Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wireless Noise Cancelling: Sennheiser PXC-550 vs. Sony MDR1000X

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The 1000X has been my travel headphone for the last 6 months or so - no wear or tear, scratch, crack or anything.

I haven't heard the QC35, but sound quality-wise the 1000X runs circles around the QC15 and the NC is also better on the Sony. I read that the QC35 is an improvement over the QC15.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Does WH-1000XM2 suffer same behavior as 1000X where if not connected to a Bluetooth source, NC is not available? Sometimes I just want peace and quiet without having to listen to any music.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by seawolf
Does WH-1000XM2 suffer same behavior as 1000X where if not connected to a Bluetooth source, NC is not available? Sometimes I just want peace and quiet without having to listen to any music.
While not directly answering your question, I believe the 1000X still operates when plugged into a headphone jack. So, I'm wondering if something like this would do the trick if the new model indeed still has that flaw?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NBJW3T5/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510620688&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=3.5+mm+right+ang le+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=41K6ThqwQ8L&ref=plSrch
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:28 am
Original Member

Amazon has MDR1000X/B listed for $228.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:27 am

Had opportunity to try new Bowers & Wilkins wireless PX on recent flights. Absolutely wonderful - sound quality, build quality, noise reduction and wearing comfort. Already purchased my own and thoroughly recommend.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: *G
2 suggestions:

(1) Audio Technica ATH-M50x w/ Brooklyn Labs wireless adapter. Hugely popular studio monitors, with a 3rd party bluetooth 4.x wireless adapter. The adapter has signal noise ratio of 80dB which isnt fantastic, but keep in mind the listening source and environment - phone + noisy train/plane/city - and its a non issue. Doesnt have noise cancellation but with over-ear design it muffles exterior sound enough. Bottom line is that the actual use-case listening experience is very good. Both can be purchased for roughly ~$150 from Amazon.

(2) Wait on your purchase. Why wireless headphones took a while to take off was limitations of technology. The bandwidth and implementation wasnt good until BT 4.x, AptX codec, etc. Connection quality and audio quality was rubbish before that. Thing is, Bluetooth 5 just came out , implemented in recent phones like Samsung S8, iPhone 8, etc. The next generation of BT 5 headphones should be a leap forward in terms of range and bandwidth for higher audio quality. That's what I'm waiting for.
roberino likes this.

Last edited by deniah; Nov 20, 2017 at 9:56 am
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:30 am
Original Member

Both Amazon and Best Buy has the WI1000X at $229.99 today.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: MileagePLUS Premier Gold, Skywards Gold and Flying Blue Petroleum Club
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Amazon is saying that the Sennheiser HD1 is the new replacement for the Momentum 2.0 - any comment?
Sent my Momentum 2.0's in for service due to reduced battery life recently; they sent me a brand new pair of HD1's. How is that for service!

To be perfectly honest I couldn't really tell the difference between the two headsets but hey.. shiney and new.

Kurt
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: VX, AA, Amex Platinum,Amex Gold, HHonors Diamond , Marriott Plat Elite, Chase CSP
This is incredibly helpful OP. I've been reading reviews for months about headphones in advance of my new years trip. My regular over the ears have been functional, but it's time to invest in some ANC. This is the most extensive and helpful review yet. I had already decided the Bose weren't a good chose because sound quality is important to me (I even have the perfect test song for lows, highs and mids). I was leaning toward the Sony's but didn't feel good about it. I feel GREAT about it now, and am off to find the best price. Thank you for your diligence.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Deeloveli
This is incredibly helpful OP. I've been reading reviews for months about headphones in advance of my new years trip. My regular over the ears have been functional, but it's time to invest in some ANC. This is the most extensive and helpful review yet. I had already decided the Bose weren't a good chose because sound quality is important to me (I even have the perfect test song for lows, highs and mids). I was leaning toward the Sony's but didn't feel good about it. I feel GREAT about it now, and am off to find the best price. Thank you for your diligence.
You're welcome! Thanks for the kind words - I was in a similar dilemma when I started this thread last year.

As you're shopping, please note that my OP (and my subsequent updates) are all about models that were available in late 2016 (and the Sony MDR1000X in particular). Sony has since come out with an updated version of the same headphones which others have added some thoughts about within this thread.

I personally am still using the "original" MDR1000X I purchased last year. Still like them, expect them to last quite a while longer, and haven't really looked at others since then.
Deeloveli likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.