Looking for a new laptop.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:01 pm
was thetravelingRedhead
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Looking for a new laptop.

Hi all,

I sold my Lenovo that inherited from work, and my fiance said that I would be getting a new computer this Christmas. However, I am having the hardest time trying to find something that fits my needs.

Must haves:
  • $1,000 and under in price
  • Atleast 6GB of RAM (does ram matter now? I want to learn how to code and build websites but I want a cost effective solution that makes it so I can do these things easily. My old Lenovo had 24GB of ram but I didnt really feel the speed at all.)
  • SSD (doesn't matter for size)
  • i3 or better processors
  • Long battery life (prefer above 8 hours)
  • Durability + Reliability
  • Screen size under 13".
  • Windows 10 pro, Linux, Chromebook is an option maybe- but I think my needs (which involve learning how to code and build websites and apps, no CAD or GIS on this computer) means I will have to have Windows.

Wants:
  • 2 in 1 Features (convertible or detachable tablet.)
  • Fingerprint reader
  • Cellular capability (probably not possible and more of a major want than need).
  • HD display.

The ones that I found that were close to these specs include the Razer Blade Edge, HP Spectre x365, Macbook Air ( I really don't want another, I had a base model and it was terrible). I am 100% open to refurb laptops- some of the best machines I have ever had have been refurbished.

Thanks all!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Lenovo ThinkPad x220t (often sold as x220 tablet). You can have it for <$200 on fleabay and it ticks all of the above. Even the 6 cell gives you 7:51 http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/re...-over-20-hours and you can go much, much higher with bigger battery and a neat slice attaching under. HD display, 1366 x 768, yes. 12" display. Built like an effin tank. Fingerprint, tablet mode, cellular, everything is there.

You will probably need to update it yourself to have 8GB (and maybe SSD) but it's easy.

For example, http://www.ebay.com/itm/28-Lenovo-Th...wAAOSwG-1Wuxmr this is not bad, $200 seller refurbished, 160GB SSD. The only challenge is the WWAN which you probably will need to install too and it's not as easy as adding a memory stick but then again it's not hard either just takes a little patience. Do note of http://www.ebay.com/itm/252258649829 this card, it allows you to have wifi and 3G in the half sized slot and mSATA in the full sized slot. You probably need a patched BIOS for that, here http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...elease.782077/

Last edited by chx1975; Nov 3, 2016 at 1:44 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: Dirt
A business model (ThinkPads, Latitudes, ProBooks/EliteBooks) will be more durable and easier to service than the comparable consumer model.

If you want to stay with the ThinkPad family, a X260 or a ThinkPad 13 could fit in your budget. i5-6200u or i3-6100u should work fine. High end i5 or i7 dual core processors suffer from diminishing returns so I would skip them. 8GB RAM at least unless you want to upgrade yourself. Though having the page file on SSD means the computer suffers less speed penalty when it accesses virtual memory.

A developer needs memory. As a web developer, you will want to have development web servers running as virtual machines to isolate them from the patch/dll changes on the host.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
ThinkPad 13. You can get black or silver. (Edited to add: looks like only black has the fingerprint reader.)

Must haves:
  • $1,000 and under in price - yes
  • At least 6GB of RAM - yes; 8 GB
  • SSD (doesn't matter for size) - yes; 256GB
  • i3 or better processors - yes, i5
  • Long battery life (prefer above 8 hours) - yes
  • Durability + Reliability - yes
  • Screen size under 13" - 13.3" (don't be whiny )
  • Windows 10 pro, Linux - Windows 10 Pro

Wants:
  • 2 in 1 Features (convertible or detachable tablet.) - Too bad
  • Fingerprint reader - AVAILABLE
  • Cellular capability (probably not possible and more of a major want than need) - Too bad
  • HD display - AVAILABLE

I'm seeing it right now configured with fingerprint and HD display plus all your "needs" at $793.90.

3.17 pounds to boot.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Nov 4, 2016 at 8:31 pm
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:42 pm

I'll have to go with HP Spectre x360. This is a great thin, 2-in-1, 13.3" convertible. This model has better specs compared to HP Envy models. I think this is a great laptop for web development. My developer friends use HP-model laptops and they found them reliable. The great thing about HP laptops are the slots and expansion features most of their laptops have.

Originally Posted by hipplas93
You need to choose one of the Alienware laptops, they are the best on hardware requirements.
I agree with this but expect the price to be very high.

Originally Posted by msb0b
..A developer needs memory. As a web developer, you will want to have development web servers running as virtual machines to isolate them from the patch/dll changes on the host.
Yes, this is true.

Last edited by PFSHero; Nov 6, 2016 at 9:10 pm
Old Nov 5, 2016, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Get a 2012 MBP non-retina 13 inch. You can upgrade both the hard drive and memory.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: Hippo
You need to choose one of the Alienware laptops, they are the best on hardware requirements.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by hipplas93
Disagree, they're overpriced for what they are. OP should stick to a business line for capable hardware, high serviceability, and competitive pricing.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
Disagree, they're overpriced for what they are.
Not only overpriced but also bulky and ugly (especially compared to the Razer machines which are fantastic but also quite pricey.).
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:14 pm

For coding you want a big screen and/or multiple screens. So also budget in a big monitor to connect to the laptop.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:35 am

I think Surface Pro 4 has everything OP wants except cellular.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
For a bargain:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-VivoBoo...257?rmvSB=true

Details about ASUS VivoBook Flip TP301UA 13.3" Ultra Slim 2-in-1 Full HD Touchscreen Notebook
Intel Core i5-6200U 2.3GHz, 6GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Win 10

Get an external monitor for use at home if you want more screen space.

I learned to program back when we used punch cards so I'm not as picky :-)

Personally I use a Samsung Series 9 15 most of the time at home with an external 24 inch monitor, and another Samsung ATIV Book 9 NP930X2K-K02US for traveling by air when no upgrade available because its smaller.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
If you don't mind bumping to 14" the X1 Carbon is an incredible laptop and refurbs are available at all price ranges.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Need
I think Surface Pro 4 has everything OP wants except cellular.
And a price below $1,000. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.