Where's all that memory going?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where's all that memory going?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by BigLar
BTW - these "60 watt" LEDs are rated at ~800 lumens, while the old bulbs claim 650 or so. They are really bright. I plan on replacing them with "40 watt" LEDs, so I can work at my desk without having to wear my sunglasses and save even more.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
I'm very happy with medium-wattage LED lights of that sort, although I tend to prefer fewer higher-wattage fixtures for which LED bulbs are still pricy. I've been putting them into new fixtures, but pretty much all my existing ones are still CFLs and will be until the presently-installed ones die. Hopefully 100W (or better yet 125W) equivalent daylight LED bulbs will be more affordable by then; if not I may look into some 2-into-1 splitters for the 60W.

I discovered something interesting with LED bulbs: the "bulb" is purely for diffusion. I broke the glass on a relatively expensive 75W bulb, and the LED elements in the bottom work just fine bare (indeed, they probably are better cooled without it.) Very nice change from incandescents (toast) or worse yet CFLs (where the paranoid-of-mercury sorts would freak out on a break.)

I am really hoping to get my roof insulated in the next few years and when that's done, get solar panels. At ~35c per marginal kilowatt hour (ones closer to baseline are cheaper but we're up around 200% already) solar will pay off pretty quickly.

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Windows or tabs? I'm thinking that if you can run as multiple tabs instead of multiple windows (which, I think, would be multiple instances of the Chrome program), you'd be much better off on lowering RAM usage.
Chrome and Firefox run tabs and windows the same way (internally; there are differences between Chrome and Firefox and how they handle process isolation) Both won't (normally) ever run a whole second instance, although they can be subverted to do so.

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
is there an "Extended" task manager that adds the tab name in a Task Manager ?
the 952k tab may just be something stupid , but I have no how to find out !
Try Process Explorer (from Microsoft) : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...sexplorer.aspx although I'm not sure it will give the specific additional information you want, it's pretty much the most detailed view of what's running available.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:38 am

I have many Windows open and each window has lots of tabs open on each window

and looking at Task Manager it looks like each tab is another process that takes up memory , from 952k down to 13k

but on task manager it does not say which tab name is eating the 952k and you cannot kill off just one tab thru Task Manager

is there an "Extended" task manager that adds the tab name in a Task Manager ?
the 952k tab may just be something stupid , but I have no how to find out !
If I understand what you are trying to do, hit Shift-Escape in Chrome and it will pop up a windows showing what each of your tabs is consuming. You can select a tab and click on the End Process button to close it.

As I type this, my Gmail tab is north of 1GB of memory, for example.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by unmesh
If I understand what you are trying to do, hit Shift-Escape in Chrome and it will pop up a windows showing what each of your tabs is consuming. You can select a tab and click on the End Process button to close it.

As I type this, my Gmail tab is north of 1GB of memory, for example.
Why does Gmail take so much ? its mostly text

I just checked on my Chromebook and its 418meg for Gmail

It would be nice if they just loaded the first page or 2 of Gmail, no reason you need all of it on the spot , or at least give you the option.

Chrome browser is only 209 meg , which even seems high ,

I think they just throw in everything on every program ,, including the "kitchen sink" and do not have levels you can use , from Basic web browsing to full on production,

and since memory is "cheap" there is no reason to do "tight" coding anymore , when you think back to all you could do on a Mac SE box with a meg of memory,

Are there websites that have set-up "low resource" set-ups for popular browsers like Chrome , firefox , etc ?

Last edited by LAXlocal; Nov 26, 2016 at 11:58 am
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Are there websites that have set-up "low resource" set-ups for popular browsers like Chrome , firefox , etc ?
Many. Often loading the mobile version is effectively that, and some (notably Gmail and Facebook) have basic HTML versions with limited Javascript.

For Gmail: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/15049?hl=en
For Facebook: https://mbasic.facebook.com/

Also, the main thing that uses RAM on here is a mixture of aggressive caching (to seem faster) and the fact that Javascript is a huge steaming turd of a language.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.