Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

how do you handle international data connectivity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how do you handle international data connectivity?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by PackingIt
No wifi at work. So consuming cellular data much of the time.
Aha... there's the problem. When I'm not traveling or at a client site, I'm in the home office. Pretty much everywhere I go, there is wifi and/or I just don't have the time to download much of anything besides email/news/the occasional podcast.

I think my record since having FI was 4gb of usage in a month, and that was when I was roaming in Jamaica where the hotel internet was useless.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by elluke
This topic is new to me but I think I got it, after reading many threads.
I am going to South Africa for two weeks. I have an unlocked ATT iphone 6 (US).

Paying $10 a day to ATT seems ridiculous so I'm looking at the following. Correct me if I am wrong in my thinking.
1) Buy a local SIM card for calls & data. Arriving late to airport so vendors might be closed. Can I easily find a place to get a SIM in Cape Town the next day? What kind of place? Do you buy a SIM card plus a voice and data plan? How does it work?

2) If I don't need to make phone calls, buy an international hotspot device and use that for all data.
There are a lot of good things to say about traveling with a hotspot, but the one bad thing that is often forgotten is that a hotspot doesn't manage your data consumption. Many phones and tablets simply treat a hotspot as something that doesn't need to be metered or triaged. Thus, you might accidentally download a 1 gig system update or the equivalent while using a 2g PAYG SIM card.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
TMany phones and tablets simply treat a hotspot as something that doesn't need to be metered or triaged.
At least for recent(-ish) versions of Android you can configure this. You can set a specific wifi SID as being metered, in which case it'll be treated much like a standard cellular data connection rather than wifi when it comes to things like app updates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.