Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mesh Wifi products

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:58 pm

Original Poster

Mesh Wifi products

Google wifi and Amplifi HD (from ubiquiti) are both going to be released in early December. There's a bunch of existing products out there (earlier versions of Amplifi, eero, etc).

Anybody using any of these or planning to check out the new products? What's the downside of using these simplified products? (For example, can any of them do QoS? Are there other features missing?)

There isn't a lot of info on the Google product yet, but the Amplifi HD sounds promising.

-David
Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think any mesh network will suffer from performance bottlenecks. The rule of thumb (and I don't know if they've figured out a way around this) is that each new base station you add cuts the available bandwidth in half.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
We did Meraki Mesh in a rented warehouse, a few months in we gave up and ran cable. I similarly struggled with using Amped Wireless devices in my parents' house.

I'm sure there is a use case for it, but if a wired connection to the additional AP is at all possible that is probably far superior.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I think any mesh network will suffer from performance bottlenecks. The rule of thumb (and I don't know if they've figured out a way around this) is that each new base station you add cuts the available bandwidth in half.
You are thinking of repeater meshes. If the 802.11 link stops, converts to 802.3, then converts to 802.11 again, there is no performance hit. That means there are two radios in the mesh unit. Which adds a bit to the price of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.