in the radio firmware so yeah, it's Zoiper/Hangouts/Skype to voice call. I rarely voice call. Less than one a day, often less than one a week.

Still no device like it. Fast, reliable, large enough to be usable (as much as a mobile device can be which is not a lot, truth be told -- compared to in browser pages, most apps do not support copy-paste freely).

Last edited by chx1975; Mar 25, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:12 am

I used to do everything on my AT&T 5.5" LG G4 until it went bootloop and I had to send it back to replace motherboard for 2 weeks. So I got an 8" Samsung Tab E from T-mobile for $35 a month 6GB data with Binge On and rollover data. I thought I would just keep it for a month or 2 and then cancel the plan just use the tablet on WiFi. But I love it so much now it has been my main device! I hardly ever even use the G4 anymore.

I stick one of those Ring thing in the back so holding it one hand is no problem. Even though it is only 720p screen, all the streaming shows look really good on it. I was just at my car's dealership doing an oil change and their WiFi kept cutting netflix off. Then I realized that why am I using WiFi when I have unlimited streaming on T-mobile.. so I disconnect WiFi and got perfect streaming and watched 1.5 episodes of Iron Fist while waiting.

I don't use the phone much but I got a Google Voice number and using Google Hangout Dialer on the tablet. I was lucky as I was able to find a Google Voice number that exactly the same as my normal mobile number on the G4 except the area code is different by 1 digit.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
With the new regulations banning tablets and laptops and even cameras in the cabin from certain Middle Eastern airports, I fear this will spread to other flights.

Does anyone use big smartphones? Fit in the pocket? Cumbersome to use as a phone? Still too small to use as a tablet?

I am thinking of changing from a small Android smartphone to a large one in a year or so.
I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 5.7 inch and a Samsung Galaxy J7 2016 5.5 inch having retired my old Note 2.

The US does not seem to specify exact dimensions. The UK explicitly specifies dimensions:
https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...ling-to-the-uk
16cm x 9.3cm x 1.5cm, or 6.3″ x 3.65″ x 0.6″

My Samsung Galaxy J7 has an especially beefy case that I purchased in lieu of buying Square trade extended warranty or carrier insurance and that case is too large. Good thing I'm not going anywhere this applies :-) but if extended to other flights, I'd take the case off temporarily. Note 4 has a Speck Candyshell Grip case which might barely meet the size. Either phone fits in my front pants pocket easily. When I have to wear a suit I put it in an inside coat pocket. No problem using as a phone.

I am used to the size since having a Note 2 before these. I'd love a larger phone but will wait now and see what happens next.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got a 6 incher here, it's use as a phone is a very minimal part of it's duty.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by pinniped
I had a great Ghetto Blaster!! (Is it un-PC to still call them that? ) That sucker could really chew through the D-cells...

The Galaxy S7 is as big as I want to go: in fact, I thought the iPhone 5 was had a nice feel as smartphones go. I'd go even a little smaller if there was a good phone that size with the same performance characteristics as the top flagships. (I guess that might defy the laws of physics...)
Ghetto Blaster

Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I have a 5.7" LG V20, and had a 5.9" Nexus 6 before that. I don't think I'd be happy with a screen smaller than 5.5". My Nexus 6 seemed large when I first got it, but now the smaller phones just look like silly useless toys to me.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I have a 5.7" LG V20, and had a 5.9" Nexus 6 before that. I don't think I'd be happy with a screen smaller than 5.5". My Nexus 6 seemed large when I first got it, but now the smaller phones just look like silly useless toys to me.
If that's the case, I'm surprised you don't use an iPad as your phone!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heraclitus
If that's the case, I'm surprised you don't use an iPad as your phone!

I would consider it if it'd fit comfortably in my pocket.

On a serious note, my phone is used far more for computing and content consumption than it is as a phone, so the main size constraint for me is whether I can put it in my pocket comfortably. I had no issue with the Nexus 6. Related, I could fit a Nexus 7 tablet in my pocket, but it wasn't comfortable.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy

I would consider it if it'd fit comfortably in my pocket.
No problem. Take your pick.

Cowboy/Cowgirl's style:

FBI's style:

Last edited by Need; Mar 28, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, um no.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:37 pm

The FBI style tablet holster is very expensive! https://www.urbantool.com/en/product/gadget-vest/ otherwise I would have considered it. But still... any experiences ? Looks much nicer than my Scottevest stuff.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
The FBI style tablet holster is very expensive! https://www.urbantool.com/en/product/gadget-vest/ otherwise I would have considered it. But still... any experiences ? Looks much nicer than my Scottevest stuff.
Haha. Some may think that I look those up just to mess with SRQ Guy, but I actually looked those up a while ago. As I mentioned, I am using my 8" Samsung tablet all the time, I thought I would look up some alternative tablet carriers. I carry my tablet in a leather Murse normally, and the tablet is 5" wide so it also fit into all my jeans or pants (front and back) pocket (looks funny though). Is that a tablet in your pocket or you are just happy to see me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.