Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flexiroam X Review - Pan-International SIM sticker

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:42 pm

Advice please

Hi all,
My wife and I will be travelling in Europe late September through early November 2018 – Hungary, Czech Republic, Austria, northern Italy, Spain, via Doha both ways to/from Australia.
We are considering using Flexiroam for the first time as we have been stung, and let down, in the past using other forms of travel sims. Reading the information on the Flexiroam site is enticing. We intend using my wife's iphone 6, as my phone is too old – to check maps while we walk, train, tram, drive; search for activities, shows, diversions, make reservations; perhaps check Facebook and perhaps upload posts there; the usual I'm guessing for the majority of travellers.
My question is, does Whatsapp work OK with Flexiroam? We would want to message friends and family with where we're at and how we're going, stay in touch, etc. Perhaps even make a call or three. Any advice, suggestions and feedback would be very much appreciated.
Thanks and best wishes.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by pierd
Hi all,
My wife and I will be travelling in Europe late September through early November 2018 – Hungary, Czech Republic, Austria, northern Italy, Spain, via Doha both ways to/from Australia.
We are considering using Flexiroam for the first time as we have been stung, and let down, in the past using other forms of travel sims. Reading the information on the Flexiroam site is enticing. We intend using my wife's iphone 6, as my phone is too old – to check maps while we walk, train, tram, drive; search for activities, shows, diversions, make reservations; perhaps check Facebook and perhaps upload posts there; the usual I'm guessing for the majority of travellers.
My question is, does Whatsapp work OK with Flexiroam? We would want to message friends and family with where we're at and how we're going, stay in touch, etc. Perhaps even make a call or three. Any advice, suggestions and feedback would be very much appreciated.
Thanks and best wishes.
I generally travel to Asia, so only have limited experiences with Europe. My experience with Flexiroam has always been reliable and fast (which is why I chose them over some of their cheaper competitors). I use data the same way as you intend to: maps, searches, social media, uploading images and chatting (including voice). Whatsapp works perfectly fine.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:23 pm

I got an offer from Scoot for a starter pack which includes 100MB of data free - just have to pay the postage to NZ. My question is once I activate the starter pack how long does the data last for? Once it expires can I still buy a 7 day add on for the relevant country?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by pierd
Hi all,
Thanks and best wishes.
Depending which plan you buy my advice is to turn off mobile data when you're not using it for something specific like maps or whatever. I was surprised the first day by how fast my data was being used just by background stuff so I was more judicious after that. And make sure your phone is set to give priority to wifi over mobile data so when you've got wifi access you won't accidentally use mobile data instead.

I didn't use it to make any calls, but note that you cannot receive calls at this point. I see that it looks like they've added a dallier right to their app for making calls. And from the FAQ it looks like you can also set it so the receiver will see your home number on their end
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by Lissie45
I got an offer from Scoot for a starter pack which includes 100MB of data free - just have to pay the postage to NZ. My question is once I activate the starter pack how long does the data last for? Once it expires can I still buy a 7 day add on for the relevant country?
How long it lasts will depend on a number of factors including how heavily you are using your phone. 100MB is not a lot of data. My guess is that initial data expires after a couple of days if you don't use it all before then. You can add country-specific or the general data plans at any time
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:11 am

check the list of countries where flexi works

always check the everchanging list of territories where flexi works.

vietnam and dubai were some recent places i visited where it did not work.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by frobozzelectric
always check the everchanging list of territories where flexi works.

vietnam and dubai were some recent places i visited where it did not work.
It hasn’t worked for UAE for as far as I can remember, and Vietnam just doesn’t work with any global data company at all (including Google Fi). Neither has anything to do with changes.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:46 am

Price comparison

Originally Posted by edcaya
At $30/GB, Flexiroam doesn't compare as favorably to KnowRoaming's 1/3/7-day unlimited data packages.
It seems Flexiroam X now has some very interesting discounts and seems cheaper than KnowRoaming. Anyone has any ideia of price comparison?
Old May 19, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by moreira
It seems Flexiroam X now has some very interesting discounts and seems cheaper than KnowRoaming. Anyone has any ideia of price comparison?
The price discount is nice, but I think a lot of reviews neglect to compare speed and coverage. Data is not very useful if it's not fast or connection isn't stable.

I think that's Flexiroam's selling point, even if it's not the cheapest.
Old May 19, 2018, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
I think a lot of the appeal of Flexiroam lies in usage.

For example, I do a lot of business travel all over the world. It doesn't matter if I'm in a 3 hour layover in Heathrow, Frankfurt, Mexico City, Tokyo or Singapore - I'm going to be able to turn my phone on and it just works.

Next week, I'll be in Shanghai for 36 hours, with layovers in Frankfurt and Vienna. Sure, I COULD pay $10 a day to roam... or I could buy a local SIM, but then, am I going to buy a SIM for Germany and another one for Austria? And am I going to take time away from my clients - who are meeting me at the airport - to go shopping for a local SIM, for what is basically a 1 day stay?

The SIM is always with me, I never have to worry about losing it, I don't need to worry about pre-paying for a local SIM and only using half... it just works. It's awesome.

Now, all that being said, I've since switched to Google Fi which is even MORE impressive, but if you're not prepared to do that, Flexiroam really can't be beat for ease.

Now, if I was going to stay for a week or more in one particular destination? Sure. Get a local SIM. Absolutely. But Flexiroam means you don't HAVE to.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:09 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Cool

Just ordered my Flexiroam from AMAZON.DE it is on sale for EUR 7,95 for 1 GB for 30 days including local shipping.....
Woinder if it will work OK and If I can attach it easily to my sim.
Will use ist on a cruise as each port of call seems to have its own network a local sim is not an option - will mostly use it in Cozumel, Puerto Rico, US Virgin islands and the USA - I assume all those are covered?!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA
I just came back from TPE, HKG, SFO using a combination of Flexiroam and Boingo Passpoint. I have to admit that the experience using Flexiroam was seamless. Since I was spending less than 2 days at each location, buying a prepaid SIM at each location didn't make much sense. I used my usual apps ie. uber, google maps, whatsapp, social media, email and Skype for calls.

I'm based out of KUL so I actually went to the Flexiroam office to get the sticker installed on my SIM. Fantastic and very friendly service overall!

The only complaint I have is that the data utilization within the Flexiroam app seems to be consistently 30% or so higher than what my iPhone shows. Otherwise highly recommended.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:10 pm

Hi gameover98,

Thank you for your kind comments, that is our mission to make sure everyone have a seamless data roaming experience.
Let us know if you have questions and concerns.
bukzin likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:17 pm

Hi Germanffly,

Yes, it will work okay just make sure the sticker is attached correctly.
We cover all areas in the United States & Mexico besides Puerto Rico.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:20 pm

For those who haven't tried it yet, there's an ongoing buy 1 free 1 for starter packs. Valid until October 21st.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.